Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2012, 09:58 PM

114 posts, read 495,207 times

Advertisements

I saw this on the website:

Quote:
When a State begins an Extended Benefit (EB) period, those individuals who have received all of their regular benefits are notified that they may be eligible for Extended Benefits. The basic EB program provides up to 13 additional weeks of benefits when a State is experiencing high unemployment.

Is this the same as EUC Tiers or is this after everything runs out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 10:03 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,460,696 times
EB is the last 20 weeks of federal benefits after EUC (see FAQs thread at top of this board) assuming unemployment rate and lookback triggers are met. MS hasn't paid EB since 1983. It needs to initiate state legislation to allow it to pay EB. AZ is another state which could pay EB, but doesn't on principle. EB, for all practical purposes, will phase out this year, anyway, because Congress in this most recent extension failed to correct the lookback. (see FAQs, or the 2012 extension thread beginning pg 26)

Write your state legislators. Let us know what they say. http://bestsmileys.com/lol/1.gif (broken link)

Old 01-04-2012, 10:35 PM

Jesus, I never kept track what government does, but I think I saw at some point in the last few weeks the Mississippi unemployment rate was hovering around 9 or 10%, which I would think cause for some action to be taken.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:02 AM

Not your state. MS unemployment is 10.5%, per BLS.

Per Gov. Barbour, here:
Quote:
"The unemployment insurance reform, if you will, would require the state to pay people who are not willing to take a full-time job," Barbour told FOX News, saying his state is not going to expand benefits to part-time workers. "We're not going to change that. ... We're going to give up about $50 million of federal money."

"There is some (money) we will not take in Mississippi. ... We want more jobs. You don't get more jobs by putting an extra tax on creating jobs," Barbour told CNN's "State of the Union' on Sunday.
Handful Of Governors May Refuse Federal Unemployment Benefits | Fox News
I think that comment was made BEFORE govt went to 100% funding of EB, so MS would have had to pay 50% of the cost of the benefits at that time. Since then, EB is 100% federally funded, no cost to the states, but, on principle, MS, won't accept the money. The belief is "it is still taxpayer money."

Write and call your legislators. I did in WI when EB fell through the cracks last June. I made a lot of noise via email and phone calls to our legislators and newspaper. Got a followup from a reporter when things got politically interesting. Legislation was enacted a couple of months later. Of course, our Gov is fighting off a recall so politically he chose not to oppose it.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 01-05-2012 at 11:13 AM..

Old 01-05-2012, 03:27 PM

Interesting because this part here:

Quote:
would require the state to pay people who are not willing to take a full-time job

The problem I have noticed in this state is their is just not any full time jobs to take, I know a place like Wal-Mart which probably holds more jobs in the state than anyone else unless its offshore workers, does not even hire for full time positions anymore. Every job I have had was either part-time or temporary.

I think it would be a wasted effort to really start calling and emailing, its never done any good in the past on other situations.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:13 PM

Yep, Wal-Mart hires part-time so it doesn't have to pay benefits or health insurance and tells their people to apply for food stamps and state health insurance. Frontline has a video on their site - or go to youtube.

There really aren't a lot of decent full-time jobs in many states. Although I've noticed in WI, there are many office jobs available lately paying $10-$14/hr. Asking for degrees, broad range of technical skills, etc., but still terrible wages. I was earning that 20 years ago. Skilled welders in big demand here right now, wages well over $20/hr plus benefits.

You might want to consider moving to a state with better unemployment numbers.

Unemployment Rates for States

You may have read N. Dakota is booming because of oil. Very poor living conditions right now, but huge money. Certain parts of Texas and Louisiana also doing better.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:45 PM

I know Louisiana is doing better, I originally lived there for nearly 25 years until Katrina, I know most people in Mississippi that even has money or any decent money so to speak, got it working in Louisiana in the oil field or offshore work.

I think one of my big problems right now since unemployment ended though is actually moving out of the state because as it stands, I really got no income atm or know any relatives outside where I am at right now.

I am one of those folks who really dont know what jobs exist out there and whos hiring as most whoever is hiring, you never know about it as its never advertised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment