U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 04:08 PM

5 posts, read 56,012 times

Advertisements

I have a question regarding what reason I should give for termination during my unemployment interview tomorrow.

On my Unemployment App I think I stated a disagreement with new management over my time-card.

What happened was, HR called me into their office and told me the hours I claimed on my time-card were inaccurate and that the overtime I was taking was not authorized by my new manager. After giving them my reasons for my time-card they said they would review the evidence and get back to me. The next day after working there for 8+ years they terminated me but said they would not contest my unemployment.

Could you please give me advise as to what to say on the phone interview. I was thinking of just saying they told me I didn't have permission to work overtime. And what do you think my chances are here of receiving unemployment.

What do you think?

Thank you so much!

NewbieA1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 04:58 PM

4,201 posts, read 4,843,702 times
If the employer is truly not contesting, the less you say the better. What did you say on your application for UI? That is what you need to live with. Don't say anymore or elaborate.

A truly noncontesting employer will not respond to the UI inquiry or will simply say "discharged" and give no reason. What you don't want to do is say anything that will disqualify yourself.

Having read your story, a disagreement about a time card could mean you were asking about a shortage in your check. Whatever you do, don't make it into a "working unauthorized overtime" issue. Also, just confining yourself to a timecard/paycheck shortage would not be disqualifying, and in the event the employer wants to raise the "unauthorized overtime" issue then you can't be accussed of lying, you'll have admitted to nothing to hurt yourself on appeal, and it will still remain the employer's burden to prove that you truly didn't have permission.

Last edited by Chyvan; 10-10-2012 at 05:08 PM..

Old 10-10-2012, 06:03 PM

234 posts, read 338,836 times
chyvan spends a lot of time knowing the rules. i personally would say nothing but you were let go for financial reasons the hr rep told you and see if you could get away with that answer. i would be as generic as i can unless they ask follow up questions. don't lie

Old 10-10-2012, 06:48 PM

Looking back at my notes I kept it vague.

I simply stated on my app, "Disagreement with new management". Which is true. My new manager, all of 4 months, brought these complaints to HR.

I'm guessing on the phone interview they will ask me what the disagreement was. What should I tell them? We disagreed on whether I was following employee procedures filling out my time-cards. The hours I actually worked versus what the hours they think I worked? Or should I just say we didn't get along?

Technically HR brought up 2 issues before firing me the next day:
1) They accused me of ordering snacks through the company for personal use.
2) They accused me of working OT without my managers permission and not accuratley reporting on my time-card.

I was discharged from one of the biggest media companies in the world and the last thing the HR rep told me was that they would not contest my unemployment. That it was between me and the state of ca.

Thanks for the help. My interview is tomorrow on my Birthday and I'm freaking out a little.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:51 PM

If all you said was "disagreement with new management," then when asked about it, just say, "I quit listen after they fired me, so ask them what it was about because they did all the talking."

Old 10-10-2012, 07:08 PM

Really??? Wont they take that as I have something to hide? And keep peppering me with questions?

Old 10-10-2012, 07:16 PM

Stick to your guns. It's not your responsibility to disqualify yourself. It's the employer's burden to prove it, and what they prove needs to be misconduct.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:29 PM

ok so i will simply say:

I don't know why I was fired. It's all a blur. I'm still in shock. I dont know why they would fire me after 8 1/2 years of service. I wrote in my application, "disagreement with new management" because that's the only thing I could assume. New management didn't like me. And no, new management never warned me.

How's that?

Old 10-10-2012, 07:35 PM

That is quite good. I give it a thumbs up.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:05 PM

Thank you.

And just so I am clear. Because I tell them that I basically don't know, they will check with my employer and since my employer will not contest my unemployment, I should be golden.

Is that the thinking here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment