Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2012, 03:21 AM

11,780 posts, read 5,795,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I don't know many papers that exist anymore and wouldn't waste my time on such an outdated mode of job search. The employment ads in Denver papers are a joke.

Sorry, but I look at all avenues for my job search - papers, internet, employment work center - you never know where a job will be posted.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:57 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drybone View Post
ok thanks

Very confusing.
What's confusing? This whole thread is devoted to the subject you're asking about. Instead of popping to the end of it and asking the original question all over again, go back to the beginning and read. You'll find all you need to know to date.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:13 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,149 times
its an interesting topic because i see both sides.

on one side you dont want people running out of money because they have nothing else and then your talking welfare/food stamps.

on the other side unemployment tends to keep more people dependent on the system and many are not searching for work.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:40 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
its an interesting topic because i see both sides.

on one side you dont want people running out of money because they have nothing else and then your talking welfare/food stamps.

on the other side unemployment tends to keep more people dependent on the system and many are not searching for work.

It doesn't keep you dependent on the system, it allows you to find the right opportunity.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:51 AM

165 posts, read 430,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Sorry, but I look at all avenues for my job search - papers, internet, employment work center - you never know where a job will be posted.
In NJ, there is a website that pulls adds from all local papers online. That way I don't have to buy the papers.

Just found article how my state ui may be over 11 percent. Yipes!70,000 Workers Displaced by Hurricane Sandy in New Jersey: Unemployment Rate May Reach 11%

Hopeful!!! According to the following article from 12/8, Reps and Dems agree to extend fed. UI benefits before end of year - just hashing out how to pay for them/details. Important article: Tis the season for hope for long-term federal jobless benefits - National Unemployment | Examiner.com.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:56 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
It doesn't keep you dependent on the system, it allows you to find the right opportunity.
i would buy that if the numbers werent so high for people still on unemployment after 6 months

Old 12-11-2012, 11:27 AM

11,780 posts, read 5,795,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koalabear View Post
In NJ, there is a website that pulls adds from all local papers online. That way I don't have to buy the papers.

Just found article how my state ui may be over 11 percent. Yipes!70,000 Workers Displaced by Hurricane Sandy in New Jersey: Unemployment Rate May Reach 11%

Hopeful!!! According to the following article from 12/8, Reps and Dems agree to extend fed. UI benefits before end of year - just hashing out how to pay for them/details. Important article: Tis the season for hope for long-term federal jobless benefits - National Unemployment | Examiner.com.
Wish we had that here - I only get the Sunday paper but pick up the Jobs.com, Metro and Bee during the week. As well as search NY State Dept of Labor, various online job boards as well as ecide - which keps me up to date on who's expanding, adding jobs ect - so I can check their websites for positions.

There is so much bickering on these boards and some people seem to forget that everyone is an individual. Just because jobs are plentiful in one state doesn't mean that they are in another - just because there are lots of openings - doesn't mean that everyone that's unemployed can fill that position. For some it's harder than others - due to lack of schooling or ability to perform certain jobs.

I will be forever grateful to Ariadne22, as they have gone out of their way to help everyone with questions on this forum. They've repeated themselves over and over and are never snippy or short with people no matter how many times they go over the same info. There are a couple of others too, who are so helpful, but I can't remember your names. Sorry!

Others here have no patience, love to belittle and are just ornery - is there a way I can ignore them?

Old 12-11-2012, 12:16 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
i would buy that if the numbers werent so high for people still on unemployment after 6 months

Well anyone with sense knows that people are still unemployed because

1. Lots of competition
2. Not a lot of job postings
3. Companies only hiring from the inside
4. Long hiring process which can be 5 months
5. Jobs offering wages that are not high enough to live on which means you stay on UC

Old 12-11-2012, 12:19 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Wish we had that here - I only get the Sunday paper but pick up the Jobs.com, Metro and Bee during the week. As well as search NY State Dept of Labor, various online job boards as well as ecide - which keps me up to date on who's expanding, adding jobs ect - so I can check their websites for positions.

There is so much bickering on these boards and some people seem to forget that everyone is an individual. Just because jobs are plentiful in one state doesn't mean that they are in another - just because there are lots of openings - doesn't mean that everyone that's unemployed can fill that position. For some it's harder than others - due to lack of schooling or ability to perform certain jobs.

I will be forever grateful to Ariadne22, as they have gone out of their way to help everyone with questions on this forum. They've repeated themselves over and over and are never snippy or short with people no matter how many times they go over the same info. There are a couple of others too, who are so helpful, but I can't remember your names. Sorry!

Others here have no patience, love to belittle and are just ornery - is there a way I can ignore them?

So true. Prime example right now is not many job postings in Philadelphia but plenty in the cities below

Baltmore
Washington, D.C

So if you live in those two cities you will have no problem finding a job

Old 12-11-2012, 01:04 PM

165 posts, read 430,785 times
Also geographic area plays a factor. Although I'm in NJ, I live in the west, in the country, NYC metro area is not an option for me - which means less jobs. Relocating is not an option for me either. However, maybe along with extending UI, they will do something to stimulate hiring taxwise - it's about time!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment