Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2012, 11:28 PM

6 posts, read 31,688 times

Advertisements

Hi, any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

I'm currently getting a weekly benefit amount of $269 that is reduced due to less-than-part-time work (17.5 hours a week) in an Elementary school. My pay is just under $13/hour. Obviously, I make less per week than my benefit amount when working during the school year in my permanent position.

I was not offered Summer work through my district, so I found it elsewhere outside my school district. The job I found is offering me 25 hours a week at $15/hour, and I am hired on as a seasonal employee. So, I will be making more than my weekly benefit amount. I understand that this will cause my EDD payments to stop.

My question is, will the benefit payments begin again once I start back at my permanent job at the school, where I'm making less than my weekly benefit amount? If so, will this be automatic, or will I have to go through some kind of interview? Will they continue to send me claim forms while I am working the Summer job, even though I will consistently be making enough to void any EDD payment during that time?

Thanks for any insight you might have!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 12:30 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,393,736 times
Yes, your EDD payments will stop and if you stop sending in the forms, or consistently have more than the benefit amount. your claim will close.

You will have to apply to reopen your claim after you leave the temporary job. There may be some issues on that depending on circumstances of your claim, but if the other job is seasonal, you will be laid off. The wages for the other job will also factor in to any new claim, as well as the BYE for the original claim.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:58 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,075,853 times
That school thing worries me.

It's a good thing you found a job for the summer because you may very well have found out that you'd have gotten nothing anyway.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Yes, your EDD payments will stop and if you stop sending in the forms, or consistently have more than the benefit amount. your claim will close.

You will have to apply to reopen your claim after you leave the temporary job. There may be some issues on that depending on circumstances of your claim, but if the other job is seasonal, you will be laid off. The wages for the other job will also factor in to any new claim, as well as the BYE for the original claim.
What does "the BYE for the original claim" mean? Benefit Year End? That isn't until March 2013, why would my seasonal Summer camp job have an effect on that? And how?

So what I'm getting is that once I begin to send back claim forms showing that I'm making more than my weekly benefit amount, the claim will close and the continued claim forms will stop. Does anyone know if this will happen right away, the first time I report my higher weekly wages? Or will they keep sending the claim form for a while?

Once the Summer camp ends, I should receive official notice of being laid off from the summer camp, and when I do I can file to re-open my current claim, right? Because I still have over $4,000 in this claim and it doesn't expire til March of 2013. When you mention possible issues depending on my circumstances, could you give me some examples of what those could be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
That school thing worries me.

It's a good thing you found a job for the summer because you may very well have found out that you'd have gotten nothing anyway.
I'm getting EDD based on wages from a waitressing job that unexpectedly laid me off back in March of 2011. When I found the job at the elementary school I was already 6 months into my first claim, and my EDD was reduced because of the wages from the school. Then I received notice that I was eligible for another year's worth of EDD under a new claim, but still based on my final months' wages from waitressing. The weekly benefit amount did not change between my first two claims. I am currently 4 months into the second claim.

Last edited by kitteh; 06-19-2012 at 08:57 PM..

Old 06-19-2012, 08:47 PM

You can't go by that. Each job creates it's own eligibility with the last job generally being the controlling job. There have been enough posts from people that were getting UI, and then took jobs as substitute teachers thinking they were doing the right thing to earn some money and not be a freeloader only to find that they were kicked off the system for the summer. Had they never taken the school job, they could have kept right on collecting.

Your waitressing job no longer matters. When you go to reopen your claim, they ask where all you worked before reopening it, and that last employer will become controlling on your claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitteh View Post
I'm getting EDD based on wages from a waitressing job that unexpectedly laid me off back in March of 2011. When I found the job at the elementary school I was already 6 months into my first claim, and my EDD was reduced because of the wages from the school. Then I received notice that I was eligible for another year's worth of EDD under a new claim, but still based on my final months' wages from waitressing. The weekly benefit amount did not change between my first two claims. I am currently 6 4 months into the second claim.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:57 PM

Hmm, that is interesting. I continued to get my full benefit amount during unpaid school holidays, so I just assumed that I would continue to get the full amount during the unpaid summer "holiday."

Old 06-20-2012, 05:58 AM

16 posts, read 44,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
You can't go by that. Each job creates it's own eligibility with the last job generally being the controlling job. There have been enough posts from people that were getting UI, and then took jobs as substitute teachers thinking they were doing the right thing to earn some money and not be a freeloader only to find that they were kicked off the system for the summer. Had they never taken the school job, they could have kept right on collecting.

Your waitressing job no longer matters. When you go to reopen your claim, they ask where all you worked before reopening it, and that last employer will become controlling on your claim.
I was wondering about this kind of thing.

I'm a member of a trade union in NJ. This is the first time I've been out of work so I'm not exactly sure how it all works. Right now I am on a list waiting for them to send me back out to long term full time work, that's not going to be for a many months due to the length of the list, tho.

We have a special thing called a "short call" while you're waiting in which they send you out to work for a maximum of 160 hours, and you don't lose your place on the list.

So I've always wondered if going out on those 4 weeks of full time work while on an extension would mess up your unemployment?

Old 06-20-2012, 08:47 AM

On the surface it would be ok, but if one of those 160-hour jobs had you working in the sewers and the stench was making your retch, you better suck it up because if you quit, the UE office will shut off your checks until it makes a determination as to whether your quit was for "good cause."

Also, once you start doing that kind of work, it can then be found that this is suitable work for you from here on out because you showed a willingness to do it. If that job in the sewer suddenly becomes a full-time, permanent opportunity, you could find yourself stuck with it until you find another job or looking for work with no benefits.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:35 AM

16 posts, read 44,091 times
The 160 hours would be the same type of work (Electrical) for the same rate, so I wouldn't mind where they sent me, if they wanted me to stay I would be very happy to. My main concern is that after that 160 hours I would most likely get a lay off, and I would worry that if I was in the middle of an extension before going out on that 4 weeks job, that I would lose the extension. I've heard people talking about that before and saying that's it's better to just turn the 4 week job down completely and stay on unemployment. If that's true, it's a shame that the system is penalizing people for working when it's available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment