Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2012, 04:52 PM

10 posts, read 16,698 times

Advertisements

My last state benefit was Dec. 24th. How long does it typically take to transition from state unemployment to federal tier I? Is there typically a lapse in pay? I haven't recieved any mail yet as how to apply, do I have to wait for the mail to apply?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 05:11 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1801 View Post
My last state benefit was Dec. 24th. How long does it typically take to transition from state unemployment to federal tier I? Is there typically a lapse in pay? I haven't recieved any mail yet as how to apply, do I have to wait for the mail to apply?
Keep claiming. You might experience a one-week lapse in benefit. Your claim triggers the transition. Other info here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/22177474-post2.html

Old 01-07-2012, 07:04 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,538 times
In CT anyway it seems easy so far, filed for my 26 th claim on 1/1/12... Got paid for that on Wednesday 1/4/12. Also on Wednesday 1/4/12 I got a letter from CT dept of labor stating I was eligible to apply for EUC through the telebenefits line, which I did. Said I had 3 weeks from date of letter to call, so I called immediately, Phone system asked me some questions to confirm my eligibility, such as have I worked since I initially filed my claim, am I able to work, looking for work, etc etc.

Yesterday I received another letter in the mail stating my claim amount for 20 weeks, and it is the exact weekly amount as my first 26 weeks. Letter also states to begin weekly claims the Sunday after I receive this letter, which would be tomorrow.

So from start to finish CT took less than a week to transition me from my 26th payment to Tier 1 of EUC. I'm assuming once I claim tomorrow morning, I will be paid by Wednesday as usual. I must say, so far CT has been on the ball with my claim anyway, I talked to a claim rep only 2x, once to file my original claim, and once for my adjudication hearing where they went over my severance package, etc etc.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:52 PM

162 posts, read 886,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1801 View Post
I had a 1 week lapse in pay. You can wait for the paper that the system sends out when you exhaust or you can call and do a phone application (which seems to be faster) I waited 4 days for my paper then mailed it out. Over a week later, still nothing. So I called and did a phone application and he set me up to claim my weeks plus my back weeks that Sunday.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:52 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,277,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by student_101 View Post
I had a 1 week lapse in pay. You can wait for the paper that the system sends out when you exhaust or you can call and do a phone application (which seems to be faster) I waited 4 days for my paper then mailed it out. Over a week later, still nothing. So I called and did a phone application and he set me up to claim my weeks plus my back weeks that Sunday.
Do you have to talk to a person? That seems to be the holdup for many people. I know it's almost impossible to get my state (FL) on the phone. You do everything online (including file your initial claim), so I wonder if you have to speak to a person to move from State to Tier 1? When you say one week lapse in pay, do you mean that you get paid for that week, just one week later? Or do you forfeit a week of pay?

Old 01-10-2012, 09:00 PM

Lapse depends on state. In CA, there is a one-week lapse, because of biweekly claiming. Often, the last week of state benefits is the first week of a biweekly claim. CA won't pay state and federal benefits in the same biweekly period. Student is in PA. Their procedure is different than FL's or CA's. Haven't heard on this board about a lapse in FL, except to say it is impossible to reach anyone and very slow in processing at times, especially EB.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:09 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,277,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Lapse depends on state. In CA, there is a one-week lapse, because of biweekly claiming. Often, the last week of state benefits is the first week of a biweekly claim. CA won't pay state and federal benefits in the same biweekly period. Student is in PA. Their procedure is different than FL's or CA's. Haven't heard on this board about a lapse in FL, except to say it is impossible to reach anyone and very slow in processing at times, especially EB.
Ok, EB and EUC are different, right? And is EUC federal or state? My husband receives his final state payment Feb 14, so I assume that he gets 20 weeks of Tier 1 (which is EUC, right?). I wonder if he can file online or if he has to speak to someone.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Ok, EB and EUC are different, right? And is EUC federal or state?

My husband receives his final state payment Feb 14, so I assume that he gets 20 weeks of Tier 1 (which is EUC, right?). I wonder if he can file online or if he has to speak to someone.
EUC and EB are both federal programs. See FAQs. He is eligible for Tier 1. See FAQs. He needs to continue to claim. If FL needs him to do more, he will receive a message when he claims, or some type of correspondence. Check FL website. They may have info on their process there.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:42 AM

20 posts, read 29,874 times
Default Transitioning to Tier 1 in PA

Unless I get hired this week Am applying for jobs, and going to school at night - but so far, nothing.

Have any other readers in PA transitioned from state to federal benefits? My understanding is that I will receive an application in the mail, but I have seen nothing yet.

Trying not to stress, but the mortgage will be due again soon.

Any info. appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment