U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 01:41 PM

13 posts, read 101,187 times

Advertisements

I'm curious if anyone has had an experience with the California EDD checking on an unemployment beneficiary's job search record.

I've been on UI for a month now and have been applying to jobs, though only ones I would actually take, which narrows the field somewhat. At a job search seminar last week, which I was told I had to attend, a couple of people seemed to have trouble coming up with six jobs they had applied to. Does anyone at the EDD actually have time to contact businesses and ask if they have an application on record from so-and-so?

The consensus around the internet seems to be that this probably never happens but "you never know". Just wondering if anyone has first-hand experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 02:12 PM

4,169 posts, read 4,773,880 times
I've always thought there were many factors.

1. Likelihood of being called in for a work search

2. Likelihood that the state will contact the listed employers

3. Likelihood the employer would waste their time responding

4. US Department of Labor statistic that .3% of denials are from improper work search

5. A pdf that I read that for every dollar spent on work search audits only 6 cents is saved.

Based on the above, I'm of the opinion that the work search is the state's lowest priority. The bigger one being people continuing to claim after going back to work. It saves a state a lot more in overpayments and it's a lot easier with the new hire database to detect.

There's also the fact that unemployment pays a lot less than what a claimant was making in the base period from which the benefits were calculated, so there is a pretty good incentive/probability that a claimant is looking for the right job to get back to where he/she was before.

I went through a work search audit in the 80s, but it wasn't the main reason I was called in. It was triggered by a refusal of work, and the state's position is that when you refuse work, you may not be able and available or doing a proper search, so they looked at everything to make sure a denial might stick. Then to answer your question, no they didn't contact the employers. They glanced at the log and handed it back to me, and then asked why I refused the job.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:56 AM

2,739 posts, read 3,568,985 times
LOL, no. I've been applying my form online for months now. The online form doesn't even ask for that part. It just ask the yes or no questions, NOTHING fill in the blanks. NOTHING!!!

It's MUCH MUCH faster. I complete it on a Monday, get the money on my card Wednesday, transfer into my bank account by Friday. I setup the card to transfer automatically so all in all, it takes just a few minutes to do everything.

I have been applying like crazy so if they did want to check, I wouldn't stress either way but going online is way easier. Just do a google search with "webcert" and it should be the first link. Have your paperwork with you, it'll ask for some particular numbers. I've converted alot of people to do it online.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:21 PM

27 posts, read 91,460 times
Dub D - Could you please clarify --- what phase of your claim are you collecting on. On the initial claim form for the first 26 weeks of my claim, EDD did NOT require a record of my job search. Thus, for this phase, the box on the form is NOT marked with an "X." (I sent form by mail.) I am now collecting Tier 1 benefits phase and the box is marked with an "X" on the form requiring documentation of my job search. And I am still mailing the form as I've done in the past. My question to you is this --- if I transition to Web Cert moving forward for the remainder of the federal extensions (Tier 1-4) will I still need to complete the documentation?

EDD is oblivious to the difficulty of obtaining names of the hiring manager/recruiter when emailing a resume or applying for a job online -- and more employers are using employment agencies to do their dirty work of screening applicants. Also, come December all UE will be phased out except the first 26 weeks here in California -- so more economic woes on the way.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:41 AM

93 posts, read 389,845 times
I've filled out the back of two EDD forms so far (week 13 and week 14 of tier 2). If you switch to web cert, you don't have to send in a log, but you need to have one at the ready if they ask for it. I'd rather just get it out of the way by filling it out. Also, they don't expect you to have a name for every manager/ recruiter...out of 13 contacts, I only had 3 actual names down. I just put "hiring manager" or "HR department" for the rest.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:42 PM

30 posts, read 363,441 times
Look up the work search requirements for those collecting extended benefits on California EDD's website. I believe that that info is in the 'frequently asked questions' section. It's spells out very clearly what the work search requirements are, and what constitutes a 'job contact'.

You only need to fill out the work search on the back of the form IF the box on the front of the form is marked "X" next to "did you look for work". EDD does this at random -- checks up on people's work searches.

If the box next to "did you look for work" is NOT checked with an "X", then you do not have to document your work search on the back of the paper claim form. But you do need to keep a record of your work search for every week that you look for work anyway, in case EDD ever asks for it (e.g., audits you).

If the box is marked "X", then you will need to claim using the paper claim form, as the web-cert form does not allow you to enter details about your work search (at least that was the case the last time I looked).

When the box is NOT marked "X", you can certify by web-cert or by telephone, and your benefits will be received in two to three days after you submit the claim (faster than by mail). I recommend these methods. You should know how to do both, since if one service is 'down' or not functioning, you can file using the other option. That's saved me once before when web-cert wasn't working I was able to file with tele-cert.

Again, all this information about how to get set up to use web-cert or tele-cert is clearly explained on EDD's website. For example, to submit your claim by telephone, you have to set up a pin number, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz47 View Post
Dub D - Could you please clarify --- what phase of your claim are you collecting on. On the initial claim form for the first 26 weeks of my claim, EDD did NOT require a record of my job search. Thus, for this phase, the box on the form is NOT marked with an "X." (I sent form by mail.) I am now collecting Tier 1 benefits phase and the box is marked with an "X" on the form requiring documentation of my job search. And I am still mailing the form as I've done in the past. My question to you is this --- if I transition to Web Cert moving forward for the remainder of the federal extensions (Tier 1-4) will I still need to complete the documentation?

EDD is oblivious to the difficulty of obtaining names of the hiring manager/recruiter when emailing a resume or applying for a job online -- and more employers are using employment agencies to do their dirty work of screening applicants. Also, come December all UE will be phased out except the first 26 weeks here in California -- so more economic woes on the way.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:27 AM

2,739 posts, read 3,568,985 times
If you were able to post on here, you are able to use Web-cert. Seriously, it's not rocket science.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 47,275 times
HELP: I use webcert every two weeks. The paper form comes in the mail and this time No. 3 is checked asking me to complete Section B. I still used Webcert to file (thought was it would not allow me to fill out if Box 3 was checked. There was no place to fill in where and when I looked for work - should I still use my paper form?

Old 07-15-2012, 01:20 PM

4,169 posts, read 4,773,880 times
You can use the paper form, but if you keep using webcert, you'll save yourself the hassle of filling out the work search, a post stamp, and it's perfectly ok. I think you should ignore the paper form.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:10 AM

93 posts, read 389,845 times
Every EDD form comes marked with an X now. That doesn't mean you need to send the paper form in. It just means that if you DO choose to use the paper form, you must fill out the job search log on the back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment