Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 10:11 PM

45 posts, read 294,085 times

Advertisements

I have a question about working going overseas to look for a job. Let me know if I should start a new thread. Its just that my history in this thread may apply.

Most of what I have read in City-Data about going overseas for work has to do with NY.(NY UI rules and how the track people)

I want to go to Japan to try and get an ESL Teaching job. While I am there and searching I know I am ineligible for UI. I understand that I could suspend my claim but for how long? What are the rules regarding this?

I know my claim would be suspended if I stopped reporting on my weekly claim but is that a proper way to do it?

It's a big risk because if I do find a job I won't be paying into any UI system I can draw from should the job not work out. And if I return to the US , my chances of getting back on after 2 months of foreign employment seem slim. (it's like a "catch20FU")

What I would like to know is, what is the most efficient way to suspend my claim while I am gone (sands job)?

In the event that I do return, I have a feeling re-opening my claim will be an epic nightmare. Is there anything I can do to streamline this process?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 11:15 PM

14,500 posts, read 30,916,783 times
I'm not so sure that going out of the country is disqualifying by itself. It's just that there is a presumption that you can't possibly be looking for work.

I think you should check with EDD about if there is a correct and formal way to look for a job as an ESL teacher so that you can continue to draw UI while out of the country.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
I'm not so sure that going out of the country is disqualifying by itself. It's just that there is a presumption that you can't possibly be looking for work.

I think you should check with EDD about if there is a correct and formal way to look for a job as an ESL teacher so that you can continue to draw UI while out of the country.
Thanks Chyvan.

I've been combing the EDD site and google for answers to these questions and I've found very little. I might need to try calling again.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:37 PM

So, just talked to an EDD clerk and I got some idea but things are still very murky.

BTW- I found that using Google Voice to Call as well as your cell phone is not a bad way to blanket the system until you get through. It did take me about 14 calls but I did get in.

So, this lady I talked was probably not the sharpest knife in the drawer. When I started explaining my situation she right off the bat started telling me about a friend of hers who went to Afghanistan, and had her mother call in her certification for her. Huh? She then went on to ask me "why are you going all the way to Japan for a job?"

Once I got the conversation back into reality, I ask how the EDD would view my efforts looking for work in Japan and she said it qualified the "looking for work" requirement. She then said that the EDD does not track claimants and should have no problem where a person is as long as they certify that they ARE looking for, and available for work. She also had no knowlege of the EDD web Cert "blocking" or "flagging" forigen IP adress. (Like I've read in other threads)

Thinking that this is just too good to be true, I asked her to get confirmation on this rule because she couldn't look up any specific info on this as a polocy.

She then went to ask someone in "Phone Determinations" and after a long hold she came back with conflicting info. She said that this person had explained that after I leave the country, if I still were collecting benifets, I would be scheduled for a phone interview. And in that interview I would be asked one key question:

#1 If the work I am looking for qualifies as my usual employment. Had I worked in that profession before and did I have a track record of working in that profession?

#2 While I am searching for a job out of the country, I have to meet all the other requirements. Available for work, not receiving any money, if so report it, ect..

If I decide to "suspend" my claim I simply stop filling out the certification. When I return I need to call or "re-file" my claim online. If I want to try and keep my benifets, I have to call and notify the EDD, with a date when I am leaving the country.

Still all sounds like a cluster ^&$@! Nothing is clear but I guess that's as much as I am going to know on this subject until I try and find out by going for it in Japan.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:09 PM

25,590 posts, read 56,250,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbones View Post
If I want to try and keep my benifets, I have to call and notify the EDD, with a date when I am leaving the country.
This is what I was told by a CA EDD recipient who was suspending her claim for a couple of weeks. She, too, had called EDD on the proper procedure. Sounds like a good policy and may avoid delays in resuming the claim later if you decide not to claim while you are gone.

Haha - rep telling you to have a friend/relative claim in your absence. Oy vey.

Sounds like CA is at least willing to work with out-of-country job seekers.

Thanks for the detailed report. Interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment