U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2012, 07:22 PM

379 posts, read 1,116,605 times

Advertisements

It's been a while since I've posted here but I'm glad to know that the community is still here and I can turn to you people for help and your thoughts.

I'm on my last tier of unemployment benefits, a six week tier IV. My state ended Extended Benefits in May so this is the end of the road for me in regards to drawing unemployment benefits. I began this tier about two weeks ago and submitted my first online certification today and expect to be finished with this tier at the end of this month. After that, any source of regular income will cease. My finances are set for at least the next year, assuming I do not receive any surprises along the way. Beyond that however, only time will tell.

So with this tier, actually at the very end of my last tier, the department sent me a letter saying that I will now have to report all work search with my (bi)weekly certification. I received my paper form in the mail with "X" marked in the box saying that I have to turn in a work search record for the weeks I'm claiming benefits. I certify online and will not be able to turn in any records unless the department asks for it. I'll definitely do my part but I have a few questions.

1) How far back can I realistically expect the department to ask for any certification if they ask? Years or months or going forward from the weeks they began to ask me to turn in work search records?
2) The department is very rigid about the details of work certification but what is the best way to report applications, resumés, and correspondences sent online to potential employers (ones where details are not easily available)?
3) Since I am at my last tier of unemployment, if the department asks for a work search record after I finish collecting benefits and I decide to not produce anything record because I will no longer have any benefits to collect, what exactly can the department do?
4) What are the chances that the department does not even ask for a work search record?
5) If the department does ask for a record and I do turn something over, do they actually contact these potential employers or is it all for bookkeeping?
6) At any point during this last tier and the department does indeed ask for a record and I decide not to turn anything over, what can they do? Just cut off my benefits? Demand that I pay back all of my benefits for the past couple of years?

Thanks for any answers and insights with these questions.

At this point, the biggest thing I fear in regards to unemployment benefits is the department claiming that I was overpaid, never qualified, and I have to repay any portion or all of the benefits that I collected since 2009. Like I mentioned earlier, my finances are set for the next year but being forced to repay my benefits would do more than wipe me out. Considering that I used my benefits to barely survive the last couple of years and saved what I could while trying my own ventures, any demands of me would literally be trying to beat blood out of a stone.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 02:45 PM

Anyone have answers or thoughts to my questions?

Old 07-03-2012, 03:08 PM

9,602 posts, read 13,733,939 times
How does California EDD check job search records?

Your concerns were covered in this thread.

The lack of good first-hand accounts, just reinforces my opinion that it doesn't happen.

I just hope you're not losing sleep about something that in all probability won't happen to you.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
How does California EDD check job search records?

Your concerns were covered in this thread.

The lack of good first-hand accounts, just reinforces my opinion that it doesn't happen.

I just hope you're not losing sleep about something that in all probability won't happen to you.

Thank you, that thread helped me a lot.

You're right, the odds of anyone being asked for work search certification is very low.

The one other thing that I'm more worried about is overpayments or being told I didn't qualify for a certain period of benefits and having to repay that money. I've had people tell me about their experience with dealing with overpayments and reading about it on forums like this. The thing is I did work sporadically while I've been on UI and reported my income as accurately as possible. There were times where I'm sure I was off in my reporting as I was only able to estimate my income (due to differing rates in overtime payments and other employer related penalties and bonuses).

Either way, I'll worry about it when the time comes. Bottom line, it really does suck being kicked when you're all ready down.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:20 AM

2 posts, read 24,228 times
Hi has anyone gotten an extension and filed on web cert but when recieved the actual paper claim it had an "x" on the part where it says work search. I happen to file online but it didnt ask me for worksearch. Did anyone get paid even though it had an x on the actual claim form. Help please. What do i do...

Old 08-28-2012, 11:09 AM

330 posts, read 1,240,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlabaco View Post
Hi has anyone gotten an extension and filed on web cert but when recieved the actual paper claim it had an "x" on the part where it says work search. I happen to file online but it didnt ask me for worksearch. Did anyone get paid even though it had an x on the actual claim form. Help please. What do i do...
Yes, you will get paid. I file online even though the paper has an X checked for work search. I keep a work search on an Excel spreadsheet in case they want me to audit me. I found that sending in the paper claim form when the box is checked, with your work search history of the back, slows down the processing of your claim. I almost had to wait the entire ten days to receive my payment after sending in the paper form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment