U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 05-12-2012, 09:38 PM

8 posts, read 87,637 times
Default EUC/REA Orientation?

Has anyone attended this Orientation? How was it? Can you tell me anything about it? How long before the Orientation did you receive the invitation?

Federal law now requires UI claimants who file for EUC Tier I or transition into Tier II to attend a scheduled EUC/REA Orientation. These individuals will receive a letter with the following information.
<LI class=style94>Orientation date, time and location will be indicated on EUC/REA letter mailed to the claimant.<LI class=style94>Instructions to complete and submit work search log at the orientation.<LI class=style94>Instructions to complete and submit an Eligibility Review Plan (ERP) at the orientation.
This orientation requirement is mandatory. Failure to report to a scheduled EUC/REA Orientation will result in an interruption in your unemployment insurance benefits payments.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-13-2012, 12:02 AM

93 posts, read 310,912 times
I have not attended one, but I've done some research on it. These are the four different segments that need to be covered, described in an official memo:

The reemployment services and in-person reemployment and eligibility assessments required by Section 4001(i)(2)(A) of the EUC Act, as amended, are:
1) The provision of labor market and career information;
2) An assessment of the skills of the individual;
3) Orientation to the services available through the One-Stop Centers established
under Title I of WIA; and
4) A review of the eligibility of the individual for EUC relating to the job search
activities of the individual.

I don't know what state you're in, but in CA where I am (I found a memo online from the federal Dept. of Labor to the CA unemployment dept.) it said that part of these requirements could be completed online, but that the job search eligibility would be in person, so that someone can look at your most recent (like 2 week period) log and making sure that it's filled out correctly. The notifications were supposed to adhere to a strict time schedule...notification was supposed to begin within 3 weeks of when someone started tier one or two on or after March 23 (so around early April), with the appointments to take place no more than 3 weeks later (by the time the person is in their 6th week of the tier). However, the CA memo stated that for us, the notifications were going to be delayed until mid to late May, with meetings scheduled through December. CA has about 600,000 people to schedule for this thing, so it's going to be quite the headache, I imagine.

Unread 05-13-2012, 06:09 PM

That's very helpful thank you! I was wondering if it was helpful at all to job seekers in terms of them offering concrete job search help to us, job leads or retraining, but it seems that it's just a way for them to keep tab on job seekers. I appreciate your help.

Unread 05-13-2012, 06:52 PM

I found this, very helpful:
Notice to EUC recipients

Unread 05-14-2012, 01:53 AM

You're welcome, and thanks for your link as well!

Unread 05-14-2012, 06:00 PM

189 posts, read 496,286 times
I know someone who went through it last year. They were given about 10 days notice and told they couldn't reschedule. Though they had to wait a while to finally get in to their appointment, they said it was very easy. They look over your job search record and then give you information about job search sites, schooling, benefits, etc. You can also ask them questions. The actual interview was very short and informal. As long as you've done at least six job contacts (3 a week) and you filled out that backside of the form correctly, you will be fine from what I've heard. I am up for this interview soon according to their schedule.

Unread 05-14-2012, 11:08 PM

4,404 posts, read 3,794,857 times
I went through it about a year ago as well, although a slightly different requirement, as I was still in the regular 26 week claim (my first one) and was told I was randomly chosen. I went in to the office in slacks and a blazer, brought a resume and a filled out work search record. In and out in 5 minutes with the guy telling me that I was in good shape and there really wasn't any advice he could give me. In a way I expected more from people who make their livings telling people how to find jobs, LOL

Unread 06-21-2012, 06:08 PM

34 posts, read 83,488 times
Does this also mean that once you go to the REA meeting when you transition to Tier 1, you also have to go to a meeting when you transition to Tier 2? It seemed that this was the way my letter read the new requirement. Just wondering.

Unread 06-22-2012, 07:53 PM

31,158 posts, read 18,731,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Tpring View Post
Does this also mean that once you go to the REA meeting when you transition to Tier 1, you also have to go to a meeting when you transition to Tier 2? It seemed that this was the way my letter read the new requirement. Just wondering.

Yes you have to go to a REA meeting about a month after you start Tier 1.

Unread 06-23-2012, 12:48 AM

In a letter from the department of labor describing the new requirements, it states that you do NOT have to attend again during tier 2 if you already attended during tier 1:

Individuals receiving RES/REA as they enter EUC First Tier on or after March 23, 2012 are not required to receive these services a second time if and when they augment to EUC Second Tier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment