U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2012, 11:29 AM

78 posts, read 209,007 times

Advertisements

Finally received email correspondence from the state of NJ regarding EB:

Dear Customer,

You are receiving this letter because you are collecting federal Extended Unemployment Insurance Benefits, also known as EB, and because the U.S. Department of Labor (USDOL) issued an official notice ending the Extended Benefits (EB) program for New Jersey recipients.

New Jersey no longer qualifies for the federal EB program that provides up to 20 additional weeks of jobless benefits to the long-term unemployed in high-unemployment states. The USDOL announced that effective June 16, 2012 the EB program will close in New Jersey.

There is a three week EB "phase-out" period from that date. As a result, an EB claim can be filed up to the Sunday before the established final payment date.

This means the last date that EB payments may be made is the week ending on July 7, 2012. Claimants filing for EB may file their claims through July 1, 2012 if they remain unemployed. However, under federal law, New Jersey cannot pay any EB after the week ending on July 7, 2012.

Unfortunately, no additional Federal or State Unemployment Insurance assistance is available to you at this time through the New Jersey Division of Unemployment Insurance.

We encourage you to visit our website at Jobs4Jersey | Jobs4Jersey to aid you in seeking employment. This website will guide you to some of New Jersey's best online tools for finding work, including OnRamp, a job-search engine that will help you create or upload a resume to profile your talents before New Jersey employers. The website also will connect you to many state and federal programs established to assist workers and job-seekers.

You may also be able to obtain assistance through the New Jersey Department of Human Services by accessing the department's website at: Department of Human Services or by reaching out to NJ 2-1-1.

By dialing 211 or by going to the website, NJ211 - Need help? Start Here, you will find free, personal assistance in navigating through the vast network of health and human services, government assistance programs and local community resources in New Jersey.

A TECHNICAL NOTE ON EB: The Extended Benefits program has been in effect since March 15, 2009. Under USDOL guidelines, a state must meet certain criteria to remain in the federal EB program. One criterion is that the state's "seasonally adjusted" average unemployment rate for the past three months must be at least 110 percent of one of the unemployment rates from a comparable three-month period in one of the past three years. The USDOL has determined that New Jersey no longer meets that criterion.

The wording of that leads me to believe that I won't receive payment for w/e 7/7 like I had previously thought. But maybe I need things clarified again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 11:49 AM

19,552 posts, read 37,296,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickX12 View Post
The wording of that leads me to believe that I won't receive payment for w/e 7/7 like I had previously thought. But maybe I need things clarified again...
You do. Read this.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/24816278-post246.html

EB is paid for the week ending 7/7. The above announcement states, here:
Quote:
This means the last date that EB payments may be made is the week ending on July 7, 2012.
Wording of the above may IMPLY NJ isn't making payments after 7/7, but that is not the reality.

End payable period for EB will be 7/7, which means benefits will be paid for the week ending 7/7 the following week (or later, if you claim on 7/19), just as CA's end payable date was 5/12, CA paid EB for the week ending 5/12 when claims for that week were later filed after 5/12.

You will receive payment for the week ending 7/7.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 06-22-2012 at 12:23 PM..

Old 06-22-2012, 12:01 PM

78 posts, read 209,007 times
Ok...I may have glossed over that post you referenced the first time I saw it...that would have cleared it up had I saw it first!

Thank you!

Old 06-22-2012, 04:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,056 times
so, we get a two week notice!! just great!!

This means the last date that EB payments may be made is the week ending on July 7, 2012. Claimants filing for EB may file their claims through July 1, 2012 if they remain unemployed. However, under federal law, New Jersey cannot pay any EB after the week ending on July 7, 2012.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneuser View Post
so, we get a two week notice!! just great!!

Well, it's too bad you hadn't found this or another unemployment board in February, because we've had charts posted on projected EB trigger off dates for the states since then, plus there has been extensive discussion on NJ for months on this thread. First projected NJ trigger off date of 6/9 was moved back to 7/7. So, there has been a one-month reprieve. Unemployedworkers.org has also been on top of expiring EB since last year.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:49 PM

89 posts, read 204,900 times
Question about Tier IV in NY (I exhausted EB):

How long do I have to use my 6 weeks?

If I do work freelance work next week, I won't claim UI, so does that mean that week of UI is "saved" for me to use for a week when I don't have work?

Old 06-23-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ker38 View Post
Question about Tier IV in NY (I exhausted EB): How long do I have to use my 6 weeks? If I do work freelance work next week, I won't claim UI, so does that mean that week of UI is "saved" for me to use for a week when I don't have work?
Yes. NY just entered its mandatory 13-week ON period for Tier IV on 6/4. Last date to exhaust Tier III and transition to Tier IV in NY will be September 1. This means once you have transitioned to Tier IV, you will have until at least October 13 to exhaust those six weeks.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 06-23-2012 at 01:47 PM..

Old 06-23-2012, 09:33 PM

89 posts, read 204,900 times
Awesome. thanks.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:15 AM

20 posts, read 34,456 times
I exhaust tier 3 the week ending July 7th. I then move on the tier 4. I will exhaust tier 4 the week ending Aug. 18th. I am concerned that between July 7th-Aug. 18th, NJ unemployment TUR will drop below 9 percent. Is there a minimum ON period for NJ for tier 4. Is it possible I will only collect a few weeks of tier 4 and not the whole 6 weeks. I know it is possible, but not likely, that I will collect 0 weeks of tier 4. Thanks.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyomtvraps View Post
I exhaust tier 3 the week ending July 7th. I then move on the tier 4. I will exhaust tier 4 the week ending Aug. 18th. I am concerned that between July 7th-Aug. 18th, NJ unemployment TUR will drop below 9 percent. Is there a minimum ON period for NJ for tier 4. Is it possible I will only collect a few weeks of tier 4 and not the whole 6 weeks.
No. Once you have transitioned to Tier IV, you will be able to collect the entire tier. The ON period for an EUC Tier relates to eligibility for Tier IV, not how long it will be paid. Fwiw, NJ has has been paying Tier IV since 2008 and has long passed its mandatory ON period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment