Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2012, 11:50 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,576,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
But it is amazing how being broke can make your life simpler
I know! I think I fill my gas tank maybe once a month now!

I got my Tier 2 eligibility letter yesterday granting me 14 more weeks EUC... and then further down it states, in bold, the last week I will be paid EUC is Dec. 29. Make up your mind already!

POTUS just gave a speech in my neck of the woods, imploring Congress to do their part. He's got his pen, he's ready to sign. Dunno. I'm not very hopeful.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:38 PM

25,569 posts, read 56,441,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic_me View Post
I'm just wondering if not getting enough to cover the maximum 26 weeks will be an issue?
No. Don't worry about it.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:43 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,979,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koalabear View Post
No Christmas spending for me while I'm out of work. I consider myself fortunate that I can cover my bills and eat - and the lack of jobs is too scary out there. But it is amazing how being broke can make your life simpler - no worries about long lines or where to shop on Black Friday - stayed home. Cyber Monday shopping? Nope. Actually I am rather proud of myself that I am surviving and hope that when I get a job I will have learned to be frugal and save more. Unemployment has been a life-teaching experience. But really, God - I got the point - time to get back to work please. I will get a big, real Christmas tree though - put my decorations up, bake, watch the Grinch, midnight mass - no tears and no Careerbuilder, Monster or Indeed that day!!

Christmas spending is the last thing that should be on anyone's mind that is unemployed. I;m in the same boat and I can care less about getting someone a gift for Christmas and more focused on paying bills and food.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:36 PM

234 posts, read 686,220 times
its very confusing trying to understand what they mean about extending unemployment benefits. i am figuring they are not adding more weeks just keeping the same policy as this year. does anybody else understand it any better? do you think they would add weeks? i would be shocked.
http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=3164

Old 11-30-2012, 02:44 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,510,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by around1999 View Post
its very confusing trying to understand what they mean about extending unemployment benefits. i am figuring they are not adding more weeks just keeping the same policy as this year. does anybody else understand it any better? do you think they would add weeks? i would be shocked.
The extension applies to federal benefits only. An unemployed person receives state benefits first of up to 26 weeks (some states, less) and the federal benefits kick in when state benefits are exhausted. If legislation isn't extended there will be no federal benefits past 12/29/12.

If an extension is passed it could be the same as before in prior years or totally different. We just don't know!

Old 11-30-2012, 02:57 PM

i know its a state program and federal government has been kicking in the money after 26 weeks. what i am asking is would they be wild enough to put it back at 99 weeks or just lower the standard to qualify for EB. only 1 state gets EB its a hard standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
The extension applies to federal benefits only. An unemployed person receives state benefits first of up to 26 weeks (some states, less) and the federal benefits kick in when state benefits are exhausted. If legislation isn't extended there will be no federal benefits past 12/29/12.

If an extension is passed it could be the same as before in prior years or totally different. We just don't know!

Old 11-30-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
would they be wild enough to put it back at 99 weeks or just lower the standard to qualify for EB. only 1 state gets EB its a hard standard.
What do you think?
  1. The program since December 2011 was designed to phase out EB by summer 2012.
  2. In June it reduced number of states qualifying to pay EUC by instituting/raising UE rate triggers.
  3. In September it reduced number of weeks available under EUC.
The trend and intent is very clear.

Congress is fed up with paying UE benefits. Going on now since 2008. It's too long. Not the fault of the unemployed. Nonetheless, UE is becoming an entrenched entitlement in their view. And we all know what a bad word "entitlements" is these days.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:00 PM

i totally agree and i think the government treated me fair. people like to think we are entitled to all this but the truth is most people collecting this probably never paid this much in tax any way. you can't count SS or medicaid taxes either because that's another thing people pay into and get a lot more back. i would happily take EB if they offer it though next year. i think the 110% number over a 3 month period looking back 3 years is silly it should be a straight unemployment number.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:03 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,510,822 times
Quote:
i know its a state program and federal government has been kicking in the money after 26 weeks. what i am asking is would they be wild enough to put it back at 99 weeks or just lower the standard to qualify for EB. only 1 state gets EB its a hard standard.
My guess is you will not see 99 weeks of benefits again. Just under a year? Maybe, but again, we just don't know. We will have to wait and see what agreement Congress can come to and we are already seeing they don't agree even after all this time.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
i think the 110% number over a 3 month period looking back 3 years is silly it should be a straight unemployment number.
That's Congress' euphemistic way of eliminating the EB program without actually saying so. Which is their INTENT - to stop paying EB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.