Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2012, 07:59 PM

113 posts, read 393,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
As I recall last year, it took sometime for the exact conditions under which UE would be extended to be understood. I'm sure Ariadne22 is looking for those now but it maybe several days or more before we know exactly who will get extended benefits.
I'm very curious to read what she finds out. California has played an interesting game in it's numbers with unemployment.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:00 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Wait. Don't we need the House to vote on this?

Old 12-31-2012, 08:09 PM

113 posts, read 393,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Wait. Don't we need the House to vote on this?

It's a band-aide The fiscal cliff is nigh; Senators strike deal, House won't vote - CNN.com

"Senate leaders and the White House struck a last-minute deal to avert the feared fiscal cliff Monday night,
the House of Representatives went home long before midnight, meaning nothing will get through Congress before the combination of tax increases and spending cuts Congress has been scrambling to head off starts to kick in."

Old 12-31-2012, 08:36 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic_me View Post
I'm very curious to read what she finds out. California has played an interesting game in it's numbers with unemployment.
I'm not looking for anything at this point. As posted two or three pages back on this thread, we knew at 1:00 today the negotiators were no longer arguing about how to pay for UE benefits - but were going to treat them once again as Emergency Legislation - and extend them for one year. That is not new news. The specifics remain unknown.

Law clerks are now writing the Senate legislation - covering a myriad of issues

We may or may not have a vote in Senate tonight.

If Boehner can hold his caucus together - House may vote tomorrow.

Whether this will pass both branches of Congress remains to be seen.

Too many nuts running around Congess these days. The following ridiculous statement pretty much says it all about these clowns:
Quote:
In the House, GOP sources said there's little practical difference in settling the issue Monday night versus Tuesday. But if House Republicans approve the bill on Tuesday -- when taxes have technically gone up -- they can argue they've voted for a tax cut to bring rates back down, even after just a few hours, GOP sources said. That could bring some more Republicans on board, one source said.

The fiscal cliff is nigh; Senators strike deal, House won't vote - CNN.com

Old 12-31-2012, 08:58 PM

426 posts, read 1,909,122 times
Now they are saying its a done deal in the senate, but they are waiting for the CBO to score it before they vote.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I thuink since 2008 people have just chnaged their outlook which is why sales were down. I mean people have been deleveragig debt and saving more ver since and with new expectaions of deficit meaning higher tax direct or indirect people are just paying mre attntion as they should. I really don't think we are goigto return to easy credit spending like the pre-2008 levels i out lifetime. But we shouldn't unless we want the same problems alover agian.One only has to loo at the reactio to the 70's recession which was i diffent caused but a whope genration left the markets afterwards.People were risk off unlike previousl;y lie they are reacting now.But it created the small business boom we have known ever since ;as people reinvented themselves ;so to speak in employment. and investment.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:36 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
That was posted earlier upthread.

It means legislators are no longer arguing about benefits being paid for -

BUT - BUT - BUT

Even though UE benefits are included in the legislation everyone is fighting about, neither House nor Senate have voted on this legislation. Nothing has been voted on, passed, or signed, as yet.

Effectively, federal EUC benefits ended yesterday. And remain that way - until new legislation is enacted.
Correct, and while the Senate leaders agreed with it tnoight, the House has been the wild card the whole time, and remains so right now.

We'll all know in 24 hours.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:32 AM

67 posts, read 198,696 times
just because it may be extended a year, does not mean everyone will get a year. I certainly will not. I just last week filed for Tier 1 in Hawaii. Tier 2 as of mid December has been cancelled here due to lower UI numbers, so tier 1 is all I will get.

ALSO, and I have to figure out what this means for me, when I applied, the clerk found I still had funds in my 2010 Tier 1 account, and it just dawned on me, I have no idea how much is in there, I very well may have only 6 weeks left in tier 1 for 2010 for all I know, which would mean instead of the 14 hoped for, it very well may be much less.

One thing I could not figure out, after reading the Q*A, is is ssaid Tier 1 was only paid 52% of original claim? Does that mean I onlly get 1/2 of what i was getting ? I had read in this thread that the subsequent tiers were full amount of your UI benefit. In fact, my benefit amount from 2010 which this new tier 1 is based on, was about $50 more per week than the UI amount of 2012.

Last edited by allen96817; 01-01-2013 at 02:24 AM..

Old 01-01-2013, 04:05 AM

40 posts, read 165,082 times
SENATE CLEARS FISCAL CLIFF DEAL 89-8 (unemployment benefits extended for one year) http://politi.co/131BAGU

Old 01-01-2013, 04:11 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcidroyale View Post
SENATE CLEARS FISCAL CLIFF DEAL 89-8 (unemployment benefits extended for one year) Senate clears fiscal cliff deal 89-8 - Jake Sherman and Carrie Budoff Brown and Kate Nocera - POLITICO.com
As has been already pointed out, it still has to clear the House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment