U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 08-14-2012, 12:55 PM

26 posts, read 22,087 times
Default Confused from NJ.. PLEASE Help ..

I live in NJ and I'm so confused about the whole unemployment process.

My question is:
Date of Unemployment Claim: 02/26/2012
I get $300 weekly
My balance will dry up in less than 3 weeks (September 1st 2012)

what will happened next?
i understand that Emergency Unemployment Benefits is no longer available in NJ?
so what now? any other sources of extended benefits? how much would i get? and for how long??

I am living a nightmare and so worried

thanks

Last edited by PoorSam; 08-14-2012 at 01:04 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-14-2012, 01:04 PM

12,353 posts, read 14,345,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorSam View Post
what will happened next?
i understand that Emergency Unemployment Benefits is no longer available in NJ?
so what now? any other sources of extended benefits? how much would i get? and for how long??
How do you "understand" this? Are you listening to hearsay which is conflating Extended Benefits with EUC? Per NJ website:

Quote:
Federal Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) Benefits to Continue On February 22, 2012, President Obama signed The Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Creation Act of 2012 (H.R. 3630). This federal legislation extends Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) benefits through December 2012. Additionally, it incorporates other significant changes and additional requirements to the program.

The legislation does not include any additional weeks of benefits. But, it does extend the current filing deadlines. The new law extends federal benefits through January 2, 2013. All federal extension benefits will cease, no matter where individuals are in the process, with the week ending December 29, 2012. More

Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Unemployment Insurance

Better explanation here:
Department of Labor and Workforce Development | New Developments on Federal Unemployment Extensions

Emergency Unemployment Benefits will be paid to 12/29/2012.

Also, see FAQS: http://www.city-data.com/forum/25250900-post6.html

Unread 08-14-2012, 01:13 PM

Thank you so much, so what will happen in 3 weeks? can i apply for Emergency Unemployment Benefits until December 2012? how much will get? $300? and how can i apply for Emergency Unemployment Benefits?

Also, According to NJ DOL website: State Extended Benefits (EB) Program Has Ended in New Jersey The United States Department of Labor (USDOL) has informed New Jersey authorities that Extended Unemployment Insurance Benefits, also known as the federal EB program, will no longer be available to long-term unemployed people in New Jersey as of July 7, 2012.

New Jersey no longer qualifies for the federal EB program that provided up to 20 additional weeks of jobless benefits to the long-term unemployed in high-unemployment states. Effective June 16, 2012, the EB program closed in New Jersey.

There was a three week EB "phase-out period" from that date. As a result, an EB claim could be filed up to the Sunday before the established final payment date. This means the last date that EB payments may be made is the week ending on July 7, 2012.

Claimants filing for EB may file their claims through July 1, 2012 if they remain unemployed. However, under federal law, New Jersey cannot pay any EB after the week ending on July 7, 2012. Unfortunately, no additional Federal or State Unemployment Insurance assistance is available at this time through the New Jersey Division of Unemployment Insurance

Unread 08-14-2012, 01:20 PM

Why are you quoting that language on Extended Benefits? I just told you EB has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with EUC.

Please read the NJ links and FAQS. All your answers are there.

Unread 08-14-2012, 01:30 PM

OK ...I have been in this country for 4 years and English is my second language ... and i am having hard time understanding the advanced language on the DOL website, i thought that you told me i can get Emergency Unemployment Benefits until paid to 12/29/2012. then at the same time nj does not offer Emergency Unemployment Benefits ??? i find that contradicting ... i'm sorry for keeping asking the same questions...but as you can tell, I'm not that good at this at all ...

Unread 08-14-2012, 01:40 PM

2,906 posts, read 2,932,703 times
Extended Benefits (EB) does not equal Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC)

You're reading the wrong stuff on NJ's website.

Unread 08-14-2012, 01:47 PM

oh i get it ...so you are saying i CAN NOT get State Extended Benefits but i CAN get Emergency Unemployment Benefits will be paid to 12/29/2012 ...? if this is the case...how much would i get after 3 weeks from Emergency Unemployment Benefits (when i have no balance) ( i get $300 weekly now) ? i need to know because i can barely pay my rent and my bills as is ..also how can apply for Emergency Unemployment Benefits?

thank you all

Unread 08-14-2012, 02:32 PM

234 posts, read 264,825 times
NJ will put you on tier 1 and than tier 2 after that tier 3 and tier 4 are all attached to the unemployment rate but everything ends as 12/29/2012 until the government does the 2013 budget. You can look on the internet there is a lot of information written about it.

Unread 11-14-2012, 05:11 PM

1 posts, read 5,349 times
Can someone exlpain to me if I exhausted my tier 3 benifits this week ending September 3rd will I recieve tier 4 benifits of 6 weeks?

Unread 11-14-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyland View Post
Can someone exlpain to me if I exhausted my tier 3 benifits this week ending September 3rd will I recieve tier 4 benifits of 6 weeks?
You get 6 weeks. If you exhausted your last week of Tier 3 with week ending Saturday, 9/1, even though you filed for that week on 9/3, you are perceived to have received entitlement for Tier 4 as it existed on Sunday, August 26th.

You need to have exhausted Tier 3 with week ending 9/8 in order to be eligible for 10 weeks Tier 4 - essentially receiving entitlement to 10-week Tier 4 in its new form on September 2 - the effective date of 10-week Tier 4.

You get 6 weeks.

Quote:
In order to access Tier 4 for 10 weeks, you must exhaust Tier 3 no earlier than September 8, 2012. If it appears you will be exhausting Tier 3 on 9/1 or earlier, you might still access 10-week Tier 4 if you are willing to suspend claiming the appropriate number of weeks by which you are missing the 9/8 eligibility date.

This strategy was recently discussed, here: Tier 4 in CA

http://www.city-data.com/forum/25250900-post6.html
This information has been posted on this board in FAQS since July.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment