U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-14-2012, 07:24 AM

1 posts, read 6,360 times
Default IL Question About Second Benefit Year

hi there & thanks to all & everyone who post.

i'm in illinois and have been unemployed since 8-18-2011; i haven't found a job yet but am still hopeful. my (first) benefit year just recently ended and i just went through the usual illinois shenanigans where they don't automatically just continue your euc benefits (but i got them re-activated). i've earned enough doing part-time work between 8-18-11 & 8-18-12 to qualify for a second benefit year (at the same rate as first year) but have a question. fyi, i've gotten different answers from ides on this.

Can/should i apply for a new benefit year claim at the end of september or will it automatically/have to be started at the b.y.e of 8-18-12? my thinking is: if my new benefit year starts where the old one ends, 8-18-12, my new 25 week illinois state unemployment benefits will run out ~ the end of jan 2013 but if i can file my second year claim to take effect near the end of september (this will still include my full-time 2nd & 3rd quarter 2011 work earnings so that i qualify for the same benefit amount) these benefits won't run out until ~ 6-7 weeks later in mid march 2013. it would be nice if illinois let the euc finish and then started the state benefits (my tier 2 ends ~ mid october) but it seems they don't.

what does anyone know about these things? thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 08:47 AM

105 posts, read 177,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surbs View Post
hi there & thanks to all & everyone who post.

i'm in illinois and have been unemployed since 8-18-2011; i haven't found a job yet but am still hopeful. my (first) benefit year just recently ended and i just went through the usual illinois shenanigans where they don't automatically just continue your euc benefits (but i got them re-activated). i've earned enough doing part-time work between 8-18-11 & 8-18-12 to qualify for a second benefit year (at the same rate as first year) but have a question. fyi, i've gotten different answers from ides on this.

Can/should i apply for a new benefit year claim at the end of september or will it automatically/have to be started at the b.y.e of 8-18-12? my thinking is: if my new benefit year starts where the old one ends, 8-18-12, my new 25 week illinois state unemployment benefits will run out ~ the end of jan 2013 but if i can file my second year claim to take effect near the end of september (this will still include my full-time 2nd & 3rd quarter 2011 work earnings so that i qualify for the same benefit amount) these benefits won't run out until ~ 6-7 weeks later in mid march 2013. it would be nice if illinois let the euc finish and then started the state benefits (my tier 2 ends ~ mid october) but it seems they don't.

what does anyone know about these things? thanks.
I recently reached the end of my benefit year on September 1, 2012 and still had about 8 weeks of EUC Tier 1 benefits left. I filed for my second year September 4, 2012 (Labor Day was the 3rd.) I did it over the phone rather than via the internet this year just to make sure everyone was on the same page-talking with a rep helps answer all those nagging questions doing it on-line won't.

They started paying me right away on my new claim-no waiting week since it is a transition claim-which is $5 a week more than my old claim. I do believe you must file right after your old benefit year ends but I could be wrong. I too thought of trying to stretch out my new claim but from the research I did I don't that is possible. Could be wrong.

Carol-Lynn

Old 09-14-2012, 09:48 AM

13,849 posts, read 17,832,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surbs View Post
i'm in illinois and have been unemployed since 8-18-2011; i've earned enough doing part-time work between 8-18-11 & 8-18-12 to qualify for a second benefit year (at the same rate as first year)

Illinois is not allowed to pay EUC if you are eligible for a new state claim. Fed regs require monetary determinations for new state claims must be made quarterly and at the bye for anyone collecting EUC. Therefore, at your bye, if you continue to claim, Illinois is REQUIRED and will automatically file a new claim for you before continuing on EUC. Unless your new benefit is $100 or 25% lower than the present benefit, Illinois will pay the new state benefit, not EUC.

If you want to start that new benefit year later at a potentially higher benefit, stop claiming before Illinois does its automatic bye recertification and establishes a new benefit year for you. Refile in October (not September), when earnings through June 2012 will be included in your base year.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:24 PM

2 posts, read 9,975 times
My regular 6 months of unemployment ran out and I was sent a letter stating I qualify for a 2nd year with the same amount , 2 weeks later they sent me a letter stating I was eligible for en extension that goes back to 2008 and I would be recieving 1/2 my original pay. Can you tell me whats going on and what can I do if anything about this. When did this become legal? I am unable to pay my bills.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspokenword4me View Post
My regular 6 months of unemployment ran out and I was sent a letter stating I qualify for a 2nd year with the same amount , 2 weeks later they sent me a letter stating I was eligible for en extension that goes back to 2008 and I would be recieving 1/2 my original pay. Can you tell me whats going on and what can I do if anything about this. When did this become legal? I am unable to pay my bills.
What has happened to you has happened to many others.

Under EUC regs, if you have unexhausted EUC from an older claim, those benefits must be paid before EUC benefits on more recent claims. Sorry to say, there isn't anything you can do about this.

Congress has passed PL 111-205 which allows deferral of payment on new, lower paying claims provided the new benefit is $100 or 25% lower than your current benefit. Since you very likely don't have a new claim and hadn't yet begun EUC on this latest claim, that law doesn't apply in your case.

The letter from Illinois on a new claim was an error which occurred when Illinois, under EUC regs, performed a required monetary determination for new state claim eligibility before transferring you to EUC. These notices on what are later determined to be invalid claims occur all the time. Illinois' computers erroneously picked up lag earnings from your first employer thinking they were new earnings. If you haven't worked since you filed for benefits, you are not eligible for a new claim at this time.

I wish the news was better.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:53 PM

2 posts, read 9,975 times
Thank you for your response. Since I posted this question I did go down to the IDES and filed an appeal because I actually did work a parttime job the entire time I was receiving unemployment . According to thier rules and regulations I could earn 1/2 my weekly benefit pay, so I did. I worked on my past job that I was receiving my original benefits on for almost 5 years. I should have been able to claim an extension on that first shouldn't I ? along with the money I made on my part time job. I get what you're saying I had an extension already there from 2008 that had to be used first, But couldn't I be eligible because of my part time earnings? I know I sound redondent but I'm really having a hard time and want to make sure that all my posibilities are exhausted. This just seems so unfair.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Since I posted this question I did go down to the IDES and filed an appeal because I actually did work a parttime job the entire time I was receiving unemployment . According to thier rules and regulations I could earn 1/2 my weekly benefit pay, so I did. I worked on my past job that I was receiving my original benefits on for almost 5 years. I should have been able to claim an extension on that first shouldn't I ?
No. I explained that, and you said you understood, here:
Quote:
I get what you're saying I had an extension already there from 2008 that had to be used first,
Quote:
But couldn't I be eligible because of my part time earnings? I know I sound redondent but I'm really having a hard time and want to make sure that all my posibilities are exhausted. .
You will be eligible for a new claim on the basis of those part-time earnings - most likely when you reach the end of your current benefit year. It is probably too soon, at this time, for Illinois to consider those part-time earnings for a new claim, although I have heard of Illinois encouraging people to file for new claims prior to their bye in order to take advantage of lag earnings - although that case involved someone who'd been collecting EUC into her second benefit year. Let us know if your appeal is successful.

That said, if you've been working while collecting state benefits, chances are you should be reaching the end of your benefit year soon. At that time, you should have eligibility for a new claim.

When does your second claim expire?

Last edited by Ariadne22; 03-20-2013 at 07:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment