Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2012, 05:37 PM

3 posts, read 3,443 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have been on unemployment for like 4-5 months and recently got a job from a temp agency. I worked there for 4 days and I got fired for being 9 min late.

Should I report that 4 days that I earned with them on my claim? Or should I not? I don't want to risk losing unemployment because I got a new job and got fired.

What's your best advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 06:03 PM

25,568 posts, read 56,441,988 times
You must report the earnings the week in which you worked, even if you haven't yet been paid. If you don't, you are guilty fraud. Your state WILL find out about those earnings, eventually, through their databases.

Being fired for being late is NOT grounds for denial of UE. At worst your state may impose a misconduct penalty. But this one incident shouldn't even trigger that. Your state will inquire of the temp agency why you are no longer working. It will respond tardiness. You benefits may be held up during the investigation, but you shouldn't lose them.

You have no choice. Report the earnings.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:04 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,051,853 times
Unemployment Question - Arizona

Answered there, and being on UI only 4 to 5 months is too soon to be resorting to temp agencies. You go to them after your UI runs out or if the job is just long enough to qualify you for a new claim.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:33 PM

330 posts, read 1,456,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
Unemployment Question - Arizona

Answered there, and being on UI only 4 to 5 months is too soon to be resorting to temp agencies. You go to them after your UI runs out or if the job is just long enough to qualify you for a new claim.
Some temp jobs pay a lot more than your weekly benefit amounts. Its good to accept temp jobs because after the assignment is over, you can always reopen your UI benefits claim.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:49 PM

25,568 posts, read 56,441,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaj2 View Post
Some temp jobs pay a lot more than your weekly benefit amounts. Its good to accept temp jobs because after the assignment is over, you can always reopen your UI benefits claim.
Blanket statements cannot be made in this situation and are, in fact, dangerous. In fact, depending on the length of the temp assignment, often one cannot reopen their previous UI benefits claim at all.

Too many people have finished temp work, attempted to reopen their claim, and then find themselves eligible for a new claim with a much lower benefit, and often without the ability to invoke HR4213 to stay on their earlier claim - especially if it is a third claim or their state benefits have not been exhausted, not to mention a new claim might totally eradicate claimant's rights to EUC under his current claim.

There are so many nuances surrounding working while collecting unemployment that there is no one-size fits all for everyone.

Too many variables - where the employee is in his claim, how employable he really is in his field, how much the employee compromises his future rights to his claim by accepting a low-paying temp position.

As a general rule, unless claimant has a long-term temp job which pays close his previous full-time employment or is about to exhaust all his federal benefits, he is usually disadvantaged at a later date by accepting low-paying and/or part-time temp work.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:54 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,051,853 times
That's a subject of debate.

The job may pay more than your UI benefit, but you have to put it in perspective. I can make $240/wk on unemployment staying at home, or I can take a minimum wage temp job for 40 hours/wk and gross $290/wk. So, yes, I can gross more working. Now, because of the different tax treatment of ui benefits vs earned income and the expenses associated with working like childcare, transportation, lunches out, etc I'm probably going to NET less than I would on UI, and I'm out 40 hours of work time, lunch time, commute time, and prep time in the morning (I don't put on make up unless I have an interview.) There is no point in taking a temp job unless it pays a LOT more than you'd get on UI. The economics change only after you're near the end of your benefits or have exhausted them.

Then there is the horrible things that temp agencies can do to thwart you reopening your claim, and it changes what is "suitable" work for you from here on out. This claimant was fired over a tardy. That would be very unlikely to happen at a real job considering the time and effort that employers go through in hiring and recruiting.

Yes temp jobs can work out, but only the most unemployment savvy should go that route, or people not on UI with nothing to lose. As what happened to the claimant above, you end up with no temp job, delayed or cancelled benefits with bills coming in, and it's not worth the risk unless you have one hell of a bankroll to smooth out the rough patches.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Blanket statements cannot be made in this situation and are, in fact, dangerous. In fact, depending on the length of the temp assignment, often one cannot reopen their previous UI benefits claim at all.

Too many people have finished temp work, attempted to reopen their claim, and then find themselves eligible for a new claim with a much lower benefit, and often without the ability to invoke HR4213 to stay on their earlier claim - especially if it is a third claim or their state benefits have not been exhausted, not to mention a new claim might totally eradicate claimant's rights to EUC under his current claim.

There are so many nuances surrounding working while collecting unemployment that there is no one-size fits all for everyone.

Too many variables - where the employee is in his claim, how employable he really is in his field, how much the employee compromises his future rights to his claim by accepting a low-paying temp position.

As a general rule, unless claimant has a long-term temp job which pays close his previous full-time employment or is about to exhaust all his federal benefits, he is usually disadvantaged at a later date by accepting low-paying and/or part-time temp work.
I tend to agree with you, there are some details that you should take into consideration and you are correct there is no one size fits all. I'm only speaking from first hand expirence herein California.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
That's a subject of debate.

The job may pay more than your UI benefit, but you have to put it in perspective. I can make $240/wk on unemployment staying at home, or I can take a minimum wage temp job for 40 hours/wk and gross $290/wk. So, yes, I can gross more working. Now, because of the different tax treatment of ui benefits vs earned income and the expenses associated with working like childcare, transportation, lunches out, etc I'm probably going to NET less than I would on UI, and I'm out 40 hours of work time, lunch time, commute time, and prep time in the morning (I don't put on make up unless I have an interview.) There is no point in taking a temp job unless it pays a LOT more than you'd get on UI. The economics change only after you're near the end of your benefits or have exhausted them.

Then there is the horrible things that temp agencies can do to thwart you reopening your claim, and it changes what is "suitable" work for you from here on out. This claimant was fired over a tardy. That would be very unlikely to happen at a real job considering the time and effort that employers go through in hiring and recruiting.

Yes temp jobs can work out, but only the most unemployment savvy should go that route, or people not on UI with nothing to lose. As what happened to the claimant above, you end up with no temp job, delayed or cancelled benefits with bills coming in, and it's not worth the risk unless you have one hell of a bankroll to smooth out the rough patches.
True enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment