Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 03:03 PM

24 posts, read 115,944 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I received a letter stating that I need to appear at the local office because I'm about to exhaust my Tier 1 benefits and need to establish my claim for Tier 2. They want work search forms and there's also a Reemployment Eligibility Assessment Review Form to complete as well. Has anyone actually done this process yet? I have never had to go to the local office so am really hoping for no surprises at this visit. Thanks for any thoughts.

Maslow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 05:23 PM

14,500 posts, read 30,952,111 times
I believe this is only because of the new requirements associated with the recent EUC extension passed on February 22, 2012.

I doubt many had to deal with this, so you're probably on your own with getting any solid information on how painful the process will be.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:41 PM

Thanks Chyvan. Figure I'll just go and hope for nothing painful. I've been working part time and continue to apply for jobs, so I can't think of anything that would put benefits at risk; however, this is Illinois. Not really sure what they'll ask, but I'll report back. Not looking forward to it--lol.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:37 PM

Well, quite an adventure. I was first told my job logs were inadequate and needed to fix them. So, I did right there. Then, I was told I would be given the automatic audit regarding actively looking for work. And I have received that audit, so it's not a lie. The rep explained "everyone is to receive this and it's the Feds doing it not me". Take that for what it may be worth. So, now I have a phone interview to explain whether or not I have really been looking for work. Most of my job search has been online and the rep said they don't consider that enough. Ugh. I don't care if you talk to a neighbor about mowing a lawn--consider and cite that as a job possibility as this is getting unreal.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:55 PM

14,500 posts, read 30,952,111 times
If you get a denial on the work search, appeal it.

Some reasons I've seen for getting benefits reinstated is that the state does a terrible job telling you what a correct work search is. They use the behind the scenes criteria that is not a regulatory or statutory requirement. The theory being that your failure to comply with the work search is because you weren't given the information to be incompliance. You have to then show that in the past you've gotten jobs, worked, and been successful using the very technique you're using right now, and that any failure you're having finding a job is because work is not available to you rather then you're not available or looking for it.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:24 PM

878 posts, read 1,648,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maslow23 View Post
Most of my job search has been online and the rep said they don't consider that enough. Ugh. I don't care if you talk to a neighbor about mowing a lawn--consider and cite that as a job possibility as this is getting unreal.
I spent 14 months on unemployment and did all of my job searching online. I found my job and was hired over the phone for a job 3000 miles away...

... all without leaving my living room.

Online searching not being enough is a crock especially with today's gas prices.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:39 PM

25,598 posts, read 56,298,371 times
Not only that, try getting into any HR office for an in-person application without an appointment. You can't even get past the guard in the lobby in most large office buildings, these days.

I'd be interested to know what Illinois UE is defining as "enough," given today's online Chinese wall between applicant and employer.

How ridiculous.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:43 AM

Completely agree with all the above and appreciate the comments. The interview is next Wednesday. Not really certain what I'll say other than that I have applied online and when applying in person have been told to go online to complete the process (as we all know). Hopefully, no denial, but who the heck knows. I still have time to polish my response to the expected question(s). I just hope I have not been the chosen one for this and future "audits". Something strange is happening in Illinois as I've also received 3 automated calls regarding workshops that the local is holding in the last week as well. I wonder if they have made the Feds angry--lol.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:10 AM

3 posts, read 8,932 times
Unhappy Hey, so what happened?

Hey Maslow.... I'm really curious to fond out what happened after your interviews. Did they find your search inadequate? Did you have to pay back any of the Unemployment benefits? I am scared of this entire process. Are they really looking to help people out or harrass them for not being able to find work?

Old 07-05-2012, 12:54 AM

3 posts, read 8,932 times
Post hi

so what happened?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment