U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 09:46 PM

8,886 posts, read 12,662,477 times

Advertisements

My friend that's been on unemployment (EDD) received a letter today stating that his benefits went from $450 per week to $375 per week, and the ending date of his new claim is September 2013.

He asked me to post the information here to see if anyone knows anything about it, and he now lives in Idaho.

Any help is appreciated, and I'll pass it on to him.
TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 10:27 PM

14,431 posts, read 19,367,852 times
Your friend must have been working while collecting benefits.

He has either reached the end of his state benefits, the end of his benefit year, or the end of an EUC tier. In any of those events, CA needs to test for new state claim eligibility.

Those new earnings have created a NEW claim at $375/week. The new state claim benefits must be paid before any federal benefits. He has one year to collect those new state claim benefits, but not later than September 2013.

If that claim was $100 or 25% below that of his previous benefit, under HR4213 (CA's DNCP program) he could continue to collect the old benefit. However, this new benefit does not meet that test.

Thus, his new benefit is $375/wk until exhausted. If Congress extends the federal legislation, after he has exhausted his state benefits he will then resume EUC benefits on his old claim, provided he has been receiving them until now and provided has not continued to work and does not qualify for yet another new claim.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:15 PM

He hasn't worked at all since he got fired in September of 2011. He plans to collect until he's forced to get a job, so if he's going to get $375 per week until September 13, he won't look for a job. He keeps asking me if he's going to owe taxes to CA for this year, and I just keep telling him that I don't know. I told him he'll find out when he gets his 1099, and I do it.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:46 PM

14,431 posts, read 19,367,852 times
CA found some new earnings somewhere to qualify him for a new claim. At the bottom of his monetary determination letter CA will list the quarters and earnings on which they have based this new claim. If he has never worked at any job since he filed in September 2011 and they are only using earnings from his last employer, this claim is an error.

In that event, he can continue on the $450/week EUC to 12/29, but he would need to contact CA to straighten this out.

He's probably better off with this claim, if CA pays it, because it should continue to March 2013.

However, often when CA opens a new claim erroneously they then void it. This happens all the time. CA also, in that event, might stop sending claim forms entirely.

I think he better find out why CA established this claim since you say he has not worked since September 2011.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:02 AM

I already told him to contact EDD about the claim, because if they overpaid him, they'll want their money back.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:20 AM

105 posts, read 190,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
He hasn't worked at all since he got fired in September of 2011. He plans to collect until he's forced to get a job, so if he's going to get $375 per week until September 13, he won't look for a job. He keeps asking me if he's going to owe taxes to CA for this year, and I just keep telling him that I don't know. I told him he'll find out when he gets his 1099, and I do it.
When they calculated his benefit they started the clock March 2011. If he didn't get fired until September 2011 then he obviously had wages for the quarters ending June 2011 and September 2011 and that's why he qualified for a new benefit year. I'm on the same schedule.

Tell him to look at his award letter and it will tell him how they calculated his benefit.

California does not tax UI benefits-nothing to worry about as far as California goes with respect to taxes. Don't know if Idaho will tax UI benefits. Someone else can chime in on that one. The feds tax UI benefits btw but he probably already knows this.

Carol-Lynn

Old 09-20-2012, 09:31 AM

234 posts, read 339,263 times
yes he will probably owe some taxes if he is not having them take it out now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
He keeps asking me if he's going to owe taxes to CA for this year, and I just keep telling him that I don't know. I told him he'll find out when he gets his 1099, and I do it.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by around1999 View Post
yes he will probably owe some taxes if he is not having them take it out now.
Federal taxes have been taken out all along. That's not what I started the thread about.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol7lynn View Post
When they calculated his benefit they started the clock March 2011. If he didn't get fired until September 2011 then he obviously had wages for the quarters ending June 2011 and September 2011 and that's why he qualified for a new benefit year. I'm on the same schedule.

Tell him to look at his award letter and it will tell him how they calculated his benefit.

California does not tax UI benefits-nothing to worry about as far as California goes with respect to taxes. Don't know if Idaho will tax UI benefits. Someone else can chime in on that one. The feds tax UI benefits btw but he probably already knows this.

Carol-Lynn
He was fired in September 2011, EDD started paying him in October of 2011, and I was under the impression that he would have collected all of that by now.

There's a possibility that he may owe state taxes to CA and ID, because he's part-year in both states, we just don't know yet.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:08 AM

I get unemployment benefits every year, because I work part-time. Sometimes I get a lot, sometimes I get a little. Last year I got $76 per week, this year I'm getting $152 per week. I'm curious to see what I get next year, but I'm waiting to hear on a second part-time job, so hopefully, I won't need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment