U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-12-2012, 12:09 PM
 
5 posts, read 23,989 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

I'm only working part time here in CA and am thinking of moving to Seattle to look for work. Will my benefits be cancelled if I quit my part time job? I know they normally are denied when you quit but this is because I'm moving. Is there a special circumstance for that?
Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-12-2012, 12:28 PM
 
13,047 posts, read 19,441,750 times
Reputation: 2295
No, that is an almost certain denial, and it's not a special circumstance.

Yet again, another reason not to take a part time job. You're tied to to the area and can't move to greener pastures to look for work and keep your benefits.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2012, 03:54 PM
 
5 posts, read 23,989 times
Reputation: 15
Damn... I was really hoping this would work. I saw something on the Voluntary Quit page of the CAEDD site stating that you can quit a part time job if it's to get more time to search for a full time one. Would that be a good justification? Have you ever heard of that working?
I don't even particularly mind my job, if I could get it full time though, I'd be much happier. I know I'm stuck at part time though.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2012, 04:17 PM
 
13,047 posts, read 19,441,750 times
Reputation: 2295
You're right there is a section for doing what you suggest, but you have to read between the lines and there is no example to guide you.

Voluntary Quit VQ 365 - Leaving for Other Work to Seek Prospective Employment

"An individual who leaves work to seek other work does not have good cause for leaving the work unless the individual leaves part-time work to seek full-time work because the part-time work prevents an effective search for full-time work."

You'd have the burden to establish that you couldn't effectively search for work, and I just can't come up with a senario where a part time job can do that.

Also, coupled with the move, they may very well find that you moved for personal reasons than that the job market in the new location was significantly better, and you'd have to prove that it was really better.

You can always try to get fired by:

Asking to be made full time.

Asking for a raise.

If they ask you to do something out of the ordinary, say, "that's not my job." (however still do it, but slowly, poorly, and with a surly look on your face. You don't want it to look like insubordination)

Call in sick when you know they'll be really hurting. (only do it like once or twice. Much more and it's a problem)

Get the idea. Nothing in and of it's self is misconduct, but they'll be wanting you gone in a hurry.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2012, 06:35 PM
 
810 posts, read 1,543,855 times
Reputation: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
No, that is an almost certain denial, and it's not a special circumstance.

Yet again, another reason not to take a part time job. You're tied to to the area and can't move to greener pastures to look for work and keep your benefits.
Unfortunately that is true, I am in the same situation of wanting to leave CA in hopes of finding a job, however since I work part time if I do there goes the rest of my unemployment.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2012, 02:24 AM
 
Location: Kakaako Honolulu, Hawaii
67 posts, read 179,273 times
Reputation: 55
I am in a similar position. Wanting to leave Hawaii and return to California. I have a part time job that is only 0-8 hours per week @$10.00/hr. The past two weeks there have been no hours for me. I basically 'recept' at a dispute resolution center if there are evening sessions scheduled, only twice a week. But there have been none for the past two weeks (summer I guess). I currently collect a weekly unemployment, and Hawaii lets me keep up to $150 per week in a part time job and still collect the full UI. But the max I earn anyway is $80 and lately it's only been may be $40/week. It certainly helps, no complaints there, but I am more than likely stuck until I save up enough money to move or they release me. Which may or may not happen because me and my inexperienced supervisor (recently appointed) just dont see eye to eye. Anyway... I am wondering if since the hours are so erratic and have not been much, if that would give me the opp to leave it with my UI unscathed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
...

If they ask you to do something out of the ordinary, say, "that's not my job." (however still do it, but slowly, poorly, and with a surly look on your face. You don't want it to look like insubordination)

Call in sick when you know they'll be really hurting. (only do it like once or twice. Much more and it's a problem)

Get the idea. Nothing in and of it's self is misconduct, but they'll be wanting you gone in a hurry.

In Hawaii, the PT employer has to fill out a weekly report of low earnings/part time earnings and one of the check boxes is "did the employee accept all work offered". Also, when I file my UI, it asks if I accepted "all work offered".

My question is, wouldn't calling in sick invalidate that "accepting all work offered?" clause?

I had collected UI here also about 3.5 years ago and then had a different PT job (which I got JUST before I was laid off from my FT job - Had I known,, grrr) . It was one of those horrid call center/opinion surveyors that I took just to earn some extra money. I was stuck at that place literally and the boss KNEW i had to accept all work offered. THis other woman and I were on UI, they had work every weeknight 5-9, and satu and sunday full day. The boss made us work both sat and sun expecially if there was extra hours. We're talking 12 hours Sat and Sun dialing an antiquiated phone system and calling people for surveys and getting hung up on. The only way I could get out of that was to get another part time job that paid 'better' than that one. What a mess that was. But we cannot always know when we were in jeopardy of losing our jobs and if we happen to have a part timer at the time, we are stuck with it,

I've signed up with some temp agencies and IF I get an assignment that doesn't let me get to the PT in a timely manner, would that be reason to quit it? I would imagine so. Currentlly it's 'off downtown' and I usually work downtown, but I am going on some interviews in Waikiki which if offered , even temp, would not let me get back downtown in time by 5:30 pm via bus.


I guess suddenl doing a **** poor job could get you released/fired from the PT, but it still seems a fine line and you really would have to watch that insubordination factor. I'm sure the UI office would contact the PT (even tho the claim is not against them) and ask what the situation was..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2012, 02:35 AM
 
13,047 posts, read 19,441,750 times
Reputation: 2295
Before I get into the other stuff you typed, there is a potential loophole in your case.

I just don't know if HI has a similar provision. It has to do with the fact that you haven't been scheduled to work for two weeks. In some states, not being scheduled for that long is a DISCHARGE, and you could leave HI during a lull, and then when they called to schedule you, the work would be unsuitable because of the distance from your new residence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajd96813 View Post
I am in a similar position. Wanting to leave Hawaii and return to California. I have a part time job that is only 0-8 hours per week @$10.00/hr. The past two weeks there have been no hours for me. I basically 'recept' at a dispute resolution center if there are evening sessions scheduled, only twice a week. But there have been none for the past two weeks (summer I guess). I currently collect a weekly unemployment, and Hawaii lets me keep up to $150 per week in a part time job and still collect the full UI. But the max I earn anyway is $80 and lately it's only been may be $40/week. It certainly helps, no complaints there, but I am more than likely stuck until I save up enough money to move or they release me. Which may or may not happen because me and my inexperienced supervisor (recently appointed) just dont see eye to eye. Anyway... I am wondering if since the hours are so erratic and have not been much, if that would give me the opp to leave it with my UI unscathed.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2012, 02:39 AM
 
Location: California
4,402 posts, read 11,611,980 times
Reputation: 3129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
You're right there is a section for doing what you suggest, but you have to read between the lines and there is no example to guide you.

Voluntary Quit VQ 365 - Leaving for Other Work to Seek Prospective Employment

"An individual who leaves work to seek other work does not have good cause for leaving the work unless the individual leaves part-time work to seek full-time work because the part-time work prevents an effective search for full-time work."

You'd have the burden to establish that you couldn't effectively search for work, and I just can't come up with a senario where a part time job can do that.

Also, coupled with the move, they may very well find that you moved for personal reasons than that the job market in the new location was significantly better, and you'd have to prove that it was really better.

You can always try to get fired by:

Asking to be made full time.

Asking for a raise.

If they ask you to do something out of the ordinary, say, "that's not my job." (however still do it, but slowly, poorly, and with a surly look on your face. You don't want it to look like insubordination)

Call in sick when you know they'll be really hurting. (only do it like once or twice. Much more and it's a problem)

Get the idea. Nothing in and of it's self is misconduct, but they'll be wanting you gone in a hurry.
Neither can I. I went to school full-time while on UI and it was never an issue, as you can apply online, and would have you off hours to job hunt, and the requirement is only 3 per week.

The getting fired may work...but I am guessing EDD will want an explanation how you got fired and all of a sudden moved. You will have to be prepared to sound really convincing or EDD may conclude that you decided you wanted to move so your job performance suffered because you no longer wanted to be there. That is getting dangerously close to being found gross misconduct (wilfully doing things against the employer) as far as EDD is concerned. And honestly, as it technically would be, you would need to be VERY cautious in how you handed the EDD claim and phone interview.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2012, 03:07 AM
 
13,047 posts, read 19,441,750 times
Reputation: 2295
You bring up a good point about the "calling in sick." I never thought of it because in AZ being "able and available" by case law is not a 24 x 7 thing. So calling in sick one day out of 2 or more scheduled days in a week wouldn't be an issue, but with what you brought up, it might be if you were only scheduled to work one day, and that was the day you called in sick. Also, AZ doesn't bother the PT employer until you file a claim against them or report on the weekly claim from that you are no longer working for them and there is no "all available hours" question. So, HI is much more strick about things.

I think you'd be ok with the temp job because I'm assuming it would be full time for a short time anyway and it would most certainly be considered better.

Doing some digging though. I think not being scheduled, and with no certainty as to your next day of work that you are technically already fired and free to leave.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2012, 03:43 AM
 
Location: Kakaako Honolulu, Hawaii
67 posts, read 179,273 times
Reputation: 55
Thanks Chyvan. Thanks for your response.

Although there was no work for two weeks, I am, however, scheduled for this upcoming Tuesday as well as on Thursday, my normal hours of 5:30 pm to 9:30 pm, which are the nights I do if there are sessions. There was a lull for the past two weeks, but it would be nice to know if this happens again, would it give me an exit strategy. Then again, I'd have to hightail it to California right away and say "I am not nearby" . It's not as if the Part Time earnings affect the UI at all.

Now if I called in sick, it would certainly leave them high and dry, as the supervisor would have to stay until 9:30 pm, but checking off the "were you available to work" and "accept all work offered" is something that I would have to worry about. If I say "no", they will hold the pay and contact me to investigage. But technically I would have been available during the days I am looking for work.. daytime.

I like the possibility of feigning disinterest in the role. Instead of trying to look busy when I've completed something, just surf the net. My main role is to be there when the sessions are going on at the front desk. I don't have any set duties unless the specifically give me something at the start of my shift.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top