U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 11:37 PM

8 posts, read 17,971 times

Advertisements

I found the following at:

Office of Unemployment Insurance, Employment & Training Administration (ETA) - U.S. Department of Labor

It appears to state that, while the new trigger goes into effect with the week ending June 2, 2012, claimants may move from tier 2 to 3 in Massachusetts (and other states) as late as the week ending June 23, 2012. This is indeed a 3 week lag time.

Am I reading this information correctly? Is the actual trigger off date later than the legislation indicates?

States that will be below the rate necessary to remain on in Tier 3 under the new 7% trigger threshold are: DE, HI, KS, MD, MA, MT, WV, and WI. These states will have an "off" indicator in EUC Tier 3 with the week ending June 2, 2012. The week ending June 23, 2012 will be the last week in which EUC claimants in those states could exhaust Tier 2 and establish eligibility in Tier 3. Under the phase-out provisions, claimants could receive any remaining entitlement they have in Tier 3 after June 23, 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 12:02 AM

4,170 posts, read 4,773,880 times
It appears that way, but I don't think that US DOL information was posted until Monday, 5/21. I looked there Saturday, and that announcement wasn't there. In the past, there was an indication there was a lag until the official trigger off dates, but because the law was so specific about "weeks of unemployment after 5/31" no one could have said with any certainty if the lag would be maintained.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:58 PM

8 posts, read 17,971 times
Massachusetts DUI WEB site updated on Monday to confirm June 23, 2012 as final date to move between Tier 2 and Tier 3.

Details at:

Overview of Latest Extension Benefits - Labor and Workforce Development - Mass.Gov

Old 05-30-2012, 05:42 AM

24 posts, read 44,359 times
I am totally confused. Does this mean because my last date in Tier 2 is week ending June 2, I get to collect all of my Tier 3, 3 weeks of Tier 3 or none on Tier 3?

Should I just keep claiming after June 2 or should I call them? My balance went to "0" after Tier 1 ended and I called them, but I have seen it mentioned you do nor have to call them between Tiers. Just keep filing.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:35 PM

14,380 posts, read 19,160,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob R View Post
I am totally confused. Does this mean because my last date in Tier 2 is week ending June 2, I get to collect all of my Tier 3, 3 weeks of Tier 3 or none on Tier 3?

Should I just keep claiming after June 2 or should I call them? My balance went to "0" after Tier 1 ended and I called them, but I have seen it mentioned you do nor have to call them between Tiers. Just keep filing.
Posting, yet again, the BLS announcement. It is VERY CLEAR. You have until 6/23 to exhaust Tier II, establish eligibility for Tier III, and collect ALL of Tier 3.

Quote:
  • States that will be below the rate necessary to remain on in Tier 3 under the new 7% trigger threshold are: DE, HI, KS, MD, MA, MT, WV, and WI. These states will have an "off" indicator in EUC Tier 3 with the week ending June 2, 2012. The week ending June 23, 2012 will be the last week in which EUC claimants in those states could exhaust Tier 2 and establish eligibility in Tier 3. Under the phase-out provisions, claimants could receive any remaining entitlement they have in Tier 3 after June 23, 2012.
Office of Unemployment Insurance, Employment & Training Administration (ETA) - U.S. Department of Labor

Old 05-30-2012, 01:51 PM

Thanks for the clarification. At the beginning of this thread, it appeared I was losing Tier 3 according to the the answers I got. Now I see this and it's a total turn around of what I was expecting.

I have a hard enough time trying to find a job in this "Hope and Change" era of a world. Never mind deciphering the double speak they come out with.

Ladies and gentlemen...I come before you to stand behind you to tell you something I know nothing about. We the willing, hired by the incompetent to do the unnecessary for the ungrateful, have done so much for so long for so many, with so little, we are now qualified to do just about anything with nothing.........That's what their jargon sounds like to me.

Glad someone understands it.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:14 AM

According to the Labor and Workforce Development web site, one has until June 17 to qualify for Tier 3 in MA. Anyone already receiving Tier 3 can receive benefits until the end of December 2012. Being this is my last week on Tier 2, looks like I made it under the wire by a couple of weeks and will be able to receive all of Tier 3.

http://www.mass.gov/lwd/unemployment-insur/

Last edited by Bob R; 06-03-2012 at 07:23 AM..

Old 06-03-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
According to the Labor and Workforce Development web site, one has until June 17 to qualify for Tier 3 in MA. Anyone already receiving Tier 3 can receive benefits until the end of December 2012. Being this is my last week on Tier 2, looks like I made it under the wire by a couple of weeks and will be able to receive all of Tier 3.

Unemployment Insurance - Labor and Workforce Development - Mass.Gov
Per BLS one can exhaust Tier 2 on June 23 and remain eligible for Tier III.
Quote:
States that will be below the rate necessary to remain on in Tier 3 under the new 7% trigger threshold are: DE, HI, KS, MD, MA, MT, WV, and WI. These states will have an "off" indicator in EUC Tier 3 with the week ending June 2, 2012. The week ending June 23, 2012 will be the last week in which EUC claimants in those states could exhaust Tier 2 and establish eligibility in Tier 3. Under the phase-out provisions, claimants could receive any remaining entitlement they have in Tier 3 after June 23, 2012.

Exhausting on 6/23 gives eligibility as it exists on 6/17, so if that is what MA means, they are correct. If, instead, they mean final exhaust date is 6/16 and begin on 6/17, they are WRONG. Confusing language on this page, as well, as it says BEFORE week ending 6/23, and that is WRONG.

Overview of Latest Extension Benefits - Labor and Workforce Development - Mass.Gov

HI has the similar, more specific, misinformation on its website. BLS has been notified by a HI recipient. BLS says it will have its regional office contact HI about the ERROR.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:24 PM

Well I'd be willing to contact BLS if I knew how. Is there a phone number or email address I can use?

Old 06-03-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Well I'd be willing to contact BLS if I knew how. Is there a phone number or email address I can use?
Gibbons.Scott@dol.gov
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment