U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2012, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,687 times

Advertisements

I've read through the forum and didn't seem to find a post that answered my question specifically, so I'm hoping someone here can help. FYI: I have exhausted my state unemployment and I am receiving EUC benefits (I still have about 6 months left). I have not earned any money from a job in this past year.

I received a letter a couple of weeks ago stating that my claim benefit year was about to expire and I needed to call the unemployment office to file a new claim. I did this and the woman on the phone asked me a few questions, then said she would mail out new paperwork, and told me to file my web cert for one week that Sunday, then back to bi-weekly after that. I thought that everything was taken care of on that call.

Fast forward to today, when I should have received my direct deposit and nothing was in my account and in today's mail I had a letter with a phone interview scheduled for next week. The letter states that the issue to be resolved is: 2nd Benefit Year Eligibility.

I am just wondering if this is normal or if I should be worried. Does anyone know what will be asked during this interview? I want to be sure I have everything prepared, because even missing this one week is not great for my finances.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by hereforanswers; 02-08-2012 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 08:12 PM

18,359 posts, read 32,332,300 times
SOP in some states to conduct a second interview to be sure you, in fact, are still eligible for continued federal EUC benefits. Don't worry about it. If you're not working, you've been looking for a job, have kept records on your job search, you should be fine.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 1,149 times
I just had a phone interview yesterday. Here's the whole story…
I was laid off in 2014, last day of work was June 27th, 2014. I applied for unemployment benefits. The base period used to determine my eligibility was 2013, four quarters, #1) 01/01/13 to 03/31/13; #2) 04/01/13 to 06/30/13; #3) 07/01/13 to 09/30/13; #4) 10/01/13 to 12/31/13. My base period was from 01/01/2013 to 12/31/2013. I qualified for 26 weeks of benefits, the MDLLR letter stated my benefit year ended 06/28/2015. I received 26 weeks of benefits, July through Dec 2014.
Searching for work for one year, I have had interviews and only turn-downs despite my many years of experience and skills. I usually get a rejection by email which vaguely states I do not have the qualifications they are looking for and they are pursuing other candidates, and the email address is cleverly one that cannot be replied to. This happens despite my cover letter that states exactly how my qualifications/skills are precisely what they are looking for, according to their job post. The age of the face-to-face interview is dead and gone. At one rare interview a human resource agent fished around trying to find out my age, and when she (finally) figured it out based on my college graduation year, expressed, with a horrified look on her face, that I was the same age as her parents. I have plenty more to say but won't go into all of it here.
Desperate, I applied for unemployment benefits on June 29th, 2015. My previous benefit year ended June 28th. So it's a new benefit year. I still have quarters unused from 2014. I received a letter from MDLLR stating yes, I am eligible for benefits. The new base period used to determine my eligibility was 2014, two quarters, #1) 01/01/14 to 03/31/14, and #2) 04/01/14 to 06/30/14. The letter states my base period runs from 01/01/2014 to 12/31/2014. Great, it's not a lot, but it will buy food and pay a few basic bills.
Then I received a letter July 9th 2015 stating I must be available for a phone interview the next day, July 10th. Issue to be resolved: "2nd benefit year eligibility." I had the phone interview yesterday. The agent talked at me for 20 minutes, spoke rapidly and talked over me, interrupted me and did not answer questions to my satisfaction, and brought up multiple things that were NOT issues, such as "did you receive severance pay?" and "why were you let go from your job?" and "the 10-times rule" and "there is no longer a federal extension beyond 26 weeks" (which I know about and is not the issue) and she spent a lot of time bringing up other things that did not disqualify me (like was I fired) and were not issues for me. Concerning the benefit year eligibility, the agent said I needed "new wages" and said that my first claim, last year (determination date July 3rd 2014) yes, they used the quarters Jan 1st 2013 to Dec 31st 2013 to determine I was eligible for benefits, but when they used the 2013 quarters "they saw the quarters in 2014," Jan 1st to March 31st and April 1st to June 30th 2014.
I am not eligible. She did not say that they "used" the 2014 quarters to determine my eligibility back on July 3rd 2014, they "used" the four quarters from 2013, but "saw" my two 2014 quarters. She implied that because they "saw" my two 2014 quarters, those quarters no longer count, but she did not specifically say that. Instead she said (several times) in a stand-alone sentence, "you need new wages." But she never said that "you need new wages because the first two quarters of 2014 do not count, because we SAW those when we determined your eligibility last year on July 3rd 2014, even though on July 3rd 2014 your four quarters in 2013 were USED to determine your eligibility." Why don't the two quarters in 2014 count? They were never USED to determine any eligibility. Or do they count? Aren't they the new wages, in the unused quarters? She said I will receive a letter stating that I do not qualify for benefits.
My case is rare, and the agent said she had one other person to call who had this exact same rare situation. Apparently this is a case where someone is in a new benefit year, has two unused quarters of wages that were not used for a previous benefit determination, and qualifies for unemployment benefits. However, they will not receive any benefits.
This is unclear to me. I want to know the specific rule they use to disqualify me. I think I will appeal.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:08 PM

7,732 posts, read 10,809,326 times
Yes, you had two unused quarters, and it was probably enough to make a claim. However, it's one CLAIM per separation. From the time you got laid off on 6/??/14, you needed to earn a token sum of money between then and the expiration date of your claim. There was nothing in your story to suggest that you had any NEW employment so that you'd have worked the right amount of time, earned the right amount of money, and had a NEW nondisqualifying separation to get your second-year claim.

Don't bother appealing. When the US DOL website is back up, I'll be able to post a link so that you'll better understand what MD requires because it is a Federal requirement that all states have some bar to a second-year claim so each have slightly stiffer or more generous requirements, but here is how CA does things so you can better understand what is happening to you.

Miscellaneous MI 15 - Monetary Determinations

The "lag period," is that up to two unused quarter of wages that you have from Jan, 2014, to June, 2014. I hope this makes things clear that there is nothing you can do unless you left something out of your story.

Old 07-11-2015, 01:40 PM

18,359 posts, read 32,332,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genomic47 View Post
My case is rare, and the agent said she had one other person to call who had this exact same rare situation. Apparently this is a case where someone is in a new benefit year, has two unused quarters of wages that were not used for a previous benefit determination, and qualifies for unemployment benefits. However, they will not receive any benefits.

This is unclear to me. I want to know the specific rule they use to disqualify me. I think I will appeal.
There is nothing to appeal. You have no new wages.

Further, that agent must like the sound of her own voice. She is clearly blowing smoke - or she is new on the job and doesn't know very much.

Your situation is NOT rare. It is VERY COMMON to have two unused quarters(LAG) in a claim.

LAG earnings can only be used if you have worked and earned NEW WAGES during your first benefit year.

If you have not worked since you filed for benefits a year ago, you are not eligible for a new claim - no matter how much remains in your LAG.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 07-11-2015 at 01:48 PM..

Old 07-12-2015, 08:12 AM

2 posts, read 1,149 times
I found the answer! It took some searching but here it is, for those Marylanders who may be interested.
I have never been unemployed before and this is all very new to me. I am too young to retire, and apparently too old for the (millennial!) employers to hire.
Section 8-910 of the Maryland unemployment insurance law states that a claimant shall not be eligible for benefits in a subsequent benefit year unless the claimant has earned wages as a result of performing services in the employ of another, equal to but not less than ten times his/her weekly benefit amount for the subsequent benefit year. If the claimant has not earned the required wages since the beginning of the first benefit year, benefits are denied under section 8-910 of the law.
Denial of a Second Unemployment Claim

Old 07-12-2015, 08:28 AM

7,732 posts, read 10,809,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genomic47 View Post
I found the answer!
We already told you the answer. I was the one that posted in that thread. The only thing you found is that you needed 10 times your weekly benefit amount, and since you earned zero, it may as well have been a million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment