U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-23-2012, 03:58 PM

4 posts, read 5,888 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much! I kind of figured that was what was going on and I just saw that you had to be on tier 3 when EB triggered off to be eligible for the 10 additional weeks for tier IV which makes no sense to me but it is what it is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 05:51 PM

71 posts, read 112,364 times
CA is 108% of 3-years UE lookback.......exactly when do they consider a state officially trigger off? The date it drops below 110%? Or does it take a little longer? This stuff is so confusing.....thanks.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:59 PM

14,384 posts, read 19,182,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emma1329 View Post
CA is 108% of 3-years UE lookback.......exactly when do they consider a state officially trigger off? The date it drops below 110%? Or does it take a little longer?
BLS should announce this week - probably tomorrow or Wednesday - 5/12 EB end payable periods. BLS usually gives three-week's notice on EB trigger offs.

Keep watching this page for updates.

http://workforcesecurity.doleta.gov/...laims_arch.asp

Last edited by Ariadne22; 04-23-2012 at 08:23 PM..

Old 04-24-2012, 06:08 PM

20,742 posts, read 13,519,410 times
Default California to End Fed Ed notice.

http://www.edd.ca.gov/About_Edd/pdf/nwsrel12-11.pdf

Old 04-24-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
As predicted, CA ends EB payments on 5/12:

Excerpt:
Quote:
EDD will have to cease all FED-ED payments within a three-week period, making the week ending May 12, 2012, the last payable week of FED-ED benefits claimants can receive. That means anyone who has qualified for FED-ED benefits and who has sufficient balance on their FED-ED extension could continue to receive those last three weeks of payments, but after May 12, 2012, no benefits will be paid, even if the claimant has a remaining balance on their FED-ED
extension.
Thank you for posting that. I checked CA, FL and NC for announcements earlier today but didn't see this.

Good sleuthing.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 04-24-2012 at 07:09 PM..

Old 04-24-2012, 07:45 PM

20,742 posts, read 13,519,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
As predicted, CA ends EB payments on 5/12:

Excerpt:Thank you for posting that. I checked CA, FL and NC for announcements earlier today but didn't see this.

Good sleuthing.
No problem. I have some family members that needed the help. I found it so I figured I check to see if it was up here already. Ugh 93,000 people cut in three weeks. Gonna have some big ripple effects.

CA Unemployed, check the EDD Twitter and Facebook pages as the info went up there first before hitting the regular web site.

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 04-24-2012 at 09:05 PM..

Old 04-25-2012, 04:25 AM

4,175 posts, read 4,782,125 times
Hey, Emma, any luck skipping the right number of weeks yet?

Old 04-25-2012, 10:11 AM

1,227 posts, read 2,174,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erica_m1974 View Post
Has anyone heard anything about the most recent BLS report and which states were triggered off? I have read several places where North Carolina was supposed to trigger off May 12th but have seen nothing. Does that mean the week of the 12th will be the last payable week or is that when it will actually trigger off and the last payable week will follow?
Erica: See the following article that was in the Charlotte Observer this morning.

Benefits to expire for N.C.'s long-term jobless | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

Unfortunately, I am hoping that the writer got their facts wrong because he is implying that ALL benefits beyond the states 26 weeks will be eliminated!! I am currently on Tier II and was hoping at least to get through the end of the year, but if this is correct I will be cut off next month. We'll have to give up our COBRA because I was using my benefits to pay for that, but if they are cut off there is no way we can afford it because the monthly payment is over 1/2 of my hubby's take home and his company doesn't provide health insurance benefits (too small). Being 60 and having a bad back doesn't bode well for me getting any job in the near future, much less a full time one with benefits.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
Erica: See the following article that was in the Charlotte Observer this morning.

Benefits to expire for N.C.'s long-term jobless | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

Unfortunately, I am hoping that the writer got their facts wrong because he is implying that ALL benefits beyond the states 26 weeks will be eliminated!! I am currently on Tier II and was hoping at least to get through the end of the year, but if this is correct I will be cut off next month.
The article did not say that. What it said was "extended federal benefits" - the "last available program."
Quote:
The roughly 18,000 who are currently receiving benefits from the program are people who have exhausted the 26 weeks of state unemployment benefits and have been receiving extended federal benefits.

“These are long-term folks who are in the last available program to them,” Parker said. Some may have been receiving unemployment benefits for more than 70 weeks.

Eligibility for the extended-benefits program is determined by a formula based in part on a state’s unemployment rate (aka lookback, discussed extensively on this board - unrelated to tier benefits)
Loss of NC EB (the last available program) in May has been predicted since February on this Forum. This not new news, just a confirmation of what we've known since the first of the year. The last available program is not all benefits beyond 26 weeks.

Please see FAQS: http://www.city-data.com/forum/23479399-post5.html

EUC Tier payments continue to the end of the year.
FAQS describes how they change in June (interest rate triggers) and September (Tier 1 reduced, Tier 3 reduced, Tier IV increased).

Last edited by Ariadne22; 04-25-2012 at 12:44 PM..

Old 04-25-2012, 03:07 PM

14 posts, read 11,817 times
NC just updated their site.

http://www.ncesc1.com/PMI/News/Press...ng_Apr24_b.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment