Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 09:59 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I cannot understand the demeaning mentality of some folks that assume unemployed people are lazy couch potatoes. Sitting around the house getting bored? WTF.

Like work is the only thing that makes us tick as human beings and we would be bored without it?

Once your job stops consuming your life, you realize that you HAVE a life.
I have noticed this is so common among Americans in particular. You are viewed as a cesspool of humanity if you don't spend 40-60 hours every week for the rest of your life punching a clock to make some greedy corporate CEO rich.

If you're in serious financial hardship, or have a family to support and have no savings, then sure, finding a job is important to sustain your lifestyle. But some people take time off to enjoy life, and have savings to do so. Who on earth dictated that we should be required to slave our life away in some mundane, miserable job and if we don't have one for a period of time, we should spend all our free time slaving away to find a mundane, miserable job?

Europeans work to live, whereas we live to work. And Europeans by far have higher quality of living than us. No wonder Americans are materialistic, fat, and miserable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 10:22 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,138,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I have noticed this is so common among Americans in particular. You are viewed as a cesspool of humanity if you don't spend 40-60 hours every week for the rest of your life punching a clock to make some greedy corporate CEO rich.

If you're in serious financial hardship, or have a family to support and have no savings, then sure, finding a job is important to sustain your lifestyle. But some people take time off to enjoy life, and have savings to do so. Who on earth dictated that we should be required to slave our life away in some mundane, miserable job and if we don't have one for a period of time, we should spend all our free time slaving away to find a mundane, miserable job?

Europeans work to live, whereas we live to work. And Europeans by far have higher quality of living than us. No wonder Americans are materialistic, fat, and miserable.
This is well put. Work to live. Get what you can out of where you work and then go party! If you have a cushion of money to play with get on the plane or train and go somewhere.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:48 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,944 times
I became an outcast and a weekend traveler. LOL.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:05 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,903,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
Unless you are in a career that has lots of openings I do not believe the posters who say they can devote the entire day to job hunting activities. You could spend a significant amount of time to professional development though.
If your definition of 'job hunting' is merely emailing/uploading the same identical resume only for advertised job openings, then no, that wouldn't take all day.

But for many people, 'job hunting' means much more--researching the specifics of a company, tailoring each resume and cover letter to that specific company and the specific job opening. It also means utilizing the 'hidden job' network and sending resumes to companies that may not be publicly hiring (which is a vastly larger pool of targets than merely a job board). It also means developing and maintaining one's professional network by corresponding with professional peers, staying active in industry associations and activities, following up with potential leads, and practicing interviewing skills. And then there's professional development, which is a much more involved activity.

This is what it means to say that looking for a job is a full-time job.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:27 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
If your definition of 'job hunting' is merely emailing/uploading the same identical resume only for advertised job openings, then no, that wouldn't take all day.

But for many people, 'job hunting' means much more--researching the specifics of a company, tailoring each resume and cover letter to that specific company and the specific job opening. It also means utilizing the 'hidden job' network and sending resumes to companies that may not be publicly hiring (which is a vastly larger pool of targets than merely a job board). It also means developing and maintaining one's professional network by corresponding with professional peers, staying active in industry associations and activities, following up with potential leads, and practicing interviewing skills. And then there's professional development, which is a much more involved activity.

This is what it means to say that looking for a job is a full-time job.
Very well said. It can take hours and hours each and every day. And the hours pass quickly.

Part of this is reading newspapers and other periodicals, to find out about companies in your area that are expanding, or new companies that are going to relocate to your area, or simply to learn about companies in your area that you didn't know about.

You also spend time researching recruiters and fielding calls from recruiters. They are all screening interviews, so you have to be on your toes for every one of the calls. And take detailed notes. You learn alot about hiring trends and pay rates from recruiters. If you fit well with a recruiter, they will spend time each week looking for a job for you and submitting your resume on your behalf.

After awhile, if all goes well, you are in a whirlwind of interviews. Then your time is spent preparing for each interview.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:52 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
To all of those who are unemployed and are having a blast:

How do you manage to do all those things where you have no income, and you still have bills to pay? I've been out of school since I graduated June of 2010, and I find my life boring. I can't get a job, and I have no money to go out and do things.
That's why they get unemployment checks.

I've never been unemployed, never got paid to do nothing, but my relative has. He had a lot of fun, traveled to Florida to spend his winters there. He loved being able to sleep until noon, could vacation in the sun instead of putting up with cold and snow.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:58 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's why they get unemployment checks.

I've never been unemployed, never got paid to do nothing, but my relative has. He had a lot of fun, traveled to Florida to spend his winters there. He loved being able to sleep until noon, could vacation in the sun instead of putting up with cold and snow.
You can't have a BLAST receiving unemployment checks

Old 12-26-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
You can't have a BLAST receiving unemployment checks
He said he did and he sure seemed to have a blast. He made TWO trips down to Florida one winter while he was unemployed but just one the winter before. He really loved being unemployed in the summer to go boating and also use his jet skis.

He went the whole 99 weeks but then the fun was over, the checks were going to stop coming so he had to get a job and get used to having to show up on time and be at work and only have weekends to play.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:25 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
He said he did and he sure seemed to have a blast. He made TWO trips down to Florida one winter while he was unemployed but just one the winter before. He really loved being unemployed in the summer to go boating and also use his jet skis.

He went the whole 99 weeks but then the fun was over, the checks were going to stop coming so he had to get a job and get used to having to show up on time and be at work and only have weekends to play.
And this right here is why U/C should be reduced from 99 to 59 weeks because people became to comfortable not working and treating it as a income.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
And this right here is why U/C should be reduced from 99 to 59 weeks because people became to comfortable not working and treating it as a income.
Yes he says that - he said after almost 2 years of just kicking back and having fun, sleeping in, bumming around the beaches in the winter in Florida, it was kind of rough having to set an alarm clock and have to show up on time to work and now have to shovel snow in order to get the car out to get to work.

I think unemployment woud be great fun if you could count on perpetual extensions but the thought of a 2 year vacation and THEN having to face getting up, fighting traffic and working all day would be bad. I think I'll just go on working so I don't have to deal with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment