Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 03:20 AM

7 posts, read 51,255 times

Advertisements

I worked full time(8+hours/day) for 10 months. I was hired as a temp through an recruitment agency. I was let go of due to no fault of my own. Will I qualify for unemployment?

If so who do I say I worked for? (My check came from the recruitment agency)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 04:14 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,221,695 times
If the job was done than you can collect from it, if you were fired they can fight it. You should always file under the employer, who in this case was the temporary service.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:58 PM

7 posts, read 51,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy1 View Post
If the job was done than you can collect from it, if you were fired they can fight it. You should always file under the employer, who in this case was the temporary service.
Sorry so is the employer/temporary service the recruitment agency?

Recruitment agency X hired me to work at Company Z. I worked at Company Z while my checks came from Recruitment agency X. I should file against Recruitment agency X? How long after I left could I file?

Old 03-05-2012, 03:03 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by room7 View Post
Sorry so is the employer/temporary service the recruitment agency?

Recruitment agency X hired me to work at Company Z. I worked at Company Z while my checks came from Recruitment agency X. I should file against Recruitment agency X? How long after I left could I file?
You file under Recruitment Agency X. They're the ones that employed you. You were not an employee of Company Z.

The tricky part is did the assignment end because it was over or were you let go for some other reason?

Also, have you turned down any other work from this agency?

Temp agencies don't like to pay unemployment. If it ended because the assignment was over go ahead and file.

But keep in mind if they call you for other assignments and you turn them down, they will fight your unemployment.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:02 AM

241 posts, read 1,020,027 times
I don't know how it's like in other states but here in CA I think there's like a law that you can't work 11 months as temp. You either need to get hired by the company or they just flat out lay you off and have new temps take over your job.

So yeah, when you file for UI, u need to use the temp agency as your employer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You file under Recruitment Agency X. They're the ones that employed you. You were not an employee of Company Z.

Temp agencies don't like to pay unemployment. If it ended because the assignment was over go ahead and file.

But keep in mind if they call you for other assignments and you turn them down, they will fight your unemployment.
Do employers pay for your UI when you're collecting or when you're working for them? Yes, it gets interesting when you're on UI and the agency finds u another assignment, cuz for all you know.. the assignment could be for a short time.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:32 AM

482 posts, read 901,980 times
[quote=rgarjr;23278788]I don't know how it's like in other states but here in CA I think there's like a law that you can't work 11 months as temp. You either need to get hired by the company or they just flat out lay you off and have new temps take over your job.

Thats a new one on me! I have worked as a "temp" over two years on the same work assignment. Show me that "law". Companies love temps, disposable employees, no benefits, no w/c. I have seen people laid off from their permanent positions only to be called back as a contract "temp" to do their SAME JOB with no benefits, and lower pay. They got us where they want us.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:52 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
[quote=SoCalTwinkie;23297285]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarjr View Post
I don't know how it's like in other states but here in CA I think there's like a law that you can't work 11 months as temp. You either need to get hired by the company or they just flat out lay you off and have new temps take over your job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarjr View Post

Thats a new one on me! I have worked as a "temp" over two years on the same work assignment. Show me that "law". Companies love temps, disposable employees, no benefits, no w/c. I have seen people laid off from their permanent positions only to be called back as a contract "temp" to do their SAME JOB with no benefits, and lower pay. They got us where they want us.
Why would you temp at the same place for 2yrs and not push to get hired full time?

There are laws in many states about how long a temp can work at the same location and not be made permanent worker.

You might want to check into that, now maybe you're an independent contractor.

But someone who say goes into Office Team and is put on a temp assignment, it can't go past a year in most states.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:25 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,412,734 times
[quote=seain dublin;23321763]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTwinkie View Post
But someone who say goes into Office Team and is put on a temp assignment, it can't go past a year in most states.
I'm just finishing up a temp assignment that ran from November 2010 until the end of this month (March 30, 2012). The assignment was through an agency in North Carolina.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:06 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,221,695 times
I had the same thing in NC GPC, worked over a year for a temporary service and then when the company had the opening I was hired (and I might add that being as I had worked for over a year with the temporary service the company did not have to hire me from them, thus saving themselves a fee). I did not mind it at all!

Old 03-08-2012, 07:59 PM

241 posts, read 1,020,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTwinkie View Post

Yeah I don't know if that's true or not but you're right about loving disposable employees. They rather get rid of them and make a call to the agency and have new ones the next day, and they don't care if you know the job really well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment