U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-01-2012, 03:01 AM
GPC GPC started this thread

990 posts, read 1,530,338 times

Advertisements

Forgive me if this information is in another thread. I tried searching a bit and concluded it would be better to just submit a new thread. I've been working on a 'temporary' basis since November 2010. I work 40+ hours per week and haven't even taken one sick day in these 14 months. I moved to NC from NY in July 2010. I left a full-time job in NY and worked full-time in NY for over 20 years. My current gig has been extended through the end of March and will likely be extended again. I've been going out of my way to be hired on a permanent basis but haven't had any luck in that regard. I realize companies try to save money on benefits by keeping people on as temps. Anyway, naturally I hope to continue working but am just wondering if my assignment does come to an end, how long can I collect unemployment benefits? I had to collect it briefly years ago in NY and back then it was 26 weeks. I know the current economy has changed things and I've recently read about 'extended benefits' and '99-ers'. Can anyone tell me what the deal for 2012 is? Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 10:55 AM

5,564 posts, read 10,603,368 times
Based on current legislation and the fact you are likely working through March 2012 or longer...you would be entitled to state benefits only which are somewhere between 20-26 weeks. Unless legislation is passed extending EUC or EB that is all you would be entitled to.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 12,192 times
I have a question and the lines are always buisy at the offices so my benefit year ends in june 2012 and I ran out of money in two more weeks will I be able to reaarply or something to get extra money because I need it to pay bills and stuff and I was wondering what I could do although I have ran out of money but my benefit year is not up yet could someone please help me and i am a college student also

Old 01-01-2012, 05:21 PM

14,384 posts, read 19,160,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by star_440 View Post
I have a question and the lines are always buisy at the offices so my benefit year ends in june 2012 and I ran out of money in two more weeks will I be able to reaarply or something to get extra money because I need it to pay bills and stuff and I was wondering what I could do although I have ran out of money but my benefit year is not up yet could someone please help me and i am a college student also
North Carolina should automatically transition you to Tier 1, assuming they have approved your schooling. KEEP CLAIMING.

More information on eligibility here:

DES NC Individual Services: Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC08) Q & A's

http://www.city-data.com/forum/22354433-post20.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/22276137-post277.html

Last edited by Ariadne22; 01-01-2012 at 05:39 PM..

Old 01-01-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_440 View Post
Your question has nothing to do with my question. You should start your own thread and only respond to threads if you have something to add to the OP's question.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
if my assignment does come to an end, how long can I collect unemployment benefits? I had to collect it briefly years ago in NY and back then it was 26 weeks. I know the current economy has changed things and I've recently read about 'extended benefits' and '99-ers'. Can anyone tell me what the deal for 2012 is? Thanks.
Myrc60 has told you correctly. Without further extension by Congress, your benefits would be limited to 26 weeks.

The 99 week program is still in effect through February 29, 2012 as follows:

26 weeks State Benefits (some states have reduced this to 23 weeks, or less, and tied the number of state benefit weeks to unemployment rate (FL))
20 weeks EUC Tier 1
14 weeks EUC Tier 2
13 weeks EUC Tier 3 (trigger 6%)
07 weeks EUC Tier 4 (trigger 8.5%)
13 weeks EB (trigger 6%)
07 weeks High EB (trigger 8%)

You will file in NY state. NY is no longer paying Tier 4 because of a reduced unemployment rate.

EB/HUP in its entirety will probably be phased out this year. In its most recent extension, Congress failed to correct the lookback to four years, which means most states will be noncompliant at some point after the end of February.

Further, Congress wants to reduce overall federal benefits to no more than 33 weeks. Which means probably the elimination of Tiers 3 and 4, in addition to EB.

For now, you are wise to plan on state benefits of 26 weeks and probably Tiers 1 and 2 (reduced to 13 weeks) until Congress addresses the program again in February.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 01-01-2012 at 09:37 PM..

Old 01-04-2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
You will file in NY state. NY is no longer paying Tier 4 because of a reduced unemployment rate.
Why would I file in NY? If my assignment does end in March, I'll have worked 17 months in NC and have been a resident of NC for 21 months. I thought they go back 18 months for calculation purposes.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:42 AM

114 posts, read 214,737 times
what qualifies people for tier 3 and 4 if the state has high unemployment rate?

I know in Mississippi my benefits ran out last week and have not seen a tier 3 active yet, the claim is still open and I can still file weekly cert but get nothing for it.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Why would I file in NY? If my assignment does end in March, I'll have worked 17 months in NC and have been a resident of NC for 21 months. I thought they go back 18 months for calculation purposes.
Sorry, I misread your post. So many references in NY to your post, I 'misspoke.' You would file in NC.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot474 View Post
what qualifies people for tier 3 and 4 if the state has high unemployment rate?

I know in Mississippi my benefits ran out last week and have not seen a tier 3 active yet, the claim is still open and I can still file weekly cert but get nothing for it.
MS is triggered on to Tiers 3 and 4. It may take them a week or so to transition you to Tier 3, if that is your question, as a monetary reevaluation is required whenever you move from one Tier to the next.

Emergency Unemployment Compensation Trigger Notice Report
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment