Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2012, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 6,440 times

Advertisements

Regarding California unemployment benefits, can you refuse a temporary job through a temp agency if you are pursuing permanent employment and have interviews lined up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 12:14 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,064,506 times
You can refuse temp work, but not because you have interviews lined up. You have to be more creative in your reasoning.

First off, if you're looking for permanent work, why did you even apply to the temp agency. That's a potential problem right there.

Second, you don't have to take temp work when it doesn't pay a prevailing wage for the type of work required, so you need to know the market rate for the work you'd be doing before you can refuse it. Also, in a refusal of work situation, you have to bring up all the factors that make it unsuitable. So if you're a secretary and most secretarial jobs come with benefits, the fact that the temp job is $10/hr with no benefits, it can be made unsuitable when you raise the issue of there being no benefits when most all the other secretarial jobs in town have benefits.

Do yourself a favor and only apply for jobs you want. Don't apply just so you can fill out that work search log. The odds of getting a work search audit are pretty low (except it seems in WA). However, having to go through a refusal of work investigation is no picnic. While easier than a "quit," it's just best to not put yourself in that position to begin with.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:01 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,391,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah's Sister View Post
Regarding California unemployment benefits, can you refuse a temporary job through a temp agency if you are pursuing permanent employment and have interviews lined up?
I wouldn't recommend doing so.

If you are using temp work to help extend benefits, I would either restrict tor availability with the temp agency or schedule permanent interviews outside of the hours you are working the temp job. Having a candidate say they can't come in at a certain time because they are working shouldn't put off an employer as they should be looking for people with a work ethic and i'm not sure you want to work for the company that isn't willing to schedule around work.

But refusing a temp job IS refusing work.

as Chyvan mentioned it is possibly defensible, but it is a lot of stress to add to an already stressful situation.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:01 PM

241 posts, read 1,019,947 times
Yeah temp jobs are just that, temporary jobs that pay very little, peanuts if you will. 8 bucks an hour and no benefits. Do not put that you refuse any work on your weekly/bi claim form. You will only create problems for yourself if u do.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:41 PM

189 posts, read 966,689 times
I would tell the temp agency that you have interviews set up at such and such time and see if they can work around that. I've never had a problem with telling an agency that I have an interview at certain times or dates. Likewise, if you know you're going to be working, you can maybe work around a different time for an interview around your job.

I wouldn't pass up something definite (even if it's temporary) for something that's a "maybe". I've been through the refusal of work process and it's very unpleasant. In my case, the interviewer yelled and talked over me and wouldn't let me defend myself.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:35 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertdarlene View Post
I would tell the temp agency that you have interviews set up at such and such time and see if they can work around that. I've never had a problem with telling an agency that I have an interview at certain times or dates. Likewise, if you know you're going to be working, you can maybe work around a different time for an interview around your job.

I wouldn't pass up something definite (even if it's temporary) for something that's a "maybe". I've been through the refusal of work process and it's very unpleasant. In my case, the interviewer yelled and talked over me and wouldn't let me defend myself.
If the OP starts an assignment the temp agency doesn't want to hear about job interivews, a sick child, a car problem, etc. They want the temp to be at the job site on time and ready to go.

You can't say to the agency or the company you have been sent to "oh I need to leave at 2pm for a job interview", or even lie and say it is a doctor's appt. The only time that might work is if the temp has been on assignment for several months and has proven themselves and developed a relationship with the company they're working out.

But under normal circumstances a temp has no flexibility other than their lunch hour to have time to interview. And that would be difficult to do unless the interiview is in very close proximity to where they're temping.

I agree with Chyvan, stick to trying and find a full time position and only use the temp agencies if the OP is ready to run out of UE benefits.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:11 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
If the OP starts an assignment the temp agency doesn't want to hear about job interivews, a sick child, a car problem, etc. They want the temp to be at the job site on time and ready to go.

You can't say to the agency or the company you have been sent to "oh I need to leave at 2pm for a job interview", or even lie and say it is a doctor's appt. The only time that might work is if the temp has been on assignment for several months and has proven themselves and developed a relationship with the company they're working out.

But under normal circumstances a temp has no flexibility other than their lunch hour to have time to interview. And that would be difficult to do unless the interiview is in very close proximity to where they're temping.

I agree with Chyvan, stick to trying and find a full time position and only use the temp agencies if the OP is ready to run out of UE benefits.

I agree too, no point in accepting a temp job and no longer being able to interview for a full-time opportunity. Like you said one of the benefits of being unemployed is your availability to interview with employers anytime during the week. And unless that temp job is similar to your last job then I see no point in passing up a interview for a full-time job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment