Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 04:29 PM

330 posts, read 1,456,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Either they get a job or they get on welfare handouts.

Don't expect anything to get better for a long long time -- with 2 million people being given work visas, there's going to be a whole lot of competition out there for work.
People should be looking for work while on unemployment. You're not supposed to wait until you exhaust benefits to start looking for work.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:49 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
What Do the Jobless do when Unemployment Runs Out?

The question seems to beg an answer from someone whose UE benefits have actually run-out, but, for whatever reason, the only folks on this and similar forums ... are still waiting for their benefits to run-out ... or only speculating about what will happen when UE runs-out!

Why is that?? --- Is the reality that they simply continue to draw benefits from other sources? ... or find jobs? ... or do they all go to live under bridges? ... or does life somehow just 'continue on?'

CAN anyone who has actually experienced this provide an answer? ...
I did and since my husband isn't on this forum it's the only answer you'll get from this family. As a 1099 employee for the last 7 years I have not been eligible for UE and what benefits he had (less than $200/wk) ended in April. Sorry, you can't control who posts in a thread!

Old 08-18-2012, 05:26 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaj2 View Post
People should be looking for work while on unemployment. You're not supposed to wait until you exhaust benefits to start looking for work.
True. Some advisers have mentioned in publications to "do nothing the first month to grieve." This is wrong esp in today's market. The longer one is out of work the gap grows. Charging back into the game is usually best when still fresh and motivated, Despite the loss of a job usually being a huge blow. Success is the best revenge and in some cases the change is welcome if the individual is not happy where they are. many are not, but tolerate it as they have regular income. Some wind up better then before even.

To the OP with the 1099 situation, I hope you bounce back soon. The market is certainly tough still these days. Keep moving forward.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:17 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
True. Some advisers have mentioned in publications to "do nothing the first month to grieve." This is wrong esp in today's market. The longer one is out of work the gap grows. Charging back into the game is usually best when still fresh and motivated, Despite the loss of a job usually being a huge blow. Success is the best revenge and in some cases the change is welcome if the individual is not happy where they are. many are not, but tolerate it as they have regular income. Some wind up better then before even.

To the OP with the 1099 situation, I hope you bounce back soon. The market is certainly tough still these days. Keep moving forward.

When you first lose your job it takes a month to get of the initial shock. Most people are not seeking employment as soon as they are laid off because they are trying to get their mind right

Old 08-19-2012, 06:52 PM

42 posts, read 300,846 times
The economy will worsen in California in 2013 if Tiers 1-4 federal extensions are abruptly stopped in december 2012. EDD states we are at 10.7% UE which is awful --- that does not count the 900,000+ folks living here who have exhausted all benefits. Not sure what direction this country is headed.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:54 PM

42 posts, read 300,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
When you first lose your job it takes a month to get of the initial shock. Most people are not seeking employment as soon as they are laid off because they are trying to get their mind right

Definitely agree with your comment. After working 40 years post 2008 -- it took me months to recover and adjust.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:35 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz47 View Post
Definitely agree with your comment. After working 40 years post 2008 -- it took me months to recover and adjust.
Yeah because you haven't really accepted that your time is done at that place. Especially if you enjoyed working there. Now if you hated the job it could be a blessing to some but I never worked everyday at a job that I hated

Old 08-20-2012, 06:08 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
If you still have health benefits I would recommend seeking counseling and asking your primary doc for anti depressants. Generic Prozac is $4 for a 30 day supply. A prospective employer won't give a rats a@@ that you needed a month to 'get over the shock '

Old 08-20-2012, 06:12 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Learn a skill. People that can work with their hands will be able to survive. Our society has changed. People will no longer be given a pay check for forwarding jokes by email all day in a cubicle.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:48 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
If you still have health benefits I would recommend seeking counseling and asking your primary doc for anti depressants. Generic Prozac is $4 for a 30 day supply. A prospective employer won't give a rats a@@ that you needed a month to 'get over the shock '
Most employer sponsored health insurance expires the day of the layoff and UEC doesn't pay enough to afford to continue COBRA coverage.

Losing your job changes your life and it does take some time to get over the shock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment