Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2015, 08:46 AM

8 posts, read 21,374 times

Advertisements

My husband and I were both laid off around the same time and were approved for CA benefits. Because we can't find good work here, we're temporarily going to be staying in NC with my parents while mapping a plan to move to GA and looking for work in GA where cost of living is drastically lower and the work ops are better. Some of our possible job leads are in the NC area and won't matter where we live to work. For example...We both have interviews the day after we get into NC. And that's for work we can do in GA. My NC address is going to be temporary / not as a resident of NC since we're not really staying there and will be hunting for a new place to live in GA about 3 weeks after we leave CA. But not knowing when we'll find a place and be able to move in to get official GA residency... what will happen with our CA claim? They'll have to see 2 address changes. One is non resident but how will they know that? And one will be a perm change. I've heard from someone else who made this similar transition, that he got into trouble collecting CA while living in GA once we started working for GA employers... jobs small enough to not cancel his UE money each week.

I don't think that will be a problem for my husband because once he starts work it should be full time and he'd be going off UE. But for me... the last week of every month I get 1099 royalties for books sold by Amazon. The work was done in CA but payments would be during times of living in NC or GA. How will they look at that? My next W2 job starts in Sept. that I know of unless I find someone else sooner.

Thanks for any advice you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 11:48 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessJess91 View Post
My husband and I were both laid off around the same time and were approved for CA benefits.

My NC address is going to be temporary / not as a resident of NC since we're not really staying there and will be hunting for a new place to live in GA about 3 weeks after we leave CA.

But not knowing when we'll find a place and be able to move in to get official GA residency... what will happen with our CA claim? They'll have to see 2 address changes. One is non resident but how will they know that? And one will be a perm change.
It doesn't matter if you're a nonresident. Provide CA with address changes as they occur, in the event they need to reach you by mail. Mail from EDD is not supposed to be forwarded, so problems do occur for people moving and not getting their mail. If you have one address on which you can depend, like your parents, use that until you are permanently settled.

Quote:
I've heard from someone else who made this similar transition, that he got into trouble collecting CA while living in GA once we started working for GA employers... jobs small enough to not cancel his UE money each week.
What happened is CA deducted 75% of his gross earnings from his benefit. In his case, 75% of his gross earnings exceeded his benefit. In those cases, CA will close the claim. All he needed to do was call CA to reopen.

Quote:
But for me... the last week of every month I get 1099 royalties for books sold by Amazon. The work was done in CA but payments would be during times of living in NC or GA. How will they look at that?
Any monies you receive for sales which occurred BEFORE your layoff do not need to be reported. If you continue to receive royalties, report this money the week it is received. If this money results in nonpayment of benefits for that week, you will need to call CA to reopen the claim.

Use suggestions on last page or two of this thread to get through. Usually, 5-1-1-0 works:

Tips for getting through to a live body @ California EDD

Old 06-23-2015, 01:09 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,075,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
If you continue to receive royalties, report this money the week it is received.
I think this needs more research. Royalties are for work performed in the past, and it just doesn't comport with work for remuneration. No more work was done to generate the income. The income was based on how the past work (finished product) was used.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:18 PM

I found it Total and Partial Unemployment TPU 460.6 - Remumeration for Past or Future Services. To me, this makes it pretty clear that royalities are NOT reportable and will not offset UI benefits.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:43 PM

Chyvan, you are correct. I was conflating the case of residuals meeting part of the Sec 1277 requirement on a requalifying claim. Royalties are not the same. Ergo, she doesn't have to report royalties.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 06-23-2015 at 03:26 PM..

Old 06-23-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
the case of residuals
At first, I almost made that mistake too, and then thought it was worthy of some digging. The thing that was amazing is that I found it in the determination guide. I thought I'd have to find some obscure court decision.

Old 06-23-2015, 03:00 PM

8 posts, read 21,374 times
You know... I wondered why my first week of reporting royalties they paid me anyway! And maybe that's why. I must not have had to put it on there. Historically when I've gotten movie residuals (which normally go through the W2 process) they HAVE deducted from my UE money. But this time, being amazon royalties, they didn't. I guess that's the difference...They look at residuals different from royalties.

Last edited by JessJess91; 06-23-2015 at 03:17 PM..

Old 06-23-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I guess that's the difference...They look at residuals different from royalties.
They do. Read that link Chyvan posted. It is very clear. Both royalties and residuals are discussed - separately.

Fyi, the CA UIBDG is a really great resource. The search feature will find just about anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment