U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-19-2012, 03:39 PM

131 posts, read 222,593 times

Advertisements

Got a letter and questionnaire saying I may be called in for try duty. I know if I'm selected and paid anything, I would have to report that to Marvin as earnings, but how will all of this affect my UI benefits? Will I need to tell Marvin that I was not able/available for the week/weeks in question if I am selected? I still plan on applying to jobs those weeks, just not sure how they view jury duty and what I need to do to make sure nothing gets screwed up, lol.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 06:35 PM

43 posts, read 108,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcd09 View Post
Got a letter and questionnaire saying I may be called in for try duty. I know if I'm selected and paid anything, I would have to report that to Marvin as earnings, but how will all of this affect my UI benefits? Will I need to tell Marvin that I was not able/available for the week/weeks in question if I am selected? I still plan on applying to jobs those weeks, just not sure how they view jury duty and what I need to do to make sure nothing gets screwed up, lol.

Thanks

Google "michigan unemployment jury duty" look at first link. Your system has a name, albeit they could improve on Marvin. Wow, cool!

Old 06-20-2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrepo View Post
Google "michigan unemployment jury duty" look at first link. Your system has a name, albeit they could improve on Marvin. Wow, cool!
Yeah, I tried looking all over the UIA website, so I guess I just still say I'm able and available, and then report any earnings I may get from jury duty? This is interesting as it is my first time ever being called for jury duty.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:10 AM

4,404 posts, read 5,459,577 times
I would be careful with that, as you will not be "available" for work if you are at Jury Duty.

If you are called, you are legally obligated to show up. So, I would do further research and figure out the law.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
I would be careful with that, as you will not be "available" for work if you are at Jury Duty.

If you are called, you are legally obligated to show up. So, I would do further research and figure out the law.
I can't seem to find any concrete info for Michigan on this, but I have found info from other states that says that they consider you able and available while performing jury duty. Guess I will have to see how it goes and if I get called to show up for jury duty I'll have to spend the 3 hours on hold to talk to someone at the UI office.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:25 AM

4,404 posts, read 5,459,577 times
In CA, as far as I know, you have to report any Jury Duty pay and you have to claim differently. If I recall, you have to turn in the paper claim form. But that is in CA and I am not sure about other states.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:08 AM

16,842 posts, read 16,628,873 times
Is the jury duty stipend considered "pay" or reimbursement for expenses and meals? That's how MD terms it so employers can't take it from employees called for duty.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:45 AM

105 posts, read 189,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcd09 View Post

Thanks
Here in California my county allows you to request a deferment on jury duty, of sorts, to a date up to three months in the future. Check and see if you have the same option-it gives you some play time.

Carol-Lynn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment