Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 09:15 AM

426 posts, read 1,908,878 times

Advertisements

I just went into the unemployment site to see any updates on my hearing.

It says my appeal was reversed. I do not have the paperwork back but I cannot begin to thank those on this site who gave me encouragement .

Chyvan was mainly responsible for walking me through the appeals process to make sure I was prepared . He spent several hours with me going over the items.

I owe this victory to him as much as anyone but thank all those who encouraged me.

To my trillion dollar banking employer who kicked me out for no reason ? ...........%@$ you lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 09:27 AM

18 posts, read 340,537 times
GREAT news!

Your banking employer and my insurance employer can suck it. LOL

Old 09-06-2012, 09:37 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,069,269 times
These things can be fought, and won. It's not a waste of time. I hope you'll be coming back and sharing the "findings of fact" and the "decision and conclusions of law" so that others can benefit from your positive experience.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFValleyGal View Post
GREAT news!

Thats right so if they deny you, come back and chyvan will walk you through what you need to know.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:00 PM

373 posts, read 643,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFValleyGal View Post
GREAT news!

I was fired by an insurance employer!

Old 09-07-2012, 12:42 PM

The decision arrived today. Here it is :

Issues Involved

SEPARATION : Whether the claimant was discharged for misconduct connected with work or voluntarily left work without good cause as defined by statute blah blah...........

CHARGES TO EMPLOYER RECORD: Whether the benefit payments made to the claimant shall be charged to the employer record pursuant to section blah blah ..........

Finding of Fact: The claimant worked for the employer as a XXXXXX from XXXXX to XXXXX when he was discharged for allegedly manipulating the phone system in order to enhance his statistics falsely. The claimant did not manipulate the phone system.

Conclusions of Law : As of June 27 2011 Florida Statue blah blah defines misconduct connected with work as , but is not limited to the following which may or may not be construed as pari materia with each other.

a) Concious disregard of employer interests found to be deliberate blah blah

b) carless or negligence to a degree of substantial disregard of employer interests blah blah

c) chronic absenteeism

d) willful and deliberate of a state regulation in connection with the employers responsibility or licence.

e) a violation of employer rule unless the claimant can show he was

i) not aware or could not reasonable be aware of the rule or its requirements

ii) rule was not lawful

iii) rule was not fairly applied .

The record reflects the claimant wad discharged. When a claimant has been discharged from his employment, it is incumbent upon the employer to prove that he was discharged for misconduct connected with his work before benefits can be denied. In order to do so , the employer must show by a preponderance of competent evidence that the claimant engaged in the misconduct , and it violated his duties and obligations to the employer.

(Judge now cites case law supporting the need for above evidence under Florida Statutes . Case law used was supreme court issued in 1987)

The employer has not issued evidence to establish the claimant was discharged for misconduct of any kind. The employer presented evidence regarding the calls that she claims led to the recommendation of dismissal which was hearsay. The employer presents no firsthand evidence any calls took place. The employer further provides no first hand evidence the claimant committed phone manipulation.

The employer testifies to what she heard on the recording of phone calls but does not provide any actual transcripts or tape recordings of the phone calls themselves. The best evidence rule, set forth in section 90.952 Florida statutes provides that an original recording or transcript or photograph is required in order to prove the contents of the writing or recordings or photograph. Testimony about the contents of a recording is hearsay.

Hearsay may be used to support or supplement finding of fact under sections blah blah...........

In the instant case, the claimants first hand testimony that he did not manipulate the phone system is deemed to be more credible than the hearsay testimony of the employer. Therefore the employers hearsay cannot be used to support any finding of fact.

Additionally , even if the employers testimony regarding the content of the calls was deemed credible, the employer does not provide any evidence the calls were the claimants and not another employees. Further to this , even if the calls were proven to be the claimants, the content of the calls does not constitute phone manipulation as stated in the finding of fact.

Discounting the hearsay evidence and the above considerations, there remains no competent, substantial evidence in the record establishing misconduct by the employee . Therefore, the claimant is not subject to disqualification.

Decision: The determination dated July 30 2012, disqualifying the claimant and relieving the employer's account of charges, is reversed.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee............... .....

Old 09-07-2012, 01:29 PM

Wow. That was a really good decision. If I were an employer reading that, I wouldn't waste my time on an appeal to the board of review.

The ALJ covered all bases.

I still think it sucks that you had to wait for your UI, but I'm really happy for you, and hope it provides encouragement for others that are discharged that it's very worth the effort to get these benefits as meager as they sometimes are.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:08 PM

I owe a lot of it to you Chyvan. Thank you for helping me prepare for my appeal.

I know my employer didnt bother to even ask me about it or try to prove it, but its still good to know that the judge ruled that even if they had, it wasnt phone manipulation.

If there is anything I can do for you or for anyone else on here fighting mean employers who have wronged them, let me know.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:46 PM

It does not appear that my employer is going to contest it. I still know a lot of people there and they tell me that management acts on it pretty quickly if they were going to appeal. I know its 20 days but so far so good.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:36 PM

The next level appeal is much more difficult. That decision was written from so many angles to cover proof, credibility, and application of the law, that they'd need some really super clever person combing through the transcript to pull that off. You're probably very safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment