U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-17-2012, 02:48 PM

753 posts, read 704,377 times
Default TN Unemployment Benefits

What is the normal / typical wait time after filing that you receive the first check? I filed 9/27, certified each Monday since and still have nothing. I'm getting worried. The claim has been approved, the amount and length has been determined, but still no money.

Thanks in advance for all replies.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 05:05 PM

13,622 posts, read 17,264,553 times
TN is very slow in response time based on reports we've had. I understand TN doesn't answer its phones, either.

If you don't hear anything by next week, write or call your state legislators. Many people on this board in every state have had instant results doing this.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
TN is very slow in response time based on reports we've had. I understand TN doesn't answer its phones, either.

If you don't hear anything by next week, write or call your state legislators. Many people on this board in every state have had instant results doing this.
The day after I filed, I called them to ask a question and I was on hold for ONE HOUR. I figure if the claim had been denied, I would have heard about that by now and there would be something online under my account to that effect. But, everything is the same, every day.

I'll wait until Friday and see if the money appears on the debit card they sent to me. If it's not there Friday, I will be making a call to my state legislator about it.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post

I called my State Representative the day I posted my last response (10/17) and left a voice mail. I did not receive a return call from his office.

I called the unemployment office again on 11/1 to check the status of my claim, and hopefully speak with a live person without having to wait on hold for an hour. I did finally get through to someone. She was extremely helpful, but told me that as of that date, they had not received a response from my former employer. She took down my statement and suggested that I phone my former employer to find out when they filed their response. I was informed by the office manager that their response was filed on 10/4.

Through a Facebook posting by a high school friend of mine on 11/3 regarding the upcoming election, I mentioned to him that I had phoned this Representative's office and never received a call-back. He took my number and passed it along to the State Representative. On 11/4, I received a call from the Representative and I told him what was going on with the unemployment. On 11/5 at 10:00 a.m. EST, I received a call from his assistant at the state capitol and I gave her all the information she needed. At 2:00 p.m. that same day, I received a call from a SUPERVISOR at the unemployment office! This guy informed me that the "normal" wait was 10-12 weeks! I told him that was ridiculous and asked him why. He said they were still processing claims filed the last week of August and the first week of September. I felt helpless at that point. But, I asked him if he had received a call from the Representative's office, and he said yes.

Keep in mind that from the first day I received my debit card, I checked the account DAILY to see if any money was there. On 11/8, I checked my account and THE MONEY WAS THERE!!! Six weeks worth!

Calling your State Representative helps!!! I firmly believe if I hadn't of called him back in October and got the ball rolling, I would still be waiting on my money.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:16 PM

Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Thanks for the update. Gotta love those social networking sites. If a voice mail doesn't work, a Facebook encounter will.

I must say, filing on 9/27 and not getting money until 11/8 - and that only because you got your case put to the front of the line - is the worst I've heard on slow processing for an uncontested initial claim. If there is no waiting week, most states are paying people within one week, at the outside two.

Clearly, TN is under no pressure - unless someone like you rattles a few cages - to relieve financial pressure on people who've lost their jobs. Nor do they seem to care. Wonder what they think these people are doing while they wait three months? Do they believe everyone has an emergency fund which will carry them over for three months or more? Are the State of TN social services more responsive? Some of these people do need to eat, after all.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:10 PM

Thank you, and I totally agree about the unacceptable wait time. I asked the interviewer who took my statement why and how does the TN Unemployment office think that us unemployed folk can manage with NO income for a month or two? When the major household income is suddenly eliminated, it throws the entire household into financial shock. Not everyone has a "nest egg." We certainly didn't.

For anyone who is in the same situation with waiting for weeks -- call the State Representative for your district!!!

Old 11-15-2012, 07:15 PM

Or email and call. When these offices get something in writing, it seems more substantive somehow, than a voice mail. You were fortunate your Facebook contact intervened. Otherwise, you would have needed to call this guy again.

Other posters here have emailed, some have written letters via snail mail. All have received immediate reponse and resolution.

Thanks for reporting back. Glad it worked out. You might in the mid-term elections contact your state representatives during their campaigns and hold their feed to the fire on this issue. Two or three months without benefits is NOT acceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment