U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-09-2012, 05:16 PM

15,674 posts, read 6,152,126 times
Wire services reported yesterday neither party is in favor of any more extensions. My hunch, based on political interviews I have seen, is Dems want to decouple Bush tax rates < 250k from above 250k. No matter how you feel, safest way for Dems to get their wish is to allow 12/27 moves to occur; (1) Bush tax cuts-bye, (2) SS 2% cut-bye, (3) UI extensions bye.

of those 3, if 12/27 passes and they all expire, only tax cuts for the <250k would likely pass as a stand alone bill.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:24 PM
Status: "want to be beach bound, again, soon! lol" (set 22 days ago)

5,380 posts, read 9,429,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Registered Rep. View Post
"the general feel"???

That is a heck of a statement without any facts or links to support your claim.

First of all there is not a lot of information regarding 2013 emergency unemployment compensation out there at the moment. Secondly Obama just got re elected with a democratic senate so that bodes in favor of a 2013 extension.

Lastly and most important; no congress has ever not extended EUC benefits when in a recession where unemployment is over 7.2% and all economic forecasts are saying unemployment will be 8% or higher through 2013.
I could link several posts in this thread alone that suggests they do not believe there will be any more extensions, yet you choose mine to criticize? Did you even bother to read all the posts in this thread? Probably not and I'll also guess that you won't be back to the forum too!

Old 11-10-2012, 10:16 PM

25 posts, read 40,252 times
I was down at UE the other day here in California and the rep told me from what he thought is they may do only extended benefits not EUC for states with the higest unemployment. So I guess you would only get your states benefits of 26 weeks and 20 weeks of EB and no more tiers for the states that qualify.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:28 PM

417 posts, read 642,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdvert View Post
I was down at UE the other day here in California and the rep told me from what he thought is they may do only extended benefits not EUC for states with the higest unemployment. So I guess you would only get your states benefits of 26 weeks and 20 weeks of EB and no more tiers for the states that qualify.
So in other words 23 or 26 weeks of state unemployment then Tier one federal for 20 weeks and then cut off?

My state is Florida which has a fairly high unemployment rate.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:27 AM
Status: "want to be beach bound, again, soon! lol" (set 22 days ago)

5,380 posts, read 9,429,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasdavie View Post
So in other words 23 or 26 weeks of state unemployment then Tier one federal for 20 weeks and then cut off?

Nothing has been passed yet to extend anything in 2013 beyond state benefits. Anything you hear right now is just a guess.

They have to do something; my state, SC is still over 9% unemployed. Surely they won't let all those people lose everything they have worked for; but who am I kidding...they already cut the benefits we were getting along with thousands of others in this state. Poverty rises!

Old 11-11-2012, 01:02 PM

25 posts, read 40,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasdavie View Post

Its all speculation but no more tiers you would get your normal amount of weeks for your state and then Federal extended benefits (EB) which was already taken away by most states in early-mid 2012. I suppose it makes since (for them to cut back and save but not for unemployed) less money only a few states no tiers and more rules to get your money from UE.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:24 PM

928 posts, read 2,381,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Registered Rep. View Post
If you want to be realistic then look at the facts and history.

NO congress has ever NOT passed extensions in a recession with unemployment over 7.2%. Right now it is 8% and that expected to continue by most economic forecasts and considering Obama just got 4 more years I expect that rate to go up.
Actually other surveys show the unemployment rate is way lower than 7.9% (gallup has it at around 7.0%, and in recent consumer confidence surveys many more people said jobs are plentiful ).

But the reason why it won't be extended it because extended benefits are politically unpopular. Even all these 'progressives' who voted for obama assume people who got extended benefits were just milking the system..
Why do you expect the rate to go up?? It was around the same in 1992 when Clinton was elected and two years later (in 1994) the rate was around 5.2%

Old 11-11-2012, 06:55 PM

113 posts, read 166,999 times
Wouldn't those gallup numbers be a little "skewed" depending on who has been suddenly bumped off any extensions but remain unemployed? Living in California do I honestly believe we are hanging around the 7% level? Not on your life. I'd bet the few penny's I have left we are near 11% It's an interesting national number that suddenly goes skyrocket high come January 1st if you think about it. It would also be interesting to see REAL numbers in relation to public assistance and how many new comers to all the charity available.

Do I think there will be an extension? I hope so but not holding my breath on that. There will be deals made to get those taxes higher and my guess is the unemployed will take the hit for that. I never thought I'd be on unemployment. Put if off for a while but finally caved after unsuccessfully finding employment. I was mad at those who were bragging about being on it for over a year as some ready made free cash with little stress to get a job. Flash fwd and I'm even more angry because they exhausted it for us newer claimant's who could have used a little of that extra safety net for a few weeks but never for a full year. It would be nice for us not to feel like we were on a death march for 26 weeks scrambling around like a cockroach desperately looking for work.

I love being given an income that is below the poverty level and told ... HURRY get a job or you lose every thing. It's a blast to go without food to pay for gas to go to interviews where 100 people show up and your confidence is quickly eroding away because of all the current stress. I love that I feel every interview is like applying for the miss america pageant where workability isn't the real key. It's sucking up and performing to the level of vomit worthy without actually falling on your knee's and begging for the job. Cause see thats a no no. Them treating you like you are insignificant though is allowed. I am loving going to bed every night with my stomach turning inside out wondering what I'm going to do about all the bills and how much longer I can live with the stress of not having a job. I about wet my drawers reading the awesome advice on line about how to impress in an interview which includes the bestest font to use on a resume and how to properly cross your legs. God knows if I were hiring I'd be over the moon and inspired by courier new. It has hire me NOW all over it. I love dreaming about the horror of being homeless and then after 2 hours waking up and starting it all over again. I love that those dry noodles in a cup can be for breakfast lunch and dinner. God! We are a blessed a nation to have such a great system that has constructed a way to enable all adults to have work that is available and pays good enough so we aren't struggling. God Bless America

Last edited by cosmic_me; 11-11-2012 at 07:18 PM..

Old 11-11-2012, 08:17 PM

417 posts, read 642,006 times
I believe that congress is going to PUNT in the lame duck session . The framework they are laying out are in broad strokes. They are not going to just cut people off unemployment . I can see them cutting off tier 3 and 4 for folks who have been collecting a long time.

However, the economy has not recovered and your basic 20 to 26 week unemployment then cut off to nothing is too severe.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 3,737 times
I am a father of 3 Children and wanted to share my story of UE with everyone.

I was unemployed last year my benefits were 418.00 a week. Off that I could not make my monthly obligations. I pounded the pavement. I considered jobs I never considered before. I had 3 job offers in the same week they were all at and around 11-13 an hour and all with in a moth of being on UE I took a loss of pay from what I was making. But the way I looked at it was that 600 a week was far better that the 418.00 I was getting. I worked for 13.00 an hour and struggled for 8 months. During the 8 month of 2 $13.00 an hour jobs I stilled applied for other jobs and I happen to get another job. I was offered at my new job what I was making when I got laid off. I found it easier to find a better paying job while I had a job than it was while I was unemployed. I did have to uproot my family and move. I wanted to take this time to share my story to hopefully help others out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.