U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-16-2012, 06:54 AM

11 posts, read 26,362 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I have exhausted my 26 weeks of regular unemployment benefits. I claim from New York State. I have been reading everything and am still confused as to whether or not I am eligible for emergency unemployment compensation.

My initial claim for regular benefits was filed on March 5, 2012. I have a remaining balance of zero as of today (9/16/12). The system allowed me to place another claim, which I did, but the balance has not been adjusted. I don't know if this is because I am not eligible or simply because no payment can be issued till tomorrow (aka the next business day) anyway.

Is EUC affected by the unemployment rate? I read that Extended Benefits are no longer available in New York because the unemployment rate dropped below 8.5%, but I don't know if that means that EUC is also no longer available. Additionally, would these factors effect me as someone who's initial claim was 6 months ago, or is this something that only affects new applicants?

Thank you very much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 09:07 AM

32 posts, read 40,747 times
I think NY lost EB which is the benefit after tier 4, not all extended benefits. You should be good until the end of the year.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:28 AM

Borderwatch.

Thank you for your reply. Should I be concerned with the fact that the balance hasn't be readjusted since my claim? I claimed this morning, which is not a business day. I don't know if that is a factor.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:49 PM

14,380 posts, read 19,160,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderwatch View Post
I think NY lost EB which is the benefit after tier 4, not all extended benefits. You should be good until the end of the year.
This is incorrect. NY stopped paying Tier 4 on September 2 and resumed paying EB on September 10, as I posted on another thread.

Quote:
New York concludes a 13 week mandatory "on" period in Tier 4 of EUC.
In New York, where weeks end on a Sunday, a 13 week mandatory "on" period began for Tier 4 of the EUC program on June 4, 2012. This mandatory 13-week "on" period concludes on September 2, 2012. Because the current trigger rate for New York is 8.9%, below the 9.0% threshold to remain on in Tier 4, New York has triggered off Tier 4 of EUC and will conclude an eligibility period in Tier 4 of EUC on September 2. Claimants in New York exhausting Tier 3 after September 2, 2012 can no longer establish Tier 4 eligibility. Under the phase-out provisions, claimants in New York can receive any remaining entitlement they have in Tier 4 after September 2, 2012.

New York resumed a payable period in the EB program beginning September 10, 2012.
Based on data released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics on May 18, 2012, New York no longer met one of the criteria to remain "on" in EB, i.e., having their current three month average, seasonally adjusted total unemployment rate be at least 110% of one of the rates from a comparable period in one of the three prior years. This triggered New York "off" in the EB program and the end of the payable period was the week ending June 10, 2012. New York will have served the full 13 week "off" period on September 9, 2012. Given that the trigger rate in New York is currently at 8.9%, and one look-back is at 110%, the 13 week mandatory "off" period has concluded and New York meets the criteria to resume a High Unemployment Period (HUP) in the EB program. This payable period started with the week beginning September 10, 2012, and the maximum potential entitlement in the EB program in New York is 20 weeks.

http://workforcesecurity.doleta.gov/unemploy/claims_arch.asp

http://www.city-data.com/forum/26105770-post352.html
None of what you have posted is relevant to OP's Q. Please do not comment on the UE program unless you have good familiarity with it.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs85 View Post
I have exhausted my 26 weeks of regular unemployment benefits. I claim from New York State. I have been reading everything and am still confused as to whether or not I am eligible for emergency unemployment compensation.

My initial claim for regular benefits was filed on March 5, 2012. I have a remaining balance of zero as of today (9/16/12). The system allowed me to place another claim, which I did, but the balance has not been adjusted. I don't know if this is because I am not eligible or simply because no payment can be issued till tomorrow (aka the next business day) anyway.
You are eligible for EUC if total earnings in your base-year equals 1.5x your high quarter earnings, or if your claim is based on at least 20 weeks' wages. Most 26 week claims qualify for EUC.

NY needs to do an earnings test for possible new state claim eligibility before it transitions you to EUC, so there may be a few days' delay. If you still can't claim in the next couple of days, call NY. If this is not the first claim on which you've collected EUC, the transition may take longer.

Quote:
Is EUC affected by the unemployment rate?
You are NOT affected at this time by UE rate. There is no trigger for Tier 1. See FAQS for other triggers.

Quote:
I read that Extended Benefits are no longer available in New York because the unemployment rate dropped below 8.5%,
No longer correct.
  1. NY has resumed paying EB, effective September 10 (see post #4).
  2. NY no longer pays Tier 4, effective September 2 (see post #4).
  3. None of this affects you at this time because you will be collecting EUC Tier 1 for the next 14 weeks and two or three weeks of Tier 2 before year-end.
  4. All benefit payments end 12/29/2012, regardless of balance, unless Congress extends legislation.
Quote:
but I don't know if that means that EUC is also no longer available.
EUC and EB are separate programs with separate parameters. See FAQS, posts 2, 3, and 6.

Unemployment FAQs

Quote:
Additionally, would these factors effect me as someone who's initial claim was 6 months ago, or is this something that only affects new applicants?
Any changes to EUC/EB affect ALL applicants. However, once you begin an EUC tier, you can complete it. EB benefits end when the state triggers off.

All federal payments end for all programs, regardless of balance, on December29, 2012. See FAQS, post 6.

Quote:
Should I be concerned with the fact that the balance hasn't be readjusted since my claim? I claimed this morning, which is not a business day. I don't know if that is a factor.
There may be a delay before you can begin Tier 1. See above.

Last edited by JMT; 09-18-2012 at 03:49 AM..

Old 09-16-2012, 03:00 PM

234 posts, read 336,423 times
Ariadne22 since you seem to be very on top of these rules i have a question. if you receive tier 4 and it runs out early next year and your state is 110% above one of the past 3 years at that time do you receive eb still and for how many weeks? i know you said everything ends this year but again i ask this question because there is a bill that passed the house that extends the fiscal cliff for 6 months i am assuming unemployment benefits won't be extended in it with additional weeks but it will carryover the same policy. the president has not signed it but i assuming in this question that it makes it to him and he does sign it.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:15 PM

Whatever Congress is doing now on raising the debt ceiling and kicking the can down the road on the fiscal cliff has NOTHING to do with UE benefits. All benefits end 12/29/2012 unless Congress extends that particular piece of legislation past its 1/2/2013 expiration date. Look for Congress to start talking about this in November.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:41 AM

Thank you everyone for your responses. FYI, if you filed on a weekend in New York and you're crossing into Tier 1, the balance does indeed take 1 extra day to get readjusted. Hope that information can help someone. Best of luck

Old 02-11-2013, 11:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,443 times
I filled first time for a extension.after exhausting my 26 weeks.i got a response saying euc initial allowed.imm unable to view the rest of message but my ballance has stayed the same.0.should i expect a check on schedule or .?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment