Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 01:17 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times

Advertisements

So I was let go on June 4th 2012, I believe that still makes me tier 1?

I have a company that is very interested in me but the base salary is very low, but the commission payout is good.

I am seriously thinking about taking a chance on this company, but I am concerned if it doesn't work out I am jeopardizing my UI right now. My UI now is based off of making 50k for 11 month at previous employer, don't know if they factored in my commission. If I go to work for above company my base is reduced to 40k.

If it doesn't work and I am let go from this job, then I believe I can go back on UI, but who's UI money pool is benefits coming from? Orig company 50k, 11 months, or 40k with maybe only 3-5 months?

I live in Colorado if that matters.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 01:25 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,835,373 times
UI benefits are based on your job a year ago. Only thing is if you take a job, and quit, youre not eligible for uI benefits after that. so, if you take the job, you have to be fired, you can't quit and then go back to the old benefits.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
UI benefits are based on your job a year ago. Only thing is if you take a job, and quit, youre not eligible for uI benefits after that. so, if you take the job, you have to be fired, you can't quit and then go back to the old benefits.
Thank you. See I don't think all HR related people are bad

I actually respect you guys more thinking about it the last two weeks. Like someone said you are the cops and the messenger and both get shot at.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:35 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
Besides the money, you should consider work history. If you wait another 3 months, it will be over 6 months of unemployment. Companies will always consider a candidate with recent work experience over a long term unemployed. Since you have been on multiple interviews, one of the companies may come back with a better offer.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Besides the money, you should consider work history. If you wait another 3 months, it will be over 6 months of unemployment. Companies will always consider a candidate with recent work experience over a long term unemployed. Since you have been on multiple interviews, one of the companies may come back with a better offer.
Yes agreed. Unfortunately, I found out I was turned down for two good ones, waiting to see on offer letter for last which I should know by Monday, but they told me I am the least qualified of the final 3, but have skills the other 2 don't. I did a much better job interviewing that the other two but the other 2 are much more qualified, have much more direct exp.

The job I am referencing in my original post I could have on Monday if I want it. I met with the owner 2 years ago he wanted me then, but couldn't pay me a base at all so no go. Now he can pay me a nominal base. I am just trying to stay out of telecom because its so unstable right now. Every major telecom company is hurting, the only ones making money I believe are wireless which I have no direct exp. and generally pays less than B2B telecom sales.

It just funny, a vicious circle. The only companies that really want me are in telecom which is completely unstable. I try to better myself and look for growth industries where I have related exp. and make it to the end of the interview process but no door prize.

My other concern with telecom is there are only so many prospects so eventually I am going to have to challenge my non compete, which generally don't hold up in Colorado. My fear is this. My business prospects were given to my friends and former co-workers so now I will be directly threatening their livelihood and my former employer who has been paying my UI and will pay my UI if let go of by other company within short time.

So I burn bridges with references for the future and if 40k telecom company doesn't work out and I get fired then previous big telecom is going to be looking for vengeance when the find out I am going after old prospects. I have personally seen big telecom vindictively come after former co-worker because he threatened to sue for unpaid commissions and when they fired him they found the best, cutthroat UI mitigation company to make it as difficult as possible for him to get UI. I think they wore him down. He couldn't afford a lawyer.

Onward and forward as they say, it's a number's game.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:02 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,393,736 times
Quote:
Please get your facts straight before posting. The entire bolded section is incorrect

Old 10-11-2012, 07:28 PM

Bunny could you please post what you know I would appreciate it really appreciate it.

My understanding after reading Colorado UI's website calculator this afternoon if I take the new position and last 4 months, was fired for performance, because the 4th month would be a new quarter it would fall back on original employer I was let go from. If I only make it there 1-3 months and was fired for performance, then it falls on newest employer and how much I made there in that time.

When my wife lost her job several years ago she received UI, I am not sure what tier she was in, but she was getting UI for 15 months at that point, then went to work for another company and was fired for performance 4 months later, she went back on UI and it was drastically cut from approx. $450 a week to $75. That's what I am concerned may happen to me.

If anyone knows the answer I would appreciate because after reading through it I am thoroughly confused.

Thank you.

Thanks for moving it did not know about sub forum til now.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Please get your facts straight before posting. The entire bolded section is incorrect
maybe you should clarify then. Cause here in Texas, you take a job while on UI, and then quit, You are not eligible after you quit. The new job will make it you quit, and are ineligible.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:29 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Quote:
maybe you should clarify then. Cause here in Texas, you take a job while on UI, and then quit, You are not eligible after you quit. The new job will make it you quit, and are ineligible.
If you quit for good cause, you can collect benefits. Generally, a substantial change in working conditions such as pay, location, loss of benefits, hours - all are grounds for quit. Or, you were hired to be an IT tech and they had you doing janitorial work. Things like that. In some states, you can quit to take care of an ill relative and collect benefits. A NJ claimant moved to NC to take care of a sick brother. In PA, a man quit to care for a sick mother. Also, many states will pay benefits for a quit if you lose your housing - eviction, foreclosure - and need to move too far away from the job to make it a financially viable position.

The burden of the proof is on the claimant to prove good cause for the quit - which can vary by state. It is a much higher bar, but people quit all the time and collect benefits.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
If you quit for good cause, you can collect benefits. Generally, a substantial change in working conditions such as pay, location, loss of benefits, hours - all are grounds for quit. Or, you were hired to be an IT tech and they had you doing janitorial work. Things like that. In some states, you can quit to take care of an ill relative and collect benefits. A NJ claimant moved to NC to take care of a sick brother. In PA, a man quit to care for a sick mother. Also, many states will pay benefits for a quit if you lose your housing - eviction, foreclosure - and need to move too far away from the job to make it a financially viable position.

The burden of the proof is on the claimant to prove good cause for the quit - which can vary by state. It is a much higher bar, but people quit all the time and collect benefits.
Yes, true, but in the case we're talking about, this wasn't even brought up, or a consideration. To bring this up to someone that is just barely understanding the ins and outs, add this to it, most people will believe, GOOD CAUSE, is, they don't like the job, or they don't like the pay, etc. His only consideration was:
"If it doesn't work and I am let go from this job, then I believe I can go back on UI, but who's UI money pool is benefits coming from? Orig company 50k, 11 months, or 40k with maybe only 3-5 months?"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment