Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 06:58 AM

11 posts, read 24,105 times

Advertisements

Two months ago my husband and I planned and paid for a trip of a lifetime to Europe. We will be going on a cruise out of Venice Italy and seeing the Greek Islands. The airfare and cruise was all paid for and now it would cost us lots of money to cancel. (The date for a refund has come and gone)

Here is the trouble: My husband lost his job three weeks ago and is currently getting jobless benefits while he looks for work. In the District of Columbia, where he is collecting jobless benefits from, he has to log on and submit his benefits claim once a week. If he logs on and submits his jobless benefits from a computer on the ship or at a Internet Cafe in Europe they will see that the IP address is out of the country. If he calls in his claim from overseas they will track the Caller ID and that will cause trouble. It is against the law to have a friend or relative submit his claim for him while we are traveling.

He will be sending out resumes from the Cruise Ships computers nearly every day but of course will not be eligible for work while he is gone. If he is completely honest they will likely suspend his jobless benefits until a hearing examiner can meet with him and I understand they are booked for months and in the mean time there will be no checks coming in.

We looked into going down to the offices and tell them about the situation but looking into it further we found that if he does not submit his claim in a timely manner his unemployment benefits will be stopped until he sees a hearing examiner which could be 2-3 months.

What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 07:10 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,825,468 times
Very simple, have him submit that he is unemployed but not available for work that week. I did this when I lost my job before a prepaid trip a few years back, no problem, I just didn't get a check that week. The following week I claimed again and stated that I was available for work, I just missed the one week of benefits that I didn't claim.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:19 AM

Default It is not that easy!

Thanks for the advice but it would not be that easy. My husband and I looked into it and found that if he did not claim benefits while he was away his jobless benefits would be suspended until he meets with a hearing examiner. They fired so many people at the unemployment office due to budget cutbacks that the hearing examiner is booked for up to 8 weeks. During that period my husband would not get any jobless benefits.

My orginal posting is more or less a caution to readers that have a similar situation. If you stop collecting benfits for any reason it is lots of work to get them back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Very simple, have him submit that he is unemployed but not available for work that week. I did this when I lost my job before a prepaid trip a few years back, no problem, I just didn't get a check that week. The following week I claimed again and stated that I was available for work, I just missed the one week of benefits that I didn't claim.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:26 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,646,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturally Curious View Post
Two months ago my husband and I planned and paid for a trip of a lifetime to Europe. We will be going on a cruise out of Venice Italy and seeing the Greek Islands. The airfare and cruise was all paid for and now it would cost us lots of money to cancel. (The date for a refund has come and gone)

Here is the trouble: My husband lost his job three weeks ago and is currently getting jobless benefits while he looks for work. In the District of Columbia, where he is collecting jobless benefits from, he has to log on and submit his benefits claim once a week. If he logs on and submits his jobless benefits from a computer on the ship or at a Internet Cafe in Europe they will see that the IP address is out of the country. If he calls in his claim from overseas they will track the Caller ID and that will cause trouble. It is against the law to have a friend or relative submit his claim for him while we are traveling.

He will be sending out resumes from the Cruise Ships computers nearly every day but of course will not be eligible for work while he is gone. If he is completely honest they will likely suspend his jobless benefits until a hearing examiner can meet with him and I understand they are booked for months and in the mean time there will be no checks coming in.

We looked into going down to the offices and tell them about the situation but looking into it further we found that if he does not submit his claim in a timely manner his unemployment benefits will be stopped until he sees a hearing examiner which could be 2-3 months.

What would you do?
OK.
I'm very happy that you are a honest person that going by the book, and not going to use proxies that can show that you are claiming from USA while traveling abroad.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:01 AM

878 posts, read 1,647,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturally Curious View Post
Thanks for the advice but it would not be that easy.
It was that easy in Georgia.

There your claim wasn't suspended unless you didn't certify for TWO weeks. You could skip a week, take your vacation and then continue to certify the next week.

Or you could do what others do which is simply break the law and have a friend in the USA claim while you are gone or use other methods.

You are supposed to be ready and able to work while on unemployment... and being on a cruise in Europe isn't being ready and able to work.

It's all good as long as you don't get caught right? LOL

Old 04-22-2012, 02:23 PM

So what should we do, cancel our trip and lose the $4000 in value we already paid and can't get back?

(If we go and claim we are not available for work we get no checks until a hearing examiner talks to my husband in 8 weeks and then who knows what she will decide.

It is a damed if you do and damed if you don't situation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
It was that easy in Georgia.

There your claim wasn't suspended unless you didn't certify for TWO weeks. You could skip a week, take your vacation and then continue to certify the next week.

Or you could do what others do which is simply break the law and have a friend in the USA claim while you are gone or use other methods.

You are supposed to be ready and able to work while on unemployment... and being on a cruise in Europe isn't being ready and able to work.

It's all good as long as you don't get caught right? LOL

Old 04-22-2012, 04:31 PM

25,593 posts, read 56,262,852 times
If your husband was only discharged three weeks ago, he should have delayed applying for unemployment benefits until you had returned from your trip. I am aware that observation is of no help, now.

So, your choices are:
  1. Illegally have someone here claim for you - because you will be caught if you claim from out of the country.
  2. Do the right thing, plan for 8-10 weeks without benefits, and reopen the claim when you return.
Do you not have sufficient cash reserves to go without UE for two months? If you could afford this trip, surely you must have cash in the bank or lines of credit you can use until the benefits resume?

Last edited by Ariadne22; 04-22-2012 at 04:39 PM..

Old 04-22-2012, 06:49 PM

19 posts, read 55,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
because you will be caught if you claim from out of the country.
I guess you have never heard of Tor.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:08 PM

25,593 posts, read 56,262,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothesayer9 View Post
I guess you have never heard of Tor.
Clearly, you haven't read OP's posts - seeing as how she said this:
Quote:
If he logs on and submits his jobless benefits from a computer on the ship or at a Internet Cafe in Europe
So, you suggest that they to load TOR onto a public computer on ship or abroad? According to you, any old novice should be able to do this anywhere and anyplace.

https://www.torproject.org/about/overview.html.en

The rules are the rules. That said, it's on OP if she/hubby decide to circumvent them by whichever means they choose.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 04-22-2012 at 07:20 PM..

Old 04-22-2012, 07:41 PM

Tor sounds interesting but we have looked into another option:

Caller ID Masking using Caller ID spoofing.

My husband can apply for his weekly unemployment benefits via the phone from Europe, so we can call an access number in America from a European phone and through Caller ID Spoofing we can trick the person receiving the call to believe they are getting the phone call from any telephone number we choose. So the folks at the unemployment office will believe my husband is calling from home.

Here is more information on Caller ID Spoofing:

Caller ID spoofing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment