U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-19-2012, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 28,862 times

Advertisements

hi all,

I have a part time on-call job, and I am collecting unemployment in between assignments. I've been with this company for 6 years. A little over a year a go, I was assigned a new assistant manager who is a psychopathic serial bully. I filed a formal complaint to upper management, six months ago, because things got to the point that I just couldn't handle the stress any more.

Their answer to me was that they would just try to keep her away from people and schedule her to be outside. Mine was not the first formal complaint, btw. This way, they could help the employess out, and still not have to confront her boss, who is also my boss. At least that is what I believe the thinking was.

Of course it didn't work. The serial bully doesn't want to be outside away from people, and her/my immediate boss lets her get away with everything. He knows how she treats people, and thinks it's fine. If anybody complains to him because she screamed at them over nothing, the complaint stops right with him, and he does nothing.

So she was recently assigned to me again, and I knew something was really wrong - I came real close to having some kind of acute stress breakdown. I managed to get her to behave herself after the first day of the assignment by carrying around an iphone with no battery in it, but it was too late - even having to be around her was giving me nightmares, ferocious insomnia, muscle aches, trouble controlling anger, horrid indigestion, dread, and hypervigilance, etc., but no hallucinations or flashbacks. Well, I don't want it to get to the stage of hallucinations or flashbacks, thank you very much, so since there is no way for me to get away from her, I'm going to have to quit. I don't believe I have it in me to continue to fight this. It's not worth risking my health.

So while I'm continuing to look for work in this horrible economy, could there be any way I could keep my unemployment? Could I just claim a hostile work environment? I really don't want to get diagnosed as mentally ill because I don't think I am - IMO I am fine when I'm away from that particular work environment. But when I'm there, I start to have these symptoms which are simlar to some kind of PTSD or similar stress disorder.

I will be able to keep my unemployment until the first time I have to turn down an assignment. I figure I have maybe 2 - 3 weeks.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Iditarod
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 06:22 PM

14,381 posts, read 19,160,414 times
What state are you in?

Old 01-21-2012, 04:25 PM

3 posts, read 29,390 times
I looked up info about unemployment and a hostile work enviroment and did find a little info about it. I was curious as I have more than once been in a hostile work enviroment and the department of labor never volunteered info which I think is ridiculous.They would not tell me if I had any rights. They would not tell me if it could even be investigated even when I thought someones life could be at stake because of what was asked of me.. Sorry for the rant and I don't mean to hijack your thread but it really pisses me off to this day and I don't believe the system is set up well for real world situations. and they work against you. It is possible to get unemployment benefits if a hostile enviroment causes you severe emotional distress. The thing is laws vary in different states so I can't say for sure.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:03 PM

114 posts, read 214,737 times
I had similar issues but it wasnt a hostile working environment, it was more like unsafe working conditions, and this was at wal-mart of all places which is a place that shoves the safety manual down your throat.

I never could find information on making complaints regarding this place as I got terminated due a scorpion jack basically so tore up and run down it wouldnt function right, almost all of them was like that. I emailed Walmart inc HQ and never got a response.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:52 PM

3 posts, read 29,390 times
A place I worked for until 2004 got a girl killed. They also shove dsafety down your throats . It was a joke. WE are given locks to lock out the machinery yet there is nothing to lock out. There is a switch with no cover so there was nothing to put the lock on. My first experience dealing with government morons was a job I had working for the city. I was being threatened by the new supervisor. They refused to give me my vacation time. It was the supervisors job to work the weekend to run the pumping station and he tried to make me do his job. Picking up tree limbs after a storm he had the truck overflowing with tree limbs. He complained I was driving to slow when I was taking the limbs to where we dispose of them. He than complained every time when I came back for another load I was going to slow. I drove faster while at the same time horrified that a limb could come off and go through a car window or kill a pedestrian I passed. The thought of losing my job was also horrifying. I could prove nothing. Gather all the proof you can op,because otherwise they may ********* over. I was young and I did not know who to go to or how to ask the right questions. What would happen if I did what I was told,because I need to eat and I saved my job? I was going to be fired if I did not do what I was told. The same ******* later did complain I was going to fast when some limbs came off the truck. What if also a limb did come off and kill someone? The government is not going to take responsibility.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:25 AM

5,348 posts, read 9,420,358 times
you have to get fired. Just do something that is not so bad that you get fired instead of quitting. Its not so easy when you quit. Call in sick for two weeks, act stupid, be late, do minor mistake but dont outright make gross misconduct or crimes. You will collect Tell her her clothes are ugly, hair looks bad today, breath stinks, stuff like that to **** her off to get fired.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:45 PM

2 posts, read 28,862 times
Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

I live in Nevada, and it is not illegal anywhere in the U.S.
to bully employees. So that is why I wonder if I actually can
keep my unemployment if I quit because a hostile
environment caused me severe emotional distress.
Which it did.

It's not bad enough for me to file a worker's comp claim
due to mental illness, and I don't want it to get that bad,
and I don't want the stigma.

It's been over a week since the last assignment ended, and
I'm feeling better, but am still sleeping a lot more than normal,
so I'm wondering if I'm still having some depression.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 8,950 times
I work in a school where kids come in and out, open the doors for each other, no security, I'm in the forefront feeling very unsafe, my office doesn't lock, I work with mouse droppings on my desk every day, and since I've complained, my boss is doing everything in her power now to get rid of me. After 15 years with superb evaluations and no disciplinary warnings, I've received 2 in 2 months stating derogatory things, false accusations etc . I fear my I'll be terminated and it's causing much stress, anxiety, sleepless nights etc. Even the union seems to be siding with the opposing party instead of me. Do I have a good workers comp case?

Old 03-02-2013, 02:35 PM

4,404 posts, read 5,459,577 times
Worker's Comp for what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment