U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 06:13 PM

11 posts, read 28,824 times

Advertisements

According to the Pennsylvania FAQ for EUC, the end dates for EUC tier exhaustion requirements would mean tier 2 and tier 3 would need to be exhausted by 03/03/2012, and the last payable date is 8/12/2012.

See here: Benefits

Are these dates 'leftovers' from the 2 month extension passed in December, or has Pennsylvania set it's own phase-out dates for EUC? Is the EUC extension legislation so new, that PA has not updated their website FAQ yet? Shouldn't the new end dates be December 2012?

Another question - if I'm reading the UC FAQ posted on here correctly, is there going to be a reduction in weekly benefits from this point on? There is a chart in the FAQ listing benefit amounts of 80%, 54%, 50%, 24% - does this mean from this point forward, the benefits we receive per week is going to be reduced based on what tier we are in - or transitioning to?

I am currently in tier 2, with 4 weeks left, which would take me past the 03/03/2012 deadline - does that mean I will not qualify to transition to tier 3, or is the PA EUC FAQ webpage incorrect?

There is a lot of conflicting information on the PA UC website - including a message that the EB/HUB benefits have ceased as of 2/18/2012, yet on the front page, there is a message that the governor has signed and extension of EB benefits until March 10th, 2012.
See here: http://www.dli.state.pa.us/portal/se..._continue.html

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 06:19 PM

14,384 posts, read 19,160,414 times
Please read: CD FAQS: http://www.city-data.com/forum/23140531-post5.html

Old 02-26-2012, 08:02 PM

72 posts, read 159,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSD2000 View Post
According to the Pennsylvania FAQ for EUC, the end dates for EUC tier exhaustion requirements would mean tier 2 and tier 3 would need to be exhausted by 03/03/2012, and the last payable date is 8/12/2012.

Are these dates 'leftovers' from the 2 month extension passed in December, or has Pennsylvania set it's own phase-out dates for EUC? Is the EUC extension legislation so new, that PA has not updated their website FAQ yet? Shouldn't the new end dates be December 2012?

Another question - if I'm reading the UC FAQ posted on here correctly, is there going to be a reduction in weekly benefits from this point on? There is a chart in the FAQ listing benefit amounts of 80%, 54%, 50%, 24% - does this mean from this point forward, the benefits we receive per week is going to be reduced based on what tier we are in - or transitioning to?

I am currently in tier 2, with 4 weeks left, which would take me past the 03/03/2012 deadline - does that mean I will not qualify to transition to tier 3, or is the PA EUC FAQ webpage incorrect?

There is a lot of conflicting information on the PA UC website - including a message that the EB/HUB benefits have ceased as of 2/18/2012, yet on the front page, there is a message that the governor has signed and extension of EB benefits until March 10th, 2012.

I'm in PA as well. Many sleepless nights researching PA UC laws. You've come to the right place for straight answers, especially from forum poster Ariadne22.

Bottom line - The PA UC website information is not up to date. The latest update on that website concerning EUC was dated 2/15/12. This information is no longer valid as new legislation was passed on 2/17/12. Please read the FAQ for details.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:20 PM

Yes, I did read that - thanks. My questions were derived after reading that post, I just wanted confirmation that the PA EUC FAQ was incorrect, and the probability that the PA website has not been updated yet. That question has been answered - thanks again.

But, I do want to confirm what the FAQ post you mentioned said, which lists reductions in the amount of paid benefits (weekly amount) based on each tier - which is a big deal that nobody seems to be talking about.

One more bit of information I find fascinating is that the more discouraged, unemployed people just give up looking for work, the 'rosier' the unemployment numbers are for each state, which forces some states to reduce benefits because they no longer meet the set 'triggers' to qualify. It's not as if people are finding work, but more and more are simply falling off the charts, which artificially lowers the states unemployment percentage rate.

I can tell you right now, things are not getting better where I live. Businesses are not hiring and the workforce participation has shrunk.

It almost seems like the system is rigged so that as people get discouraged, run out of benefits, and drop off the map (leave the workforce), the 'better' the statistics look, which effects the length of benefits available for those still receiving benefits. The net effect is, states begin to fail to meet the qualifications to continue offering benefits because their UC rates are artificially dropping, not because the economy is improving. It's almost like the politicians want the problem to go away, so they rig the statistics to fit their agenda ('things are getting better'), hoping the false and misleading signs and policies will convince people that things are getting better.

Case in point, the company I was laid off from back in 2009 just released their employee numbers for 2011. When I started with them back in 1996, they had over 16,000 employees at their corporate headquarters. When I left, that number was down to 8,600. Whole floors of office space was shut down, and R&D buildings were closed. At the end of 2011, they were down to 3,800, with no sign of hiring in the near or distant future.

Many of the business and industrial parks in my area that were bustling with business activity and parking lots full of employee vehicles - are now empty, vacant or shut down. What companies are left have scaled back, with parking lots only 1/4 full from before entering this recession.

I don't want to be a 'Debbie Downer' about the whole situation; I am grateful for the help and benefits I have received so far, but I don't want to be a pawn in a system where the truth is being fabricated and manipulated for political purposes.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Yes, I did read that - thanks. My questions were derived after reading that post, I just wanted confirmation that the PA EUC FAQ was incorrect, and the probability that the PA website has not been updated yet. That question has been answered - thanks again.

But, I do want to confirm what the FAQ post you mentioned said, which lists reductions in the amount of paid benefits (weekly amount) based on each tier - which is a big deal that nobody seems to be talking about.

I guess you are referring to this part 6 in the FAQ:

6. EUC Benefit Calculation is based on original monetary determination of claim as follows:

Through September 1, 2012:
Tier 1 - 80% of original benefit amount
Tier 2 - 54% of original benefit amount
Tier 3 - 50% of original benefit amount
Tier 4 - 24% of original benefit amount

What this means is that if you are entitled to collect $100 total on your State UC (or $3.84 over 26 weeks), when you transition to Tier 2 EUC you will receive $80 (or $3.84 over 20 weeks), T3-$54 (or $3.84 over 14 weeks), Etc. The percentage applies to the amount you qualify for based on the number of weeks in each Tier. This will not change thru 9/1/12. Based on the information you provided in your earlier post, you should transition into Tier 3 on 3/24/12 and your last week of EUC will be 6/23/12. You will not move into Tier 3 unless the PA unemployment rate reaches 9% which is not likely.

One more bit of information I find fascinating is that the more discouraged, unemployed people just give up looking for work, the 'rosier' the unemployment numbers are for each state, which forces some states to reduce benefits because they no longer meet the set 'triggers' to qualify. It's not as if people are finding work, but more and more are simply falling off the charts, which artificially lowers the states unemployment percentage rate.

Totally agree with you here buddy!

I can tell you right now, things are not getting better where I live. Businesses are not hiring and the workforce participation has shrunk.

I am in the Eastern part of PA and the market is just pure crap. The only jobs that seem hot are the skilled professions or nurses. All the generalist type jobs are few and far apart with interviews only going to the highest qualified (over qualified). An example would be an entry level accounting job that mentions "CPA" preference in the ad.

It almost seems like the system is rigged so that as people get discouraged, run out of benefits, and drop off the map (leave the workforce), the 'better' the statistics look, which effects the length of benefits available for those still receiving benefits. The net effect is, states begin to fail to meet the qualifications to continue offering benefits because their UC rates are artificially dropping, not because the economy is improving. It's almost like the politicians want the problem to go away, so they rig the statistics to fit their agenda ('things are getting better'), hoping the false and misleading signs and policies will convince people that things are getting better.

I have noticed the PA Unemployment hotline staff is less then helpful. Their favorite line is "We cannot give you an answer because the law can change at anytime".

Case in point, the company I was laid off from back in 2009 just released their employee numbers for 2011. When I started with them back in 1996, they had over 16,000 employees at their corporate headquarters. When I left, that number was down to 8,600. Whole floors of office space was shut down, and R&D buildings were closed. At the end of 2011, they were down to 3,800, with no sign of hiring in the near or distant future.

Many of the business and industrial parks in my area that were bustling with business activity and parking lots full of employee vehicles - are now empty, vacant or shut down. What companies are left have scaled back, with parking lots only 1/4 full from before entering this recession.

I don't want to be a 'Debbie Downer' about the whole situation; I am grateful for the help and benefits I have received so far, but I don't want to be a pawn in a system where the truth is being fabricated and manipulated for political purposes.
See my comments in RED. Again credit goes to Ariadne because I am pretty much repeating what I learned from this person.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:41 PM

14,384 posts, read 19,160,414 times
Quote:
Beginning September 2nd, benefit weeks in Tiers 1 and 3 are reduced, Tier 4 increased, for a net reduction of 6 weeks in the EUC tier program. Weekly benefits do not change, just the number of weeks available to collect, none of which will probably affect you as possibleSecondAct explained.

This is not a surprise. There has been discussion on this board for many months that the goal of Congress was to reduce federal benefits from 73 weeks to 33 weeks. All tiers have been affected by the new legislation. To the end of the year, assuming the higher UE rate triggers are met, some states may still qualify for for 47 weeks.

EB for all practical purposes is pretty much gone in all but five states by June. Congress got the ball rolling on that last December when it failed to adjust the lookback to four years. See chart in FAQS.

Worse, yet, imo, EUC tier benefit payments end abruptly on 12/29, which has never been done previously. That is a significant change and harbinger of how serious Congress really is about getting out of the unemployment benefit business.

Check back on the 2012 extension thread to 2/17. Extensive discussion takes place the entire day on the meaning of the legislation.

Media and Congress are quiet on this, for obvious reasons, but there has been plenty of discussion here.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 02-26-2012 at 10:57 PM..

Old 02-26-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by possibleSecondAct View Post
See my comments in RED. Again credit goes to Ariadne because I am pretty much repeating what I learned from this person.
Ok, my mistake - I misinterpreted the percentage benefit calculation to mean weekly benefit amounts, not the calculated length of each tier. D'oh!

It makes sense now.

So, unless PA's department of Labor and Industry stops manipulating the unemployment rate numbers (currently 7.5% statewide - yeah right!), tier 4 is out of reach for me, since the EU rate trigger will be increased to 9% starting June 3rd (part 4 in the FAQ), which will be 3 weeks before I complete tier 3.

I still don't understand how the PA unemployment rate can go from 8.3% (up from 8.2% in August, 2011) in September, 2011; to 7.6% in December and now 7.5% for January - without manipulation of the numbers.

Here's a question: if things are getting better, why would you need to increase the EU trigger rates? Shouldn't the improving national unemployment rates automatically trigger off the states as they improve - even using the current EU trigger rates? Why would you need to make it harder for states to qualify, if there should be no need to? Why not keep the rates the same and let 'nature run its course'? Does anyone else find that odd?

Thanks again for the help!

Old 02-27-2012, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Ok, my mistake - I misinterpreted the percentage benefit calculation to mean weekly benefit amounts, not the calculated length of each tier. D'oh!

It makes sense now.

So, unless PA's department of Labor and Industry stops manipulating the unemployment rate numbers (currently 7.5% statewide - yeah right!), tier 4 is out of reach for me, since the EU rate trigger will be increased to 9% starting June 3rd (part 4 in the FAQ), which will be 3 weeks before I complete tier 3.

I still don't understand how the PA unemployment rate can go from 8.3% (up from 8.2% in August, 2011) in September, 2011; to 7.6% in December and now 7.5% for January - without manipulation of the numbers.

Here's a question: if things are getting better, why would you need to increase the EU trigger rates? Shouldn't the improving national unemployment rates automatically trigger off the states as they improve - even using the current EU trigger rates? Why would you need to make it harder for states to qualify, if there should be no need to? Why not keep the rates the same and let 'nature run its course'? Does anyone else find that odd?

Thanks again for the help!
The UE rate is based on the number of people filing for benefits. If a person runs out of benefits they are not a part of the statistic (even if it means they are still without a job). I am sure this was a major contributing factor to the UE rate going down in PA.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:55 AM

19,413 posts, read 11,563,828 times
Quote:

By the time you finished typing all of this you could have been on the phone with them them and asked THEM since they WOULD KNOW more about the website than someone on a public forum.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:47 AM

4,171 posts, read 4,773,880 times
Surely, you jest. There is no way you're going to get through to a live body on the first try without waiting on hold for an eternity, and you still might very well get the wrong answer.

The best source of advice in these matters is to consult with people that have previously "lived through the issue."

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
By the time you finished typing all of this you could have been on the phone with them them and asked THEM since they WOULD KNOW more about the website than someone on a public forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment