U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-09-2012, 05:31 PM

165 posts, read 251,772 times
Hey -- I hope I'm not getting in between anything personal between you guys- like I said before this is a serious information source - which we all really need right now! We are all generally in the same boat. Try to keep it professional please.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:32 PM
FBJ

32,732 posts, read 21,001,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koalabear View Post
If you have been out of work awhile - there are those who discriminate against you if you are unemployed (unfortunate but true). That's why many suggest you volunteer if not employed - at least you are productive member of society. I've even seen job applications online that asked for your currrent employment and wouldn't let you continue without one. If EUC stops - though I think it will extend - but just in case I would try to find anything (nights/weekends) that would leave me a slot of time open during workweek hours for interviewing for a job in my field. If I find something in my field that doesn't pay as much as I used to, I would certainly take it - then go home each night to continue to look for something higher paying. You do what you have to - survival.

Volunteering is not always the way to go for a unemployed person because not only does it take away from seeking employment, you will have to spend money to get to the place you are volunteering at during the week. And unless that volunteer activity has something to do with the field you are in I don't see the point when all your energy can go toward applying, networking, and researching.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:24 PM

165 posts, read 251,772 times
Actually what stopped me is that I was going to volunteer at an animal shelter - but then I thought I would start bringing animals home with me. Seriously, many volunteer at hospitals - but since I had no health insurance I was afraid I would catch something.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:34 PM
FBJ

This is the type of volunteering that makes sense to me.

I had a cousin who was unemployed trying to get another job as an accountant and volunteer to do accounting duties in her spare time which was something to put on the resume.

And since I;m passionate about working as a career counselor I wouldn't volunteer at a animal shelter just so I can say I;m active. It would make more sense for me to volunteer to revise resumes at a homeless shelter computer center which I could add to the resume.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:38 PM

15,706 posts, read 6,164,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
It would make more sense for me to volunteer to revise resumes at a homeless shelter computer center which I could add to the resume.
That volunteer work should be easy to get in Philly, which does have a significant homeless population.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:45 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
That volunteer work should be easy to get in Philly, which does have a significant homeless population.

It is but none of them are in walking distance and would require me to use transportation money to get there taking away money for food.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:48 PM

9 posts, read 12,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Not really true, I still get calls for interviews and my employment end date is dec 2011. So the only way you become less marketable is if you make yourself less marketable from your resume, cover letters, and how you dress.
I get calls too but fact is you nor I are full time employed yet and have stale resume history - equals less attractive to many full time employers. I would have been happy to fill that gap with part time employment experiences (skipping ui claims for those weeks of course) and if done right I might actually be a stronger candidate than ever before.

Last edited by tollst; 12-09-2012 at 06:57 PM..

Old 12-09-2012, 06:59 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tollst View Post
I get calls too but fact is you nor I are full time employed yet and have stale resume history - equals less attractive to many full time employers. I would have been happy to fill that gap with part time employment experiences (skipping ui claims for those weeks of course) and if done right I might actually be a stronger candidate than ever before.

I believe having a online profile with a pleasant photo combined with a pleasant personality will make you employable regardless of how long you been unemployed.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:48 PM

15,706 posts, read 6,164,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tollst;27274985.[B
I would have been happy to fill that gap with part time employment experiences[/b] (skipping ui claims for those weeks of course) and if done right I might actually be a stronger candidate than ever before.
That's a healthy attitude, that no doubt, will come across in interviews.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:58 PM
FBJ

If someone has been employed for 12 of the last 13 years, then no active employment gap will matter. because it will be evident on paper that you are employable and was not a job hopper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment