U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-18-2012, 11:31 AM

370 posts, read 540,054 times

Advertisements

(Maybe we can trade tips.)

Get rid of cable (we already did this before my family was 'without jobs.'

Get an antenna and free service over the 'air waves.'

Use the free services at the library. Free internet, free videos, dvds, magazines, books, and job search classes.

The bigger cities have more awesome libraries with lots of extras. You can get free passes for museums and other local events.

No need for Netflix or other such services if you order via inter-library loan. There's no need to spend a PENNY on entertainment.

Shop at cheaper stores like Aldi or Walmart OR take advantage of buying local healthier grown produce.

There are many more...you guys can post more.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 12:13 PM

622 posts, read 660,270 times
The obvious one: don't eat out. Even a Big Mac meal at McDonald's is $5.49 + tax around here, and this is a cheap area of the nation.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:13 PM

Good tip. Learn how to cook. Make a lot of vegetarian meals. You'd be surprised how much you can stretch with healthy beans (soaked not canned), rice, bits of vegetables.

We ate like that anyway.

Anyhow, it's good for your brain to challenge it and make interesting meals. I have become an even better cook and I bake a lot of our bread and made homemade desserts that taste better than store bought.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:02 PM

401 posts, read 541,742 times
Buy in bulk, even online can be a deal with free shipping.
Walmart is good for cereal, not always great on other stuff.
Cut out luxury data cell plans, get it to $50 a month or try prepaid.
Cut landline and cable is a good idea.
Netflix streaming is still cheap alternative for entertainment imho.
Negotiate internet if you can, I got a $10 discount just by calling.
Stop drinking, even casually it can add up.
If I can make it 8 months anyone can.
Reduce car trips and condense routes.
Cut down on home energy use, seal up windows if needed, turn down thermostat.
Cooking home meals is good but try one pot or crockpot ideas to further reduce energy costs.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:07 PM

37,788 posts, read 12,147,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarysPoppins View Post
Good tip. Learn how to cook. Make a lot of vegetarian meals. You'd be surprised how much you can stretch with healthy beans (soaked not canned), rice, bits of vegetables.

We ate like that anyway.

Anyhow, it's good for your brain to challenge it and make interesting meals. I have become an even better cook and I bake a lot of our bread and made homemade desserts that taste better than store bought.
This tends to be way healthier than eating tons of processed foods and eating out anyways ... Folks should get into the habits of stretching their dollars and eating right while they are gainfully employed.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:16 PM

I agree. You really need to be a good money manager when you have an income.

You can't just blow it and then wonder how you got in the situation. Then again, if you gave some people a million dollars, they would spend a million five.

Some people have no idea how to be frugal or they THINK they should have certain 'things' as 'diversions' or 'luxuries.'

Old 02-18-2012, 02:52 PM

5,572 posts, read 10,618,985 times
You would think this would be obvious but in my house it's not...quit smoking or at the very least cut the cost of smoking. I live with the most unfrugal person alive!

Old 02-18-2012, 02:56 PM

4,806 posts, read 12,072,394 times
Alot of the tips I've read were never helpful to me--I didn't have cable, rarely ate out or went to movies, didn't drink or smoke. But when forced to, there are still ways to cut.

I switched to bar soaps--shampoo and body wash are mostly water. Their cost is largely associated with the packaging (petroleum) and shipping costs because they weigh more. Compare: body wash, $4.99, lasts a month; to bar soap, $.99, lasts three months.

I also air-dried my laundry--it saved the expense of drying and made the clothes last longer.

I adjusted my sleep schedule. By sleeping in later and staying up later, I tricked my circadian rhythm so that I didn't feel hunger as much when I was awake, and cut down to two small meals a day instead of three.

And I walked wherever I could--let's face it, I wasn't in a hurry to get anywhere. I live in an urban center so I mostly use public transit but even that costs money. Walking was free, good exercise, and good for the environment.

I'm not a gardner or much of a cook but I did grow herbs and some plants. Gardening is a fairly inexpensive hobby and is a very good stress-reliever.

Even on unemployment checks that are smaller than most states (350/wk), and living in one of the most expensive cities in the country, I was able to live on my meager unemployment checks without dipping into my savings or racking up credit card debt.

Like probably a lot of people, I cut out of necessity and stuck to it even after I got a job. A lot of the frugal living tips are better for the environment (like bar soap, air drying, and walking) and I enjoy the simpler life and new hobbies, and seeing my savings add up faster. I too cut the cable and watched whatever I could find online for free. Now with a job again, I spend the money that would have gone to cable on season live theater tickets--it's much more rewarding and doesn't invade the solitude of my home or drain my brain cells the way the boob tube did. Miraculously, all of my plants are still alive and I've added a few.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:37 PM

1,595 posts, read 1,172,947 times
I cannot cut the cable. I did it for a long time when I didn't have a job but now I just can't seem to give that up. I can't join the library here. Long story that and I really don't want to go to the library to wacth movies or shows. Netflix is a pain lately the movies keep skipping on me and then I have to go through all this nonsense with the cable company. I'd just assume watch what the Cable Co. has to offer on HBO and other stations. I hope I never have to go without cable ever again. It's just easier and I'm not tech savvy so that makes it harder for me to try anything else.

On the bright side I don't smoke, drink or eat out with the exception of a slice of pizza when I work it into my carb count. Snacks that are processed food, not natural, are very expensive and I tend to eat too much so I cut back a lot and I mean a lot on them. Don't buy bottled water but if you can swing it and can't stand tap try water filter at home. Cut the landline phone and if you are like me and can't stand no cable then try only getting your computer with the Cable Co. and skip the rest. The should only be around $15.00 a month then you watch all the movies you want for free if you know where online to get them. Also when you do get a job make sure you take out a deferred comp plan if they offer one. Even people on rental assistance can have at least $200.00 a paycheck put away into a def. comp account or something like a credit union bank account. If you can't do that when you do get some money to save then put it into a christmas club and when the club ends don't spend the money instead take out a Certificate of Deposit or an IRA to save for your future/emergencies. If you already have friends you spend most of your time with maybe you could roommate with one if possible and if you don't think it would hurt your friendship. I know a couple of guys who rent a large apt. when you walk in you can see they share one bath and a large kitchen that is right in the middle of their rooms off from one side to the other.

Last edited by Lolipopbubbles; 02-18-2012 at 03:51 PM..

Old 02-18-2012, 04:17 PM

879 posts, read 387,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peet111 View Post
Netflix streaming is still cheap alternative for entertainment imho
Indeed. $7.99 a month was the cheapest entertainment I found while unemployed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment