U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-14-2012, 09:55 AM

12 posts, read 32,818 times

Advertisements

How do unemployment benefits work if I have one part time job already since going on unemployment, but I've been recently hired for another part time job?

Since there's only one space for one part time job, do I keep claiming for the first part time job that I originally had until the benefits run out?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 10:07 AM

4,173 posts, read 4,782,125 times
In my opinion, you shouldn't have taken the first part time job let alone the second.

They do nothing but mess up or complicate your claim.

Report the earnings, and you're going to have to call the UE people to see what to do, but I caution you that you may be heading for trouble. If the two part time jobs add up to close to 40 hours/week, you just might find yourself getting disqualified as unable and unavailable the same way a full-time student might be without prior approval to attend classes because you have no time to look for work, or because you no longer meet your state's definition of "unemployed" because you're working enough hours in their eyes regardless of the crappy pay.

This is from NJ's unemployment PDF:

To be eligible, you must not be employed for more than 80%
of the normal hours worked in the occupation (e.g., if a 40
hour week is common in your occupation, you may be able
to receive benefits if you work 32 hours or less).

Last edited by Chyvan; 03-14-2012 at 10:18 AM..

Old 03-14-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
In my opinion, you shouldn't have taken the first part time job let alone the second.

They do nothing but mess up or complicate your claim.

Report the earnings, and you're going to have to call the UE people to see what to do, but I caution you that you may be heading for trouble. If the two part time jobs add up to close to 40 hours/week, you just might find yourself getting disqualified as unable and unavailable the same way a full-time student might be without prior approval to attend classes because you have no time to look for work, or because you no longer meet your state's definition of "unemployed" because you're working enough hours in their eyes regardless of the crappy pay.
I've already had the first part time before I went on unemployment. I've always had two jobs--one full-time and one part-time, but I was laid off from my full-time job, prompting me to go get unemployment.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:42 AM

4,173 posts, read 4,782,125 times
Let us know how it works out.

In my opinion then, you should have been looking for a replacement full-time job, and it is your right to refuse unsuitable work, and a part-time job is a poor substitute for the full-time job that you lost.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:40 PM

14,384 posts, read 19,182,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGearX View Post
I've already had the first part time before I went on unemployment. I've always had two jobs--one full-time and one part-time, but I was laid off from my full-time job, prompting me to go get unemployment.
I remember your situation. What did NJ grant you in the way of benefits?

Old 03-14-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
Let us know how it works out.

In my opinion then, you should have been looking for a replacement full-time job, and it is your right to refuse unsuitable work, and a part-time job is a poor substitute for the full-time job that you lost.
I still AM looking for a full-time job. My field of graphic design is very competitive and jobs in the South Jersey area are very scarce. In the meantime, two part time jobs will have to do. I don't know my schedule for my new job yet, but I might be able to get off unemployment if the hours are good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I remember your situation. What did NJ grant you in the way of benefits?
I called the unemployment office and explained my situation. In 15 minutes, I was finished. They canceled the new claim I accidentally made at the beginning of the year and continued my existing claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment