Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 12:56 PM

841 posts, read 1,916,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
What on earth could possibly be "right" about reacting angrily? How do you think you'll feel if, when you get a job, a friend greets the good news angrily because he's still unemployed? Some friend ...
It's a NORMAL reaction of frustration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 01:17 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
I agree. Holidays have been non-existent for the last few months. Let's see, unemployment has ruined my birthday, the anniversary of when we first met 20 years ago, Valentine's Day, our son's birthday, Mother's Day, and now Memorial Day.

People are having fun, enjoying a nice holiday weekend, and we're wrestling again with life issues.

It would be wonderful to have our lives back again.

And, yes, these days are a waste. I'd rather having places open so he can keep applying for jobs. I did a quick search online today and there was nothing new.

Today my husband was just so sad. He said, I can't be washed up at 48.

Yeah I watched the news last night and it was a story of families going to the beach for the weekend and having fun and I had to grab the remote and changed the channel-lol

Old 05-26-2012, 03:09 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalaeon View Post
Nope. She's gushing. It's pissing me off.
That's not right. They have a right to be happy, but knowing your situation should be more low key around you, and say something to you like "soon you will be employed as well", even though those are just words, it's better than gushing around people who are in a bad way.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:17 PM

461 posts, read 911,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
That's not right. They have a right to be happy, but knowing your situation should be more low key around you, and say something to you like "soon you will be employed as well", even though those are just words, it's better than gushing around people who are in a bad way.
It makes me upset because she already has a well paying job (50k a year). She's been incredibly optimistic and supportive for my own job search, and she does know how hard it is for me to find work, she's even offered to help me with mock interviews (I am coming to realize I am a horrible interviewer).

I just feel defeated, thats all.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:46 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
So honesty goes out the window and just to give them great lip service.
I've a defeatist attitude and that's got to change.

SO, for the interview I have on tuesday... I guess I'll be spending my weekend researching the place and trying to come up with the best possible answers.

They are not a shrink. Ditch talking badly about ex employers. Tuesday, you are going on a SALES call, and what you can do for them is the PRODUCT.

Its that simple. Nothing else concerns the customer (the employer) except what benefits the product will give them.

Ditch the attitude, and any bitterness over past employers.

If not, when ui runs out, you will still be unemployed.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:20 PM

878 posts, read 1,652,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post

Ditch the attitude, and any bitterness over past employers.

If not, when ui runs out, you will still be unemployed.
This!!! ^^

I learned this lesson a while ago... when interviewing DO NOT talk bad about previous employers!

Old 05-27-2012, 12:08 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
You can say something negative, just stop at one comment. If you left a job because of a horrible manager or work environment, you CAN say that you left because you couldn't see yourself there long-term. If you never say anything but great things in an interview, you will sound insincere. Just keep the truth mellow and low key, also keep it short, sweet, and to the point.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:48 AM

lol sometimes it's very hard to keep commentary neutral, especially when they want you to go into detail about why you are no longer at the other job. I've tried to keep the reasoning vague but they just keep digging.

Then again a vague answer (to me anyway) sounds like I am hiding something. Just can't seem to win.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:08 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
So honesty goes out the window and just to give them great lip service. I know that sounds bad, but I'm just frustrated. I've been unemployed for 8 months and it's driving me bonkers. I keep fretting when will unemployment run out. Will I find a job before then. Will I eventually lose my home. You know, the typical thoughts I'm sure many of us have.

I guess I am jaded because it was so easy for me to get all the other jobs I have had. I either knew someone to get me in, or the hiring manager asked very basic questions. I've never thought of having to research the company...

I've a defeatist attitude and that's got to change.

SO, for the interview I have on tuesday... I guess I'll be spending my weekend researching the place and trying to come up with the best possible answers.
I'm pretty honest in my application and interviews...maybe that's my problem but no, you don't have to lie, you just find ways to make things about you, not your past employer.

And it is not dishonest to research the company and find out the positives. When you do that, and they ask, "Why do you want to work here?", tell them all of the positives you have heard about the company. It will show them that you have taken an active interest in working there enough to research. You don't have to get all of the information from their company page, either. Some places will have themselves in the news all the time, good news, hopefully.

And, really, wouldn't the positives BE a good reason to work there? Also, don't just regurgitate what you read, try to make it personal. Take the information you found, see if it's something in which you have a skill, any part of it, and use that to answer the question.

"Well, I know that this company does XYZ which has proven to be an asset to the community for ABC reasons. I would like to work here not only because I believe in what this company does but I'm also highly skilled at Z and can be an asset. I have knowledge in X and Y and would be excited to learn more about them" (Or something like that.)

YES! It's...playing the game. Yes, it is. But you can't just go in there and say, "Because I need a job." You will not get the job that way.

And I completely understand the stress...trust me, I get it. I also TOTALLY understand the frustration. I have NEVER had it this hard getting a job. NEVER.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:38 AM

Three Wolves, I've been reading your post on the other board... Is it okay to send you a private message?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment