Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2012, 12:44 AM

104 posts, read 261,256 times

Advertisements

I went to IDES today and the lady said I was on teir 2 with 14 weeks left of payable money. She said I have $2266 left in the pot. My IDES website says "I have 5543 as the maxium amount."
I think sometimes the people working there don't even know whats going on.
Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 08:21 AM

20 posts, read 38,909 times
Interesting article on yahoo today. Jobless Americans to lose unemployment benefits - Yahoo! Finance

Ariadne22....how does the article single out the Alaska to be the last state on EB? The numbers don't add up to me. What are your thoughts?

Old 05-11-2012, 08:31 AM

Okay, I can kinda see why Alaska would be the last state to offer EB once I double check the numbers. Let me change the topic now and talk about people and their worries that they will be not be eligible for EB after they exhaust tier 3 and/or tier 4. My belief is that while EB has been cut off, or will be cutoff for more states in the future, this does not mean a permanent end for EB. Congress can always extend legislation at the end of the year and for example change the lookback for claimants from 3 years to 4 years. Or Congress can come up with some other type of way to get the long-term unemployed benefits, even after an interruption of benefits. I understand this is mute if people have bills to pay now, but it's not an end-all.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:00 AM

I reside in Texas. I am on Tier 3 currently. The state of NJ is paying my claim because I lost my job in NJ. Texas goes of EB tomorrow, along with a number of other states. I know it's a matter of time when NJ will go off EB. I know that EB is different than EUC. But I am looking months ahead. I do believe that Congress will amend legislation at the end of the year to help people get back on EB, ie. increase the lookback from 3 years to 4 years, etc, especially if Obama is re-elected. Obviously, if this occurs, I will still not be eligible for EB because I reside in Texas employment outlook is alot better than NJ. Maybe I will get 2 weeks at most because of the rules. But I am trying to get the maximum 20 weeks. When should I move back to NJ, and notify NJ that I had a change of address to maximize my potential EB earnings?

1. Do I need to do this today since Texas is going off of EB tomorrow?
2. Do I just wait and exhaust all my EUC benefits and then change my address. My fear is that NJ will tell me that they will not pay me EB because 'I just moved back to the state."
3. Do I change my address and move back to NJ before I file my last 2 weeks of EUC.

Ariadne22, others, any advice would be of help. Thank you.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:32 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyomtvraps View Post
Interesting article on yahoo today. Jobless Americans to lose unemployment benefits - Yahoo! Finance

Ariadne22....how does the article single out the Alaska to be the last state on EB? The numbers don't add up to me. What are your thoughts?
Per NELP, Alaska is using an IUR Trigger:
Quote:
3 Alaska began paying Extended Benefits on January 22, 2012. Alaska is currently the only state to qualify for Extended Benefits through what is known as the optional Insured Unemployment Rate (IUR) Trigger. Under the IUR Trigger a state may pay up to 13 weeks of EB if the IUR for the previous 13 weeks is at least 6%, regardless of the experience in the previous years. Alaska will pay Extended Benefits for a minimum of 13 weeks and for as long as the state meets the IUR Trigger requirements, regardless of whether or not Congress extends 100-percent federal funding or the three-year look-back period.

http://nelp.3cdn.net/1d6f79857be7a5ac3d_2im6bh82e.pdf

Quote:
I know it's a matter of time when NJ will go off EB. I know that EB is different than EUC. But I am looking months ahead. But I am trying to get the maximum 20 weeks. When should I move back to NJ, and notify NJ that I had a change of address to maximize my potential EB earnings?
NJ is projected to trigger off EB on June 9th - about four weeks from now. May as well stay in Texas.

See http://nelp.3cdn.net/1d6f79857be7a5ac3d_2im6bh82e.pdf

Last edited by Ariadne22; 05-11-2012 at 11:46 AM..

Old 05-11-2012, 03:32 PM

878 posts, read 1,653,345 times
Quote:

What are your thoughts?
"Some argue that these costly benefits need to end to spur people to find work."

And they do... 77 or 99 weeks is far too long. If you can't find a job in a year you need to lower your standards and/or move.

I think those that are taking the lazy approach to finding work and doing the bare minimum to satisfy job search requirements while on their 79 week vacation will probably put a lot more effort into finding a job when they only have 3 more weeks of checks before they are cut off...

Old 05-11-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I reside in Texas. I am on Tier 3 currently. The state of NJ is paying my claim because I lost my job in NJ. But I am trying to get the maximum 20 weeks. When should I move back to NJ, and notify NJ that I had a change of address to maximize my potential EB earnings?

1. Do I need to do this today since Texas is going off of EB tomorrow?
2. Do I just wait and exhaust all my EUC benefits and then change my address. My fear is that NJ will tell me that they will not pay me EB because 'I just moved back to the state."
3. Do I change my address and move back to NJ before I file my last 2 weeks of EUC.
Wow... this is exactly what I'm talking about in my previous post.

Really? You'll move 1,500 miles to keep the UI check rolling? What would you do for an actual job?

Quote:
I do believe that Congress will amend legislation at the end of the year to help people get back on EB, ie. increase the lookback from 3 years to 4 years, etc, especially if Obama is re-elected.
I doubt that... I think the intention is for people to find work. Unemployment isn't welfare...

Old 05-11-2012, 04:37 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
^^ I have to agree with that. 2013 is over seven months away. Unless one is late 50s or older or, despite their best efforts can't find employment, one shouldn't be thinking in terms of "what if" Congress reinstates EB seven and one-half months from now. A more proactive approach is needed. If one lives in CA, certainly one should move. If one can't find a job in TX, maybe you're looking in the wrong place. Many areas of TX are doing quite well.

Fwiw, Congress isn't reinstating EB. We'll be lucky if they extend Tiers 1 and 2. They've already eliminated EB, reduced benefits under Tiers 2 and 3 later this year, and added triggers beginning in June. If Obama is reelected, he'll give up the Bush tax cuts, yet again, to get an extension. Didn't do too well giving up the ranch to get the 2012 extension - which extension is proving to be quite a shock to some. 2013 certainly won't any better - benefits will be cut further. If Romney is elected, it may not happen at all.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 05-11-2012 at 05:21 PM..

Old 05-11-2012, 06:19 PM

Well said Ariadne. ^

As someone who moved for a job, all I can say is, if you have the means, definitely consider it. UI cutbacks are going to continue and getting stuck without any income at all in a high unemployment state isn't a place I was going to be... so I found a job elsewhere and moved.

It's been almost a year now since I left Georgia (5/17/11) and even though I left my family and friends (and girlfriend of 3 years) behind... it was THE best decision of my life to roll the dice and move to an unknown area on my own dime for a job I had to have.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:31 PM

104 posts, read 261,256 times
Default Ariadne....Illininutt here....

As I wrote earlier I went to IDES this week. They said I have $2266 left and am on teir 2. It says that I have "the maxium amount is $5543." Is that figure REALLY the amount I have left??
I'm the one that got his payments reduced to 1/2 due to SS after week 14. This is week 84....which you said is really closer to 42.
This will be the last time I bother you. You should charge for your help.
Jim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment