Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 03:15 PM

20 posts, read 29,867 times

Advertisements

I was unemployed more than 6 months, and exhausted my state benefits. Because of the 1 week waiting period, I got a one week check for my first check; and then my last week of state benefits was also for one week - the online system let me file, but only for the one week of that 2 week period.

Then, I got hired with a gap of 7 days for which I had no paycheck. During this time I was waiting to receive the application for EUC which did not arrive until the week I started working.

The application states that I cannot receive EUC if I am working full time - which I am. It is however, a temporary (up to 10-week) job. Also, I am earning about $5/less per hour than I used to.

So now I have questions. I am in Pennsylvania by the way.

1. Can I still get a check for the 5-7 days between the last check and my start date with the current job? Do I need to call the Unemployment Office for directions for how to do that? I can't quite figure it out from the paperwork they sent.

2. Regardless of the answer to the above question - it is very possible that I will be on layoff again at the end of this assignment (ironically I am working as a staffing recruiter ). When my time is up, do I go back on a few more weeks of state benefits from this job; or do I pick back up with Tier 1 of the original claim?

3. Will the lower earning rate affect the $ amount of my claim? I am guessing the EUC would be at the same rate I was receiving - or can that be changed based on the fact that I accepted a job for less pay?

It seems like the more I read all of the paperwork from UC - the less I understand it all. I am also starting to wonder if I sabotaged myself by taking this job...

Appreciate any/all info. you have to offer.

Thanks,
Diana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 04:13 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,451,817 times
My comments in bold:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaldwin32 View Post

1. Can I still get a check for the 5-7 days between the last check and my start date with the current job?

You are claiming by week - Sunday-Saturday, i.e., week ending February 25, week ending February 18, week ending February 11.

Did you work at your new job any part of a week during the gap you are referring to? If so, report the wages you earned for the hours you worked when you claim that week even though you haven't been paid. The online (if PA has this) or written form should provide a line where you report earnings. PA will pay you a PBA - partial benefit amount based on their part-time earnings formula.

If you went a whole week (Sunday-Saturday) without earning anything before starting the job, of course, claim for that week.

Do not claim at all once you have worked a full week. Two weeks without a claim will close it until you reopen.

Do I need to call the Unemployment Office for directions for how to do that? I can't quite figure it out from the paperwork they sent.

The forms should allow you to report earnings for the week you are claiming if, in fact, you worked part of that week. Of course, if you can't figure it out call them.

2. Regardless of the answer to the above question - it is very possible that I will be on layoff again at the end of this assignment (ironically I am working as a staffing recruiter ). When my time is up, do I go back on a few more weeks of state benefits from this job; or do I pick back up with Tier 1 of the original claim?

PA will reopen your old claim. Call them to do this. PA's method of calculating benefits will not include the earnings from this short-term temporary job, unless the job lasts at least four-six months and then only part of those earnings.

3. Will the lower earning rate affect the $ amount of my claim?

Possibly in October when PA does a quarterly earnings evaluation. At which point PA would open another new claim. Prior to then, the answer is no.

If you are eligible for a new claim, payment of benefits on that claim can be deferred under HR4213 until you have exhausted EUC benefits from the first claim, provided the new benefits are $100 or 25% lower on this new claim.

PA is a state which automatically establishes an HR4213 deferral in this situation.

I am guessing the EUC would be at the same rate I was receiving - or can that be changed based on the fact that I accepted a job for less pay?

Your benefits on an existing claim do not change because you have worked. You would resume benefits at the same rate.

It seems like the more I read all of the paperwork from UC - the less I understand it all. I am also starting to wonder if I sabotaged myself by taking this job...

Doubtful at this stage of the EUC/EB program which will pretty much cease in 2013. For now, you're good. You may be happy with a new state claim to pick up the slack next year.

Also, do not quit this job, or you will receive no benefits for a very long time while PA conducts an investigation. Unless you have a very good reason for a quit, you may never be able to reopen this claim. You need a justifiable reason for a quit. Don't do it. About the only good reason is no earnings - or mother/father becoming ill requiring you to care for them, for which PA will allow a quit interestingly enough.

Fyi, PA is about the worst state in the country in handling reviews in a timely fashion. Stick with the job until it ends. Even then, when you resume your claim, it may take PA a while to get your old claim up and running again, as they will need to contact the employer who laid you off.

Thanks,
Diana
If you haven't already, more info on the federal EUC/EB program for the rest of the year, here:

FAQS: http://www.city-data.com/forum/23140531-post5.html

Congress has made very brutal and draconian cuts. Don't expect any improvement next year.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 02-26-2012 at 04:28 PM..

Old 02-27-2012, 05:17 AM

Default Thank you!!!!

Ariadne22,

You are terribly generous with your expertise and I really appreciate it. (I am not sure how I could return the favor, but if you ever need graphic design work or resume advice... that what I can offer).

I have actually worked 8 days - because I did not get the EUC application until after I started and so now I guess it is too late for that. That made the budget a little tighter than I like, but we were able to absorb that loss for now. Current paycheck is 1 week behind, so it will work out on the other end I think.

I will not quit, but good that you mention it. I am actually covering a maternity leave for a recruiter, so this assignment will end when she comes back (and she'd better come back).

From there I am not required to accept another assignment unless it is "acceptable work" - and from what I understand it has to be within a certain range of pay and distance from my home. The other offices for this company would fall outside of that distance - and currently there are not any other internal or client opportunities we are handling, that either resemble the work that I normally do, or pay nearly as much.

In the meanwhile I am still in active work search...

Have a wonderful day!

Old 02-27-2012, 10:02 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,058,740 times
Taking this Temp job, changes what many states will consider "suitable" work for you in the future. Since you showed a willingness to work for $5/hr less than you were getting before, and a temp job with no benefits at that, you have effectively devalued yourself in the eyes of UE.

Keep that in mind with any offers you get after this job ends. If the next job is about the same or better than your current job, you're going to have to think carefully about turning it down. However, you're right about a job being "too far," but next time you call UE in your state, ask them just where the bright line on "too far" is, so you don't make a mistake, and then use something like google maps to calculate the distance.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I have actually worked 8 days - because I did not get the EUC application until after I started and so now I guess it is too late for that.
If you worked a partial week, you can claim that week regardless of when you received the EUC application. Just report estimated gross earnings for the days you worked that week.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 02-27-2012 at 11:18 AM..

Old 02-27-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
Taking this Temp job, changes what many states will consider "suitable" work for you in the future. Since you showed a willingness to work for $5/hr less than you were getting before, and a temp job with no benefits at that, you have effectively devalued yourself in the eyes of UE.
I do get what you're saying but it is a little more complicated than that... The base salary is $5/less per hour - however, there is a commission structure - and in fact there are benefits even though it is temporary.

Still it would not be good for my EUC to be reduced accordingly... but from what Ariadne stated above, that should not be an issue. I had already checked the distance requirements in my UE handbook and the two offices for this agency fall outside of the distance requirement, so I think I am good there.

But I am also still in active work search and there are some good opportunities in my field and in my previous salary range - so perhaps I won't have to worry about it at all, which would be even better.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:42 PM

55 posts, read 59,745 times
Quote:
I was unemployed more than 6 months, and exhausted my state benefits. Because of the 1 week waiting period, I got a one week check for my first check; and then my last week of state benefits was also for one week - the online system let me file, but only for the one week of that 2 week period.

Then, I got hired with a gap of 7 days for which I had no paycheck. During this time I was waiting to receive the application for EUC which did not arrive until the week I started working.

The application states that I cannot receive EUC if I am working full time - which I am. It is however, a temporary (up to 10-week) job. Also, I am earning about $5/less per hour than I used to.

1. Can I still get a check for the 5-7 days between the last check and my start date with the current job? Do I need to call the Unemployment Office for directions for how to do that? I can't quite figure it out from the paperwork they sent.

3. Will the lower earning rate affect the $ amount of my claim? I am guessing the EUC would be at the same rate I was receiving - or can that be changed based on the fact that I accepted a job for less pay?

Thanks,
Diana

First of all, congratulations you got a job even if it is a temporary one. Second of all, when you start your new job, the unemployment office will be aware of your status. You should receive your unemployment check for when you are scheduled to get it for those dates you were not employed. Then it will stop. When you are done with your temporary work there, you need to refile your claim again. When I was temping I called them at EDD and they filed my claim for me. You will begin your benefits where you left off, not at tier one, but the benefit will end later since you were working for ten weeks.
You are lucky you are only getting $5 dollars less then you did before. It should not matter for how much you get on your unemployment benefits. For a lot of people, including myself, we have taken cuts in pay so we can keep afloat. My last job I got paid $3,000 less per year then I did from my job before that. But I didn't complain. Be lucky that you will be working and being able to make your bills. Work hard and maybe they will keep you on a permanent basis.
You say you'll be working as a recruiter? Can you help me find a job? I am in S.F. CA.
Cheers!

Old 02-29-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFJenn View Post
You will begin your benefits where you left off, not at tier one,
This is not correct. In PA, a short-term temp job will not result immediately in a new state benefits claim unless there are other new eligible earnings available in the base-year calculation for the new claim. OP will resume Tier 1 - unless, as I stated - the assignment is relatively lengthy.

PA, unlike NJ, NJ and CA (beg. Apr.1) and some other states, does not use an alternate base year calculation for determining benefits and thus would not capture those new earnings in a new evaluation for at least four months, or longer, depending on when the job ended and the claim was reopened.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 02-29-2012 at 11:26 AM..

Old 02-29-2012, 07:22 PM

856 posts, read 2,014,209 times
It seems more and more states are catching up their laws to the fact that people have to work temp jobs or for less wages during a period in order to get the new experience and references needed to get back to work full time. If you have questions it may be best to speak to someone. When I transitioned onto euc they gave me that interim week (I'd worked briefly during the state period, similar "short" week to you). When I went back to work ft permanent I had a "missed" week before I got paid...unfortunately they calculate hours worked not wether you got paid yet.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:54 PM

71 posts, read 249,906 times
Quote:

A staffing recruiter? Cool.... But a staffing recruiter on an unemployment forum? Talk about an oasis in the desert. I know you are here seeking unemployment advice and I don't mean to hijack your thread or be all "up in your biz", but there are quite a few folks on here that reside in PA. Care to offer us some knowledge, tips, or solid leads? You can respond to me via a Direct Mail if you like. Thanks in advance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment