Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 12:33 AM

60 posts, read 166,557 times

Advertisements

If it makes anyone feel better, every time I go to the career center I see more white people than I see people of any other color or ethnic group, but to be honest I still think that my main problem is either being hispanic or having a foreign accent.

Let's suppose that my problem is my accent. Ok. So I go to an interview, I open my mouth, and the sound produced by my mouth evokes all sorts of negative associations in the mind of the interviewer. Why hire me when he can hire someone who talks like him and possibly also looks like him?

Unless he is a liberal nut or is one of the few Hispanic-Americans with a management job he has absolutely no incentive to hire me. (And for all he knows I am an idiot who went to college thanks to affirmative action.)

Last edited by w99w; 02-07-2012 at 12:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 01:18 AM

580 posts, read 2,293,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w99w View Post
If it makes anyone feel better, every time I go to the career center I see more white people than I see people of any other color or ethnic group, but to be honest I still think that my main problem is either being hispanic or having a foreign accent.

Let's suppose that my problem is my accent. Ok. So I go to an interview, I open my mouth, and the sound produced by my mouth evokes all sorts of negative associations in the mind of the interviewer. Why hire me when he can hire someone who talks like him and possibly also looks like him?

Unless he is a liberal nut or is one of the few Hispanic-Americans with a management job he has absolutely no incentive to hire me. (And for all he knows I am an idiot who went to college thanks to affirmative action.)
If you are really concerned you are being discriminated against, maybe you should look for work south of the border.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:25 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Those two aspects are hard to change. Focus on other aspects that can improve your employability. Maybe obtain a PHD in bioinformatics. No one will care about your accent then.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
If you are really concerned you are being discriminated against, maybe you should look for work south of the border.
I have thought about that.

I guess I could stay in this country and work a blue collar job or go "south of the border" to a country where my college degree might be appreciated. Salary-wise I'd probably end up worse off but overall I can't possibly be better off doing mindless work.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:30 AM

370 posts, read 1,365,847 times
You can lose your accent. It's been done by many. If you want to blend in, you can.

However, with the amount of Hispanics in the USA, if you can speak Spanish as well as English, you should be employable.

Are you bilingual?

How 'bad' is your English?

Old 02-07-2012, 05:01 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times
So only a liberal nut would hire an Hispanic employee? Maybe it's more attitude than accent that is the problem.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarysPoppins View Post
You can lose your accent. It's been done by many. If you want to blend in, you can.

However, with the amount of Hispanics in the USA, if you can speak Spanish as well as English, you should be employable.

Are you bilingual?

How 'bad' is your English?
Bilingual yes. As for my English, I rarely have to repeat myself but it's obvious that I don't sound like I was raised in this country.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:57 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
Hmmm,around here they seem to hire Hispanics more just because they speak Spanish.
They get hired over English only speakers.

What part of the Usa are you in?
Maybe you need to move to my state.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:02 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
In my region most of the immigrants are educated and likely to be in management positions. We have a very low percentage of hispanics, most of our immigrants are european, asian or middle eastern, but there are hispanics, 2.3%. I can't tell from their appearance. There are many Italians in this region. You don't realize they are hispanic until you hear them speaking Spanish with each other. They just look Italian, especially the women. I don't know where you live, but you'd probably have an easier time finding a job in a region where there aren't immigration tensions.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:41 AM

410 posts, read 1,521,514 times
In my area there is are a lot of Hispanics who only speak Spanish. They are usually uneducated (a fellow parent is proud to have completed 4th grade) and they work in non-skilled labor positions.

Go a few miles and you find Hispanics that are undereducated and bilingual. They have jobs in business and customer service.

Go a few more miles and you find Hispanics that are educated, speak English fluently without thick accents and have jobs in management, medicine, science, etc.

In the end, the reason you don't get a good vibe in interviews has more to do with your attitude than any thing else. As a college graduate you have a leg up on many other applicants. You are also bi-lingual which gives you a leg up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment