Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 08:04 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,567,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarysPoppins View Post
Weren't you the guy who said 'weekends are for people WITH jobs?'
Didn't he say that when he was still working? The beat for him changes depending upon the situation he finds himself in. He also claims that he's really good at "making people laugh and saving money" ...

Is the contemplated relocation going to be a long way from where you are now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 08:35 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,099,791 times
I got 2 interest card notifications for jobs this morning (Saturday), and online applications are always available. No need to take a weekend off from the job search.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:52 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,064,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I hate 3 day weekend when I'm unemployed because that's 3 days in a row without a business call-lol

In my field, most companies are closed for Presidents Day on Monday so no more job search until Tuesday, the 21st
Most businesses do not observe President's Day as a holiday.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:25 AM

370 posts, read 1,364,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Didn't he say that when he was still working? The beat for him changes depending upon the situation he finds himself in. He also claims that he's really good at "making people laugh and saving money" ...

Is the contemplated relocation going to be a long way from where you are now?
Trying to be open minded. We only came HERE for my husband's former job. So we will move if we have to. It's not like it's been awesome here. It's just a suburb in some upstate town.

You have to learn to roll with the punches or you will find yourself sitting around with the rest of the 'never try' bunch. There are so many people who put off life for 'next year' or 'when I retire' and find themselves regretting it.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:42 AM

45,113 posts, read 60,214,676 times
I didn't know that unemployed people who are actively looking for work keep "office hours". I guess I'm just from an older generation.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:24 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,099,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I didn't know that unemployed people who are actively looking for work keep "office hours". I guess I'm just from an older generation.
Don't mistake what this person does for what "most" people do.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:43 PM

45,113 posts, read 60,214,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Don't mistake what this person does for what "most" people do.

I won't, I'm usually on most of his threads so I know what we're dealing with. Just trying to make a subtle point.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:48 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,212,926 times
Smile Question -

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
If you are available to answer the phone when it rings during business hours do you answer or let your voicemail get it first?

I decided to start answering the phone between 9am and 5pm because I'm not sure if a employer will call and not leave a message. I was doing that because I wanted my professional voicemail to make the first impression. But I think I will just start treating my apartment like my office between 9am and 5pm.

Does anyone else screen calls or answer when it rings?
Why play games?

Old 02-19-2012, 04:51 PM

810 posts, read 1,760,959 times
Unfortunately I had to learn my lesson the hard way, I received a call from a blocked number and since I was in the middle of doing something I decided to let the call go to voicemail, figuring that it was a bill collector or telemarketer.
Nope it was a call from hr at a big company and they left a message saying they would call back soon, well they did - they called back within a minute and let the phone ring once and then nothing. Now I can't find a correct hr number for the company.
So now I always answer my phone unless I am in a situtaion where I can't.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:53 PM

486 posts, read 988,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarysPoppins View Post
Trying to be open minded. We only came HERE for my husband's former job. So we will move if we have to. It's not like it's been awesome here. It's just a suburb in some upstate town.

You have to learn to roll with the punches or you will find yourself sitting around with the rest of the 'never try' bunch. There are so many people who put off life for 'next year' or 'when I retire' and find themselves regretting it.
Hey MarysPoppins, are you located in Upstate NY?

I am located in Central NY and let me tell you, it is as DEAD as DEAD can be for jobs in this area. The worst I have ever seen it. I am thinking about moving out of this black hole of nothingness, I can't imagine it being worse anywhere else, at least the weather is better in other areas of the country.

I think for 60% of the population in this area (the majority work for the government) things are OK, for the remaining 40% it is complete crap, no jobs or low paying part-time jobs.

My niece graduated from high school last year and passed her license exam for cosmetology, my sister said she can't find any work in salons in Central NY. In fact, 20 of her other cosmetology classmates cannot find work either. My niece is currently working part-time at a retail store.

It is mighty depressing here for young and old alike, experienced, educated, etc. with regard to the jobs situation.

As I said in a previous post tonight. I am in a crappy mood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment