U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-18-2012, 06:12 AM

2 posts, read 12,893 times
Default Acceptable Excuses for reschedule of Re-employment Orientation

Hey People,

Before you guys start calling me a piece of garbage abusing our "oh so honest" unemployment system, let me explain. OH you heard it all before? OK let me cut to the chase.

I was injured at work, became permanently disabled, and of course my company did not want to put me in a position where I could keep my job and showed me the door.

Immediately after being fired (excuses me, let go due to lack of work within the company), I got a lawyer for workers comp and started collecting Unemployment. I should have got a lawyer sooner, but I was naive and loyal to my company I worked for, like and idiot. SO I figured oh well I'm hurt I have insurance, I'm OK. Or so I thought. Anyway back to the story, in this time of being unemployed and only receiving 40% of my pay (I worked 70+ hours a week so as you can guess my money came from overtime) I had to decide what was more important, my car payment or feeding my kids. So the car went and now I drive a $500 beater. Hey, we do what we need to survive.

6 months later I've won the first workers comp hearing (waiting for an appeal from the other side) and exhausted my first round of unemployment. Now, my hearing is a 2 part hearing because I sustained 2 injury's. The first was on the job, and the second was agitation to the original injury which is what slammed me down to being permanently disabled. The hearing was a joke, and the judge was actually rather irritated with what the company had tried to pull over on me. My accident reports were NEVER submitted to the state which looked very poorly on them. Either way this doesn't solve my financial troubles. As their is no money flow from WC as of yet, and even so this is for the first injury which was an emergency room visit, a cat scan, MRI and 2 ultrasounds and a lot of pain pills. So even when I get awarded for that one the total payments most likely wont exceed $1200. The second case will be my joke of a money maker, but it will keep food and electricity on.

But I digress, I was supposed to be short and sweat and rambled on. So it boils down to the fact that I have extended my benefits, and received the letter about re-employment orientation. The date they gave me is a HUGE conflict with family matters, my mother is remarrying and I'm the best man to my soon to be step father. Excited as hell for my mother because she's been single for 22 years since my father passed.

I know I can't call up and ask to reschedule because I'm going to be on a vacation. I couldn't see that flying even though this was planned a year out in advance and if I were still working I would be on a well planed approved vacation. They wont see it that way I'm sure even though I know I wont be collecting that week. But I wanted to ask you guys if any of you had luck rescheduling, and if so what was your acceptable reasoning? I'm even cool with jumping in my POS car and driving down today if they would let me. Has anyone had luck saying you wish to come in sooner?

My next question is, since I'm disabled and have been collecting unemployment does that open me up to some issues? I believe I read I was supposed to go straight to Social Security, but they don't recognize my disability (lymphedema), so another kick in the ass need a lawyer situation. When I do go for this orientation I'm sure I will have to disclose that I'm disabled. I can't stand or walk for more then a hour/half mile, I can't lift anything over 20 pounds, I can't do stairs, etc. It kind of narrows my availability. I have been applying for jobs I know I can do, but in all honesty I'm not trained for a desk job, and I can't stay in a sitting position for more then 2 hours or I wont be able to walk period.

So I get that I'm screwed but hopefully someone out there might be going or have been threw the same thing and can provide some advise.

Last edited by transamguy; 04-18-2012 at 06:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 09:34 AM

3,780 posts, read 4,233,622 times
That re-employment stuff is a new requirement for euc tier 1 and tier 2. Prior to now, no one ever had to go. So it's unlikely anyone has come up the the correct excuse to postpone it.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:02 PM

34 posts, read 94,551 times
I hope your rescheduling went well for you Transamguy.
To answer the more general question based on my experience, I called and rescheduled my appointment and wasn't asked to provide a reason. I told them my next available date, which was a week later, they made sure it jived with their scheduling and had my appointment today.
I had a very nice rep, who gave me some job seeking paperwork and a flyer about computer and interviewing skill classes which I will attend because one should never assume they know everything. I was told I wouldn't have to see them again as my work search logs were in great shape, I provided my resume and I was dressed professionally. I went to the appointment, treating it like an interview, not an easy thing to do when you are 8 months pregnant and sweating all the time (haha) but the rep's see that you are respecting them & their time by taking the appointment seriously and really make an effort to help.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 11,170 times
I missed my REA appointment because I had committed to a contract temp position that fell on the same day as the appointment. I tried calling several times to let them know that I needed to reschedule, but could not get through. I have sent them all sorts of letters and forms letting them know.

Is this going to affect me getting unemployment later? I hope someone can give me some advice.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:28 PM

4,404 posts, read 5,069,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elie32 View Post
I missed my REA appointment because I had committed to a contract temp position that fell on the same day as the appointment. I tried calling several times to let them know that I needed to reschedule, but could not get through. I have sent them all sorts of letters and forms letting them know.

Is this going to affect me getting unemployment later? I hope someone can give me some advice.
No idea what state you are in.....

Failure to show up to this appointment in CA will be taken as telling CA that you have a full time job. You say you sent letters...but without a confirmation of a change in the date, you will still VERY likely be seen as a no show, as you had an appointment.

You will have to go through quite a process, with quite a delay, in order to restart your benefits. IMO you would have been better off to call in sick to the temp job. I wish I had more encouraging news, but the letter from CA says, almost exactly, what I said above. As far as I know, the other states have the same rules and handle no-show the same way.

Best of luck.

Last edited by thebunny; 07-25-2012 at 10:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment