Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 10:04 PM

4 posts, read 10,508 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]I started to collect Connecticut unemployment benefits on January 15, 2011 I collected for 2 months, because there was no work in my company. I went back to work on April 6, 2011 I work all the way until September 5, 2011. On November 17, 2011 I exhausted my benefits. I applied for Emergency Benefits which they approved for 20 weeks. On Sunday 5, 2012 when I tried to make weekly claimed online as I always do it said something about “You need to apply for a possible second year benefits” When I called the Connecticut department of labor benefits line they told they would open a new claim, because my claim had expired. At this point I had only collected about 9 weeks of the 20 weeks they approved my remaining balance was around 4,000 and after the new claim my remaining balance is about 9,800 I don’t understand what’s its going on. Couple of days later I received a letter saying something about I need contact at least three employers or something, because some people who do weekly claim could be audit. In the letter said I need to keep record of the employers I contacted, but do not say anything about sending proof. I was reading and some people say that you need file a Work search sheet only if you are receiving EB but you don’t hast to do it if you are receiving EUC what’s the different and which benefit I am receiving at this point? I did work last year and on the letter say something my wages from my employer is about 5,000 did they add my old remaining amount to the new amount? I am very confuse I could really use some help please. My boss will call me back to work once the weather gets better because I work on construction I has to keep searching for jobs anyways? My English is not great I hope you can understand it and you can help me with my questions thanks [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 10:18 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
When you reached your benefit year end (bye) in January, because you had new earnings, CT opened a new state claim for you. You will now collect those 26 weeks' state benefits. When those are exhausted, assuming Congress extends the unemployment legislation, CT should put you back on your remaining tier benefits from Claim 1. Because you have a new claim, any EB benefits from Claim 1 are no longer available.

Each week when you claim, you are required to certify you have searched for work - even though you expect to be called back to your old job. That is one of the questions asked when you claim. You are required to keep a record of those work searches in the event you are audited. Occasionally, the UE offices do ask you to come in with your records. If you ever get to the point you are on EB at some point in the future, you will be required to submit the work searches each week that you claim. For now, just keep good records. You could be audited.

See FAQs at top of this board for more info. on multiple claims.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:31 PM

Thank you so much for your quick and helpful answear. So at this point I do not has to send the EB-230M form last sunday of each month? Only I has to keep record of the jobs which I am seraching now?

Old 01-12-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1979 View Post
So at this point I do not has to send the EB-230M form last sunday of each month?
That is correct.

Quote:
Only I has to keep record of the jobs which I am seraching now?
That is correct.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:06 PM

Thanks so much Ariadne22 i was freaking out, becuase this is the first I have recived this letter about keeping record never in the passed I did not even when I was approved for the EB foe the 20 weeks. never in the past I have keep record, but i better start now

Old 01-12-2012, 11:27 PM

You were not approved for EB for 20 weeks. You were approved for EUC Tier 1 - for 20 weeks - which requires you search for work each week and keep records of that search. EUC Tiers do not require you to submit work searches every time you claim. You still have to search and keep records, however.

If you haven't kept records up to now, you're lucky you weren't called in for an audit. You are required to keep records of all work searches for state and federal benefits. You are only required to submit weekly work searches when you are receiving Extended Benefits. Up to this point you have received state benefits and federal Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) tier benefits. You have not received EB (Extended Benefits).

See FAQs at top of this board for a list of all the federal programs - EUC and EB. They are different.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:49 PM

Thanks Ariadne22 you have been very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to do so. I was reading the difference in EUC and EB. Now one final question I hope youu don't mind. Now i will keep record of the work search in case the deparment ask me for them even tho in the past I never did, because I did not read. Is once a week that i look for would be enough? or I need still need to look for at least two a week? sorry for so many questions, but I wanted to be sure of what I am doing now. Thanks

Old 01-13-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Is once a week that i look for would be enough? or I need still need to look for at least two a week?
The answer is THREE. This from your original post:
Quote:
Couple of days later I received a letter saying something about I need contact at least three employers or something, because some people who do weekly claim could be audit.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,003 times
I hope this thread is still active. I began collecting unemployment on Dec 2, 2012 from a lay off and was notified my claim was open through November 2013. I was just hired to begin a contract job starting in a week that will last for 20 weeks. What changes do I make in the system? Do I call CT Unemployment and let them know? And then after the contract job is over, can I resume unemployment in the system as a continued claim?

Thank you for any help!

Old 01-20-2013, 10:31 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,079,420 times
How much will be earning per week on this job? What do you currently receive each week for unemployment? How many hours per week will you be working?

If you start on a Thursday or Friday, you might still be eligible for a partial benefit so you'll want to claim that week. If you'll be working less than 40 hours per week, and still earning about what you you get on UI, you might still receive a partial benefit. If you'll be making big money, then you just don't claim for the week when you know for sure that you won't be getting a partial benefit.

If on a Friday, they tell you that things are slow and they don't need you the next week after having stopped claiming, you need to make sure that during the slow week you reopen your claim, so that in the following week, you'll be able to claim for the prior slow week.

When the job ends, the UI people will evaluate the reason for the separation from employment, and you may or may not get back on UI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment