U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-08-2012, 10:25 AM
 
26 posts, read 47,633 times
Reputation: 32

Advertisements

Hello, I have been out looking for jobs and dropping of resumes. I am in Washington state. If I drop off a resume and they say they are not hiring at this time, is that a suitable job search? This has been bugging me as how do I know if they are hiring if I don't go in?
Thank you, Kay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-08-2012, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
879 posts, read 385,519 times
Reputation: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlia Lover View Post
Hello, I have been out looking for jobs and dropping of resumes. I am in Washington state. If I drop off a resume and they say they are not hiring at this time, is that a suitable job search? This has been bugging me as how do I know if they are hiring if I don't go in?
Thank you, Kay
I would say yes, it's a suitable job search.

You turned in a resume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2012, 04:31 PM
 
Location: home state of Myrtle Beach!
5,561 posts, read 10,603,368 times
Reputation: 2663
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
I would say yes, it's a suitable job search.

You turned in a resume.
and I agree! OP you can't help it if they aren't hiring but it is suitable to put that on your job search records for UE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2012, 08:47 PM
 
Location: East of Seattle, originally from SF Bay Area
14,780 posts, read 18,084,357 times
Reputation: 10321
That won't work in this state. I used to get people coming in and asking me that and later got calls from the UE office verifying that I had interviewed them. Of course I never even had a name and did not interview anyone if I had no openings and told them so. I would not accept a resume if I was not hiring. You are supposed to be trying to find a new job to get off of UE, not do the minimum to stay on it until the benefit is used up and then get serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2012, 09:13 PM
 
26 posts, read 47,633 times
Reputation: 32
Hemlock, Do you not think I am trying to find a job. I am working my but off to find one. I am Doing much more then "the minimum". If someone would not take my resume, of course I wouldn't be stupid and put them down as a job search. If I could only list the posibilities where I had interviews I would never qualify as I have not had 1 interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2012, 09:27 PM
 
8,063 posts, read 8,661,670 times
Reputation: 11361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That won't work in this state. I used to get people coming in and asking me that and later got calls from the UE office verifying that I had interviewed them. Of course I never even had a name and did not interview anyone if I had no openings and told them so. I would not accept a resume if I was not hiring. You are supposed to be trying to find a new job to get off of UE, not do the minimum to stay on it until the benefit is used up and then get serious.
That doesn't make a lot of sense. Who would go into a business and then tell Unemployment they interviewed when they didn't. They would be setting themselves up for getting their benefits stopped.

If that did happen, then there was most lilkely some type of communication breakdown where maybe the applicant listed your company as a place they tried to applied to but didn't get anywhere. I find it hard to believe that someone would say they interviewed at a company and give that phone number to Unemployment.

I can't imagine that WA is that different than other states. The OP should be able to apply online for positions and just list them.

All they can do is apply, they can't force an interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2012, 09:34 PM
 
Location: home state of Myrtle Beach!
5,561 posts, read 10,603,368 times
Reputation: 2663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That won't work in this state. I used to get people coming in and asking me that and later got calls from the UE office verifying that I had interviewed them. Of course I never even had a name and did not interview anyone if I had no openings and told them so. I would not accept a resume if I was not hiring. You are supposed to be trying to find a new job to get off of UE, not do the minimum to stay on it until the benefit is used up and then get serious.
Walking into a business and asking if they are hiring and being told "NO" most certainly does qualify as an acceptable job search contact. You don't have to actually make contact, or be interviewed. You've obviously never been unemployed.

The correct answer if/when UE contacts you to ask about people contacting you is that, yes you get potential applicants coming in all the time but you've never interviewed anyone because you have no positions open and you don't keep the applicant's names.

Last edited by myrc60; 05-08-2012 at 10:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2012, 06:16 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
879 posts, read 385,519 times
Reputation: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That won't work in this state. I used to get people coming in and asking me that and later got calls from the UE office verifying that I had interviewed them. Of course I never even had a name and did not interview anyone if I had no openings and told them so. I would not accept a resume if I was not hiring. You are supposed to be trying to find a new job to get off of UE, not do the minimum to stay on it until the benefit is used up and then get serious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
That doesn't make a lot of sense. Who would go into a business and then tell Unemployment they interviewed when they didn't. They would be setting themselves up for getting their benefits stopped.

I can't imagine that WA is that different than other states. The OP should be able to apply online for positions and just list them.

All they can do is apply, they can't force an interview.
Exactly... sending a resume to a potential employer or filling out an application is an acceptable job search...whether or not they are actually hiring is irrelevant.

Back when I was a Georgia resident and unemployed I sent out several hundred resumes and online applications and they all added up to exactly 3 job interviews over a span of 14 months. It didn't mean I wasn't searching and the state of Georgia agreed when I listed all the jobs on my work search forms. I never did fine a job in that state... but did find one in Washington. The day I emailed my resume I got a call back and was hired a few days later. I only wish I had looked out of state sooner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Walking into a business and asking if they are hiring and being told "NO" most certainly does qualify as an acceptable job search contact. You don't have to actually make contact, or be interviewed.
Yes I would think so too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2012, 07:10 AM
 
Location: East of Seattle, originally from SF Bay Area
14,780 posts, read 18,084,357 times
Reputation: 10321
This from the WA state unemployment office: You must keep a log of all of your job-search activities. We may contact you or your employer contacts to review your job search efforts.

Stopping by and asking if there are any openings may not be acceptable if the employer can't verify it. Though you could luck out, it would be better to apply at places that have advertised openings and get into their system so that if UE calls they can verify the contact.



Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2012, 07:26 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
879 posts, read 385,519 times
Reputation: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
This from the WA state unemployment office: You must keep a log of all of your job-search activities. We may contact you or your employer contacts to review your job search efforts.

Stopping by and asking if there are any openings may not be acceptable if the employer can't verify it. Though you could luck out, it would be better to apply at places that have advertised openings and get into their system so that if UE calls they can verify the contact.
I applied anywhere and everywhere... advertised opening or not.

I kept copies of online applications that I filled out... when I emailed a resume I kept a copy of the email. I never had any issues... had they verified with me, I had the proof. Had they verified with the employer, regardless of what the employer said, I still had the proof.

I can't speak for anyone else but for me I did 100% of my job applications and resumes via email and fax. Call it lazy or whatever, but with gas prices the way they are combined with Georgia's miserable $330 maximum UI benefit (WA's is $580+) I wasn't about to spend tons of money driving around going door to door filling out job applications.

At any rate, it worked... I got the job in WA via an email resume and an eventual phone interview while in my living room dressed in boxer shorts. Never left the house until I had to go take the drug test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top