U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-20-2012, 06:12 AM
 
45 posts, read 127,492 times
Reputation: 30

Advertisements

I started my EDD claim in CA but I moved shortly after with no trouble at all to another state (KY).

I've exhausted my state benefits on April 7th. I am now filing (waiting) for my first extension in to "Tier 1" benefits from the EDD. I understand that I really don't need to "do" anything as my claim should be filed for me automatically. I have received a letter saying "You may qualify for extended benefits...You will be notified..." (what looks like a blank clam form) and I have received my new claim form with nothing printed in the top portion.

I don't need to send in the claim form until April 21st. But it seems like I should have received a letter to tell me my benefits have been extended by now. It has been about 9 days since I received my last check. How long do I wait before (god help me) I have to contact the EDD? Is there anything else I need to know?

Also, should I expect a reduction in weekly benefits in subsequent "tiers"?

I have read everything I can on this topic but I can't seem to feel at ease about any of it.


Great forum! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-20-2012, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
14,384 posts, read 19,160,414 times
Reputation: 6878
Your weekly benefit does not change. Send in your claims as usual. Chances are there should be no break in benefits. However, as you are a new EUC 1 claimant, under the new federal regulations CA may have new requirements on registering with KY UE services, etc., and the transition process may take a bit longer, as well. You will be hearing from them eventually.

Of course, if you don't get paid, call CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2012, 04:14 PM
 
45 posts, read 127,492 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Your weekly benefit does not change. Send in your claims as usual. Chances are there should be no break in benefits. However, as you are a new EUC 1 claimant, under the new federal regulations CA may have new requirements on registering with KY UE services, etc., and the transition process may take a bit longer, as well. You will be hearing from them eventually.

Of course, if you don't get paid, call CA.
So I will hear from KY UE and have to file paperwork with them and/or report to them on my bi-weekly basis or is this just a paperwork thing between CA and KY and I continue dealing with EDD?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2012, 04:36 PM
 
4,172 posts, read 4,773,880 times
Reputation: 850
CA and KY will likely not cooperate. You'll have to do everything yourself, and constantly follow up. CA would much prefer that you come to CA to do your employment registration, but that would be impractical. So it will be your responsibility to negotiate with CA as to what they can live with, and the paperwork that you'll have to get copies of and provide to them. Ariadne22 says, "new federal regulations CA may have new requirements on registering with KY UE services." It's just as likely that CA will have no qualms about shutting you down when you don't register in CA.

You need to roll up your sleeves and get proactive. The "new federal regulations" are just that. There is no established policy, so I really hope you get a person at CA EDD that understands your plight and is willing to work with you so that you can do everything necessary to comply while you are in KY. There's also a good chance that KY is busy handling their own residents' problems that they won't care about your requirements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2012, 06:39 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
14,384 posts, read 19,160,414 times
Reputation: 6878
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbones View Post
So I will hear from KY UE
No. Nowhere in my post did I say you would hearing from KY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbones View Post
have to file paperwork with them (KY) and/or report to them on my bi-weekly basis
You will - probably - need to register with KY for an employment assessment. CA will tell you how to proceed. All your work search information goes to CA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbones View Post
or is this just a paperwork thing between CA and KY and I continue dealing with EDD?
It's not a paperwork thing between CA/KY. It is a paperwork thing between you and CA. You continue to deal with CA and follow CA's instructions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2012, 06:54 PM
 
45 posts, read 127,492 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
CA and KY will likely not cooperate. You'll have to do everything yourself, and constantly follow up. CA would much prefer that you come to CA to do your employment registration, but that would be impractical. So it will be your responsibility to negotiate with CA as to what they can live with, and the paperwork that you'll have to get copies of and provide to them. Ariadne22 says, "new federal regulations CA may have new requirements on registering with KY UE services." It's just as likely that CA will have no qualms about shutting you down when you don't register in CA.

You need to roll up your sleeves and get proactive. The "new federal regulations" are just that. There is no established policy, so I really hope you get a person at CA EDD that understands your plight and is willing to work with you so that you can do everything necessary to comply while you are in KY. There's also a good chance that KY is busy handling their own residents' problems that they won't care about your requirements.
Hi Chyvan,

I appreciate your response but it leaves me with more questions than answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
CA and KY will likely not cooperate. You'll have to do everything yourself, and constantly follow up.
Since I have read and been told several times that my first extension is filed automatically, I'm not sure what you mean by "do everything yourself". I don't know if you heard but getting through to the EDD is a nightmare and I don't want to go through the trouble unless I clearly know what I am trying to accomplish. If I need to contact KY, how will I know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
CA would much prefer that you come to CA to do your employment registration, but that would be impractical. So it will be your responsibility to negotiate with CA as to what they can live with, and the paperwork that you'll have to get copies of and provide to them. Ariadne22 says, "new federal regulations CA may have new requirements on registering with KY UE services." It's just as likely that CA will have no qualms about shutting you down when you don't register in CA.
I file everything with CA EDD via mail phone or web. They actually prefer claimants do it this way because it speeds up their processes. And I knew that before I got a letter encouraging me to use those methods even if I still lived in CA. So, I don't think I need to negotiate over paper work. If there is something I need to do with KY, well I am here so I can visit an office if I need to but my question was pertaining to if I needed to do anything with KY at all. If I am filling out paperwork for KY, then what would I be contacting CA for awyway?

If fact the gist of my post has to do with what I should expect for KY as far as continuing my claim. What steps need to be taken? What should I prepare for and how? And most importantly who am I dealing with, KY or CA going forward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
You need to roll up your sleeves and get proactive. The "new federal regulations" are just that. There is no established policy, so I really hope you get a person at CA EDD that understands your plight and is willing to work with you so that you can do everything necessary to comply while you are in KY. There's also a good chance that KY is busy handling their own residents' problems that they won't care about your requirements.
So you are saying that there is no established federal policy for trans state unemployment insurance? I find that extremely hard to believe, even if it's a bad or confusing one. My situation is not unique. There are thousands of people collecting UI benefits from states other than the ones that stared their claim. Maybe CA and KY don't have a smooth system but there has to be some way they communicate. What I wanted to know was my part in it.

Thanks

- Sbones
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2012, 07:06 PM
 
45 posts, read 127,492 times
Reputation: 30
Hi Ariadne,

Thanks for taking the time to help me. Just so I have clarity here let me make sure I understand you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
No. Nowhere in my post did I say you would hearing from KY.
I didn't mean to imply you said that, I was asking a follow up question to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
CA may have new requirements on registering with KY UE services
And you are telling me that CA EDD with send instruction on how to register with KY UE services (info on my job searches) which will be forwarded to CA?

Payments will continue to come from CA EDD.

Any changes to my status, working, moving, extensions, are all still filed with CA EDD.

The only thing I need to do with KY UE is to report my weekly job search efforts (Via instructions by CA EDD).

Correct?

Thanks again!

-Sbones
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2012, 07:12 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
14,384 posts, read 19,160,414 times
Reputation: 6878
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbones View Post
And you are telling me that CA EDD with send instruction on how to register with KY UE services (info on my job searches) which will be forwarded to CA?
Yes. Wait to hear from CA on how to proceed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbones View Post
Payments will continue to come from CA EDD.
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbones View Post
Any changes to my status, working, moving, extensions, are all still filed with CA EDD.
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbones View Post
The only thing I need to do with KY UE is to report my weekly job search efforts (Via instructions by CA EDD).
No. We don't know that yet. It is my opinion CA will want you to register w/KY, because most states require their out-of-state claimants to register with their resident state.

Registering with KY does not mean you report your work searches to them. Registering w/KY is just for reemployment support.

Any reporting to KY, will depend on what CA says you have to do. It is very unlikely, CA/KY will be talking to each other on your claim. KY certainly will not report your work searches to CA. You have to do that - only if asked.

As I said earlier, you send any required work search information to CA. CA is still paying your benefits, therefore you report to CA. If CA also wants you to report to KY, CA will tell you so.

Work search submissions are not a federal requirement for EUC benefits. You need to do work searches and keep logs, but you are not required to report these work searches when you claim, or on any regular basis, unless you are asked to do so.

Wait to hear from CA on everything.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 04-20-2012 at 07:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2012, 08:09 PM
 
4,172 posts, read 4,773,880 times
Reputation: 850
Hopefully, Ariadne22's post clears everything up. I'm only referring to the work registration that is required of new EUC tier 1 and tier 2 claimants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2012, 08:11 PM
 
45 posts, read 127,492 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
Hopefully, Ariadne22's post clears everything up. I'm only referring to the work registration that is required of new EUC tier 1 and tier 2 claimants.
No worries mate! Thanks for the info and for responding!

- Sbones
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top