U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-07-2012, 10:16 PM

24 posts, read 123,377 times

Advertisements

I was fired from my job right after i graduated college (wasn't my career, just a college job) and started collecting unemployment. Now my question is about how the part time unemployment works. I was accepted for a job in my career field, it's entry level but it's the only way to get a job in this career right now with the economy. ( its sort of like a paying internship which results in the employer sending you through full training and then a position with them or someone else)

Right now im reporting it as a part-time job to unemployment because on my last claim i only worked around 15 hours at around minimum wage. My job is gonna start giving more hours, around 40. These hours can vary greatly depending on if it rains because if it does then we don't work. Even if i get a full 40 hours per week this still puts me under my weekly benefit rate. Will i still be able to collect part time unemployment if i work 40 hours but make less than my benefit rate?

If all goes well for me i will be given a full time paying position by next may, or accepted by another Employer for immediate higher level work. So i'm just hoping i can continue to collect part time unemployment until next may when i get a better pay increase.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 11:16 PM

14,420 posts, read 19,330,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suh90 View Post
Even if i get a full 40 hours per week this still puts me under my weekly benefit rate. Will i still be able to collect part time unemployment if i work 40 hours but make less than my benefit rate?
No. 32 hours is the limit. This from NJ:
Quote:
Requirements for Payment
Report Part-Time Earnings

If you are working less than full-time due to your employer's lack of full-time work, you may be able to collect all or part of your unemployment benefits. Less than full-time means that you are not working more than 80% of the usual hours for your occupation (for example, if a 40 hour work week is common in your occupation, you may be able to receive benefits if you work 32 hours or less).

If you find part-time work with a new employer, you must continue to look for full-time work (if your unemployment claim is based on full-time work). If you do not look for full-time work, you may be ineligible for unemployment benefits.

If you find part-time work with a new employer, you must continue to look for full-time work (if your unemployment claim is based on full-time work). If you do not look for full-time work, you may be ineligible for unemployment benefits.

Whether you are working less than full-time or part-time, you must report your weekly gross wages (including tips) when you claim your benefits. Please note that even if pre-existing part-time employment is not used to calculate your monetary, you must declare all earnings for each week of benefits that you claim. Wages must be reported for the week in which they are earned, not when they are paid. The wages you report will be subtracted from your Partial Benefit Rate. The Partial Benefit Rate is 20% higher than your weekly benefit rate. You cannot be paid more than your weekly benefit rate.

For example, if your weekly benefit rate is $200, your Partial Benefit Rate is $240 (20% higher than $200). If you earn $50 during a week, you would receive $190 in unemployment benefits ($240 - $50 = $190).

Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Requirements for Payment <br> Report Part-Time Earnings

Old 06-08-2012, 12:05 AM

Ok thanks for that answer. The only thing is in the online file for unemployment it only asks you for wages made for the two weeks and doesn't ask anything about hours. If you say you've returned to full time work (say in 2 weeks I get over 32 hours) then is you claim gone? What if the following week I go below 32 hours again? Do I have to reopen a claim and go through the whole process?

Old 06-08-2012, 12:14 AM

4,200 posts, read 4,843,702 times
This is the way I see it. The job won't pay more than you're getting on UI, so don't take it until after your stint on unemployment is over. Just look for a job where they won't be asking you to work on the cheap.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:22 PM

Well I filed my claim today, one week was well under 32 hours and one week was a couple hours over 32 hours. I received a message saying you claim is being reviewed. Anybody have experience with this? Will I still get paid for the week I was well under 32 hours or is my claim done? If so how long is the review?

Old 06-24-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Well I filed my claim today, one week was well under 32 hours and one week was a couple hours over 32 hours. I received a message saying you claim is being reviewed. Anybody have experience with this? Will I still get paid for the week I was well under 32 hours or is my claim done? If so how long is the review?
Your claim isn't done. You will get paid for the week under 32 hours. Delay shouldn't be more than a few days. Sunday - not a business day - is a really hard day to be claiming if you are doing anything outside the box. You're going to be getting messages that can't be answered until NJ opens on Monday. NJ may or may not suspend the claim for future claiming because of that week over 32 hours. If the claim is suspended when you next attempt to claim, call them.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:39 PM

Thanks for the informative reply! So if they suspend my claim, I can reopen it in September when my hours get cut below 32 hours and still have it based on the same benefit rate? Of course that's if I don't find full time work by then.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the informative reply! So if they suspend my claim, I can reopen it in September when my hours get cut below 32 hours and still have it based on the same benefit rate?
Yes. Before NJ can reopen the old claim, NJ will need to do a monetary determination to check eligibility for a possible new claim. They will inquire about your earnings since you last claimed going back to when you first opened the claim. They may or may not want paystubs up to the time you reopen the claim. If those new earnings do not qualify you for a new claim, NJ will continue paying you from your current claim. There are other variables such as your bye and possible HR4213 eligibility in the event of a new claim, but, yes, you can continue to claim either on your claim or a new one, if eligible, provided you are laid off and did not quit.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:30 PM

8 posts, read 19,784 times
Default Benefit Year Ending with a Part time job

Hi all,

Sorry for piggy backing this thread but, what can HR4213 eligibility for someone who still works with a part time job while BYE is about to end in end of July?

According to New Jersey Unemployment:
Base week is counted if you earned more than $145 a week.

I was working part time this current base year from Oct to Feb, I worked 9 weeks in my base year but, only 3 weeks where I earned over $145. I am still under the company as a PT employee but, they only schedule per diem. and I haven't worked since Feb.

What steps do I need to take after my BYE is over, do I need to open a new claim knowing I only worked 3 base weeks or just refile and NJ Unemployment will keep extending my extensions from my original claim?

I made a mess of myself for accepting a part time job that pays 11.00 while my wbr is $500 and I just hope I can reinstate my original claim and keep getting $500 a week until the extension tiers ran out.

As same as everyone here, I can't wait to go back working FT and forget about Unemployment Insurance and get back to a normal life.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:36 PM

Part-time work is the exact reason HR4213 was passed.

At your bye, call NJ to recertify. NJ does not do this automatically for you. NJ will do a monetary redetermination. If your part-time earnings create a new claim which pays $100 or 25% less than your previous claim, you have the right to request an HR4213 deferral and continue receiving benefits under your first claim - provided that first claim has a bye after 7/24/2010 and it is the first claim on which you've been receiving EUC.

There shouldn't be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment