Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 07:02 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
It's insurance. You regularly pay the premiums in case you need to use it ... like when you are unemployed.
Incorrect. Only a very few states deduct a very tiny amount from an employee's wages for UI tax - nowhere near enough to pay even a month's benefits, much less 26 weeks.

Quote:
What's a disincentive about UI benefits is that as soon as someone tries to supplement income by taking p/t or odd jobs, UI benefits end.
Incorrect. Benefits do not end by working part-time. Every state allows claimants to work part-time. In PA, you can keep up to 40% of your benefit in wages AND collect a full benefit. In CA, you can keep 25% of what you earn. Your benefits are reduced by the remaining 75%. In NJ, your WBA is grossed up 20% and earnings are deducted from that. And, on and on and on. Each state has its own formula.

Quote:
What's a disincentive about UI benefits is that as soon as someone .....go back to school to get training, UI benefits end.
Incorrect. It is possible to go to school (college and night school) AND collect full UE benefits in most states. There are also approved training courses that qualify for UE which one can enroll in through the state. Ever hear of ABT, CAT, SEAP? Just one state's list of "collecting UE while training" programs, here:

www.esd.wa.gov/uibenefits/specialservices/training/training-programs.php

You clearly know nothing about unemployment benefits.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 05-06-2012 at 07:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 07:18 PM

878 posts, read 1,653,189 times
Quote:
It's insurance. You regularly pay the premiums in case you need to use it ... like when you are unemployed.
As I said, you don't pay the premiums. Employers do. I've never once had a single penny deducted from my pay for a UI tax in all the years I've worked as a resident of New York, Tennessee, Georgia, and Washington.

Why? Because it's a tax paid by employers.

Why Don’t Employees Pay for Unemployment Insurance? | Tough Money Love

The unemployment insurance system is jointly operated by the state and federal governments. It is financed by state and federal payroll taxes. Under the Federal Unemployment Tax Act (FUTA), the federal tax rate is 6.2% of taxable wages applied to the first $7,000 of income. Most of the federal payroll tax can be offset by state unemployment taxes, which vary from state to state, as do the benefits. All of the state and federal unemployment insurance payroll taxes are paid by the employer.

And to further reinforce my statements....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Incorrect. Only a very few states deduct a very tiny amount for an employee's wages for UI tax - nowhere near enough to pay even a month's benefits, much less 26 weeks.

Incorrect. Benefits do not end by working part-time. Every state allows claimants to work part-time. In PA, you can keep up to 40% of your benefit in wages AND collect a full benefit. In CA, you can keep 25% of what you earn. Your benefits are reduced by the remaining 75%. In NJ, your WBA is grossed up 20% and earnings are deducted from that. And, on and on and on. Each state has its own formula.

Incorrect. It is possible to go to school (college and night school) AND collect full UE benefits in most states. There are approved training courses that qualify for UE which one can enroll in through the state. Ever hear of ABT, CAT, SEAP: Just one state's list of programs, here:

www.esd.wa.gov/uibenefits/specialservices/training/training-programs.php

You clearly know nothing about unemployment benefits.
Yeah he's just a bit misinformed.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:32 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,445 times
Most people look like crazy, they just can't find anything. My benefits ran out nearly a year ago and I just found a position...part-time. And I am happy to get it.

Last month I visited family in a state that supposedly has better jobs and tried to follow up on things I'd applied to, to no avail. At least a recruiter did return my call, though, which is more than I can say for a lot of places.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:06 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Actually a relocation subsidy would be useful. We have very low unemployment and a lot of "help wanted" signs up near where I live in Northern VA. For example I was at my vet's office this week and saw they're looking for assistants. Our state unemployment rate is 5 or 6% and in this part of the state more like 2-3%. I doubt anyone here with a college degree is unemployed. COL is comparable and taxes are lower than in CA. This should be The Promised Land for the unemployed or underemployed. It's pretty easy finding a job around here.
And what are the salaries of those "help wanted" positions? There is no point in people relocating to a new place if they need to be able to pay rent, groceries, utilities, car insurance, etc for an $8 an hour job.

Then they end up needing assistance in the form of food stamps and other programs.

The only people that should relocate for work are for positions that are going to pay them enough so they're self sufficient.

And that doesn't include stores that put up "help wanted signs".

And if everyone who needed a job flooded Northern VA then you have other issues that pop up, so as those bringing children with them and needing schools.

Look at what happened to Baton Rouge after Katrina, they became overwhelmed because the population increased too fast.

Look at North Dakota, there is a housing shortage and the cost of everything has skyrocketed. I'm sure the locals are thrilled with that.

Do you want that in Northern VA?

Old 05-06-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
And what are the salaries of those "help wanted" positions? There is no point in people relocating to a new place if they need to be able to pay rent, groceries, utilities, car insurance, etc for an $8 an hour job.

Then they end up needing assistance in the form of food stamps and other programs.

The only people that should relocate for work are for positions that are going to pay them enough so they're self sufficient.
Yep... that's the only reason I relocated from Georgia to Washington. I knew the pay was going to be enough where I could make a living.

I'd have never considered moving here for an $8 an hour job... which coincidentally was the last job offer I received in Georgia prior to leaving the state. That's how it is in southeast Georgia... low COL and high poverty means jobs that don't pay anything. Now I live in a high COL area although I haven't noticed any difference other than the price of housing which is 3 times higher here... not buying right now though so it isn't a concern.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:58 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
This goes with the thread. I do warn you, there are some sad stories.

California's Long-Term Unemployed Brace For Sudden End Of Benefits

Old 05-07-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
This goes with the thread. I do warn you, there are some sad stories.

California's Long-Term Unemployed Brace For Sudden End Of Benefits
Yes indeed... sad stories... and I know the feeling.

When I found my job last year I was roughly $800 behind in bills and had $20 in the bank. I'd have never moved from Georgia to Washington if I could have found something even remotely close to home, but there was nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment